Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Questions about long runs.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Questions about long runs. Reply with quote

My weekly regiment includes one long run. I did an 8 miler today. I know for you hard core guys that doesn't sound to long, but its the longest I've ever ran in my life. (And I did it on my 25th birthday. Semper Fi. Evil or Very Mad )

Anyway it wasn't bad while I was doing it, but I'm noticing more aches and pains than I anticipated. Blisters on my feet as well. Do your long runs tend to beat you up without really physically draining you? The whole run was at easy run pace, so it's not like I'm exhausted, Its just weird little stuff, knees don't feel quite right, ankles, and the stupid blisters.

Should these runs be limited to once a week? The next longest distance in my regiment is 4 miles in combat boots, and my average daily distance is about 3.5, wheather it be intervals or tempo or whatever. So it's kind of a jump when Saturday comes along. (Last Saturday was a 6 miler, and it felt way to easy.)

Being as it is that my target performance distance is 3 miles, 8 seems to be long enough for a long run. I will probably stay at this distance on my Saturdays. Unless anyone has any other advice...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do your long runs tend to beat you up without really physically draining you?

Usually both... It's very normal to have blisters and random muscle and joint aches when getting accustomed to higher mileage, either in total quantity or a daily long run.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the weekly long run will beat you up some until you get used to it. If it is beatign you up too much though you may be doing it too fast. With your goals in mind 8 miles is plenty and once a week is enough. This run should also be your slowest paced run of the week. About 2 minutes per mile slower than your targe pace for the 3 mile.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find it easier to adjust if you build up to a long distance, rather than just throwing it in there. I managed to avoid any problems from my long runs (except for blisters) by starting out with 50 mins max. Then moving up week by week until I was doing about 90 mins.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's especially true if your long run's distance doesn't pertain to any specific race length, i.e. working up to a 20+ miler in preparation for a marathon. Since you're already running beyond "race" distance, you can just focus on steadily upping things.

Dan
Doublehead

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: here is some general advice Reply with quote

I would suspect running in combat boots would cause more blisters than your running shoes. One way I have been able to avoid blisters is to wear two pairs of socks, but don’t try this if your shoes are tight already. You shouldn't get blislters in shoes that fit you.

It sounds like you have a race picked out already, however, if you want to really make big leaps in improvements, the best thing you could do for training is to train in phases.

The first phase would be to concentrate on building up your mileage with one or at the most two workouts where you pick up the pace each week. But when you do pick up the pace, it should be either at the end of your runs or for a good length of time, say 20-30 minutes at a pace that you could run for an hour hard. Most of your running should be at an easy pace. I’ll admit that this part of training is boring and hard at first. Find some dirt trails or grass or other soft surface to prevent impact injuries.

The second phase you would still do quite a bit of mileage but your tempo type runs would be more of the focus. On the tempo runs, you should run at an uncomfortable comfortable pace for 20-40 minutes. Maybe have a 4-6 mile course and once a week run that course hard (with a warm up and cool down). And start to do some strides and maybe a few mile repeats on another day of the week. The rest of your week would be very easy running where you shouldn’t run with a watch. Don’t worry how slow you go on the other days.

The third phase your focus should shift to the shorter stuff to sharpen and build quickness. The focus workout each week would consist of 800’s or 1200’s on the track. Still do the tempo runs once a week but don’t worry about your times because that isn’t the focus. Also, you can cut back some on your mileage but you still want to keep some “junk” mileage. This is where you will start to get really fast. You might want to do a couple build up 5K’s instead of your tempo runs.

Finally, the taper. For a 5K, you won’t need much of a taper but tapering is important to run your fastest.

The biggest mistake most people make (and I understand since it takes lots of patience to do it right) is to jump to the 3rd phase before building a base with the first two phases. Doing speed work before your muscles and cardio system are developed often leads to injury and you won’t get near the same results as you would have had if you did things the right way.
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put gel or other type inserts in Combat Boots, especialy if they are the Jump type such as I had.

In the 70's I used to put the foam type in there and it made things much nicer. Thick socks helped too. On my running pair, I had the shoe repair shop change the soles to Vibrams with a thin black softer rubber in between the sole and the bottom of the boot.

It would not be too much of a streatch to have a pair of running boots with fitted inserts, and a special pair of socks. You might have to try on a couple of sizes and allow for leather stretch etc. Heck I had a special pair of boots just for inspection, one pair for running, one pair for flying...etc. I think at one point I had 6 pairs of boots....and two pairs of inspection fatigues...and one set of inspection webgear... Rolling Eyes

Just my 2 cents worth.

And yes, I am still planning to come down in June. I have to get thru the airshow at Reading on June 6, 7, and 8. After that I am free..... Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running boots? I think I've heard it all now. Confused

Dan
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, everyone.

At this point in my training I am trying to concentrate on improving my speed and efficiency, so I do a lot of intervals, but have recently incorprated tempo runs as well. A bit backwards by the above mentioned phase system, but I'm learning. (and running out of time)

As far as boots go I will be running in the new Marine Corps jungle boots. I currently run in the older infantry combat boot style that we've had for the past few years. I only run in boots about 5-7 miles a week. Needless to say it slows me down quite a bit.
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafar wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone.

At this point in my training I am trying to concentrate on improving my speed and efficiency, so I do a lot of intervals, but have recently incorprated tempo runs as well. A bit backwards by the above mentioned phase system, but I'm learning. (and running out of time)

As far as boots go I will be running in the new Marine Corps jungle boots. I currently run in the older infantry combat boot style that we've had for the past few years. I only run in boots about 5-7 miles a week. Needless to say it slows me down quite a bit.

Well then, ya better get moving there "Jar Head"....if you don't get motivated, Micah and I get the steak and beer....and you'll get the ceaser salad Twisted Evil

Dan, what is so strange about running boots? Heck, I started running in wrestling sneakers with inserts! They are sorta like flats......I guess Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what is so strange about running boots?

To answer that, I would have to throw the question back at you... What isn't strange about running boots??? Try answering that question from the perspective of someone not associated with the armed forces...

Dan
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Quote:
what is so strange about running boots?

To answer that, I would have to throw the question back at you... What isn't strange about running boots??? Try answering that question from the perspective of someone not associated with the armed forces...

Dan

OK, I see your point Dan!

I have the airshow on the 6,7,and 8 June, after that I plan to go down to see Micah and Jafar.
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hold that thought Ranger. We have a small problem. Jafar isn't going to be there. Jafar is leaving the Marine Corps. People who refer to themselves in the third person are mentally ill.

It's a long story and not one I intend to air out on the damn internet, but lets just say my career path is taking a little turn. I am crossing over into the Blue. The Air Force offers some wonderful opportunites and providing I can un-brainwash the 8 years of Marine Corps bathos I'll do quite well.

But I have become a runner! And that won't change. I'll still be around the forum asking advice but now I can honestly say it's for me. The Air Force does require a 1.5 mile run, but at this point that is sort of a cake walk for me after what I've been training for.

Ranger, I'll PM you and let you know what's up. Hopefully at some point in the future we can all get together. Good luck down there in Quantico, Micah, part of me still wishes I was going, but shit happens...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's some career change!! Does it have something to do with you wanting to specialize in aviation, and the AF will provide a faster ascent in that area??

good luck
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Paul
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa...man that came outa left field Surprised

Well, I hope that I still get to meet ya. Sorry you will not be down at Quantico Sad I guess I will have to drink your beer for ya Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: