I'm Gonna Do It!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week seven update.

No problem with the 7 miler this morning. The weather was mild and I had a good cloud cover so even with the temp at 73 there was no sun to contend with. I took a 10 ounce bottle with half water and half sports drink. I used a 12/3 run walk ratio and drank everytime I hit the walk break.

The foot continues to be painless and the more I run in these adidas the more I like them. Very Happy

So far........so good. Thumbs Up
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. It always feels good when you can get out and do a run as you planned without any problems.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week eight update.

Another easy run today. Did the eight miler using a 12.5/2.5 ratio and I think that is the ratio that feels best. The schedule I'm using calls for increasing the weekly long runs but during the week I won't do anything longer than four. So now that the long run has hit eight all of the weekday runs will be easy four milers with no walk breaks. That allows the legs to recover and be fresh for the weekend long run.

Next week's long run goes to nine and the temp just keeps on climbing. Twisted Evil
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, as usual. Smile

After having temps in the high 40's last weekend for the adidas meet, it jumped up to mid to high 80's throughout the Valley the past few days. I like the warm weather, but rapid increases like that leave you feeling like a frog in boiled water. Surprised You'd probably be chilly here, though...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A frog in boiled water Exclamation

I love it. Very Happy
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week nine update.

I was the frog in boiled water this week. I bonked big time. Embarassed

The two four milers were no problem but the nine miler was another story. I waited too late and the temp had hit 90 by the time I started. The first four felt ok but the next two started getting more difficult and right after passing the six mile point the wheels fell off. I walked a half mile short cut to a spot where I knew I was only a mile from where my truck was parked. The last mile I alternated five minutes of walking and five minutes of survival shuffle.

Next week I have a 10 scheduled and I will start it much earlier in the morning to keep the effects of the heat down.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh... I had a run like that last week. I was planning on doing 1 or 2 loops in the park (1.5 miles per loop, plus a little over a mile each way there and back), but I ran into someone I know right at the end of the second loop and ended up continuing on for an additional 2 loops. I hit the wall pretty good in the last half-mile on the way home (as Paul knows, that's a very hilly stretch) and had to resort to walk breaks like you... Still, I was pleased with the mileage total, which I imagine is similar to where you're at.

The forecast is for mid 90's here the early part of this week... Surprised

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week ten update.

Things aren't too good. Crying or Very sad

Last week during the long run I felt an uncomfortablness in my foot. (Yes, that foot.) It wasn't a pain that caused a limp or a change in stride but it was noticeable and annoying. So I have been monitoring it all week and ran runs of 2, 3 and 4 miles. It is still there and I even feel it when I am not running.

So I have decided, with my history, that I will back off to a slow 20 minute jog every other day until that uncomfortable feeling goes away. I am afraid that if I continue to push with the long runs I will reinjure the foot and get knocked out of going to Quantico again. I don't want to do that. So I will postpone marathon training and if the foot allows I will start back in September when I get back home.

But the good news is...the daughter got accepted to the Marine Corps Marathon and her training is going great! Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a wise decision, ableit not an easy one. If a pain lingers through several runs in a place previously injured, definitely not worth pushing it.

Congrats on the daughter. Thumbs Up

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: