Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
The War

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: The War Reply with quote

The forum has been very quiet these past couple of days ... I hope that the war has not put everyone in a shell .. While none of us are happy about the current state of affairs in the world it is nice ot have a place like this to come to and discuss something that we all love ... I hope that ocntinues as this is one of the most enjoyable places to chat on the net ... And in the event that some need to get out their feelings regarding the war, perhaps this thread can provide a medium to do that (as long as Dan doesn't mind) ... The only thing that I would caution is that religion and politics tend to be 2 touchy topics so I would just say that if one plans to discuss them do so with an open mind, allow others the freedom of having whatever opinions they hold (whether you agree or disagree), and be respectful and courteous during the course of conversation ... healthy discussion can be a very good form of therapy during times like these ....
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

___From P.V.O. Robert Kolakowski of Elizabeth Police Department_:
Although not all of us may agree on why do we fight the war. I believe that all of us will be happy to see 99 cents-gas.
LONG LIVE THE AMERICAN EMPIRE ! ! !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind for the discussion to take place. Just keep in mind the cautions Conway put forth...

It has been rather quiet here and just about everywhere I've been on the net of late (my business activity has been almost non-existant this month, other than existing projects). You'd think OJ was in the news again...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support the removal of Hussein and I wish it could have been done without war. But that is the way Hussein chose it. So now that it is underway I give my full support to the troops fighting that war and hope it is over soon and as many as possible come back healthy and safe.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many mixed feelings ... I feel for the Iraqi people having endure the leadership of someone like Hussein ... On the other hand I feel for people in this country and think about how many of our own could be helped with the money going abroad ...

I feel that Hussein has weapons of mass destruction and is a threat around the world ... But then I also feel that Korea and others pose as great a threat if not greater ...

Oil is surely a part of the issue ... And yes I would love to see gas prices drop significantly, but also feel there are other ways to accomplish that ...

However the shoe has been dropped so to speak ... And I wish our troops well ... They have my support ... I live about 45 miles outside of SF and that City is beign rocked with protesters ... Somewhere inthe neighborhood of 600 were arrested today ... And here where I live (pop 150,000) another 75 were arrested ... I wish these people would also support the troops ... Hopefully this won't be protracted ... A minimal of lives will be spared ... And the world can get back to normal soon ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portland is also getting its share of protesters.

If this war was being led by leadership with even the slightest hint of morality, I'd feel more or less ok that we're in it for the right reasons. But it isn't, so I don't. I'll leave it at that, because I know several of this forum's regulars are likely to feel quite a bit differently and this isn't an issue worth straining relations in that way...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I try to look at it from the stand point lf the good things that can come from it ... Sort of like running a race that you really weren't pleased with - you try to find something you can gain from it ...

Loss of life is never good ... Even when one can justify the rationale ... To stop the threath of loss of lives, self defense, whatever ... Any time a life is lost it is a tragedy to me ... So I would hope that something positive is gained during this war so that those who do lose thier lives do not do so in vain ....
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also know that we have a lot of foreign members in our forum and hope that our conversations here can continue and that there is no animosity due to this conflict ... I know none of here has asked for this to happen ... And hope that our common bond of track and field will both keep us together and give us diversion from the day to day happenings in Iraq ...

I for one am curious as to how the outdoor season will unfold if this thing is protracted out to the summer time ... Travel in between countries as well as the holding of competitions in certain locales ... Any thoughts ???
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be that all the worlds conflicts could be solved by running a 5k.

Of course Kenya might rule the world Laughing

Being former military, I never wish for war, but understand it's need on occasion. I also worry about North Korea. I remember the cold war duck and cover, heck, I was even in the Civil Defense before I enlisted in the Army. I guess we should think about bringing that training back as NK has missles capable of reaching the west cost.

I somehow think we will be fighting a lot of small wars/conflicts/police actions for a while Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I try to look at it from the stand point lf the good things that can come from it ...

Our track record (no pun intended) of dealing with Middle East conflicts -- Iraq especially -- in a fashion that will accomplish anything but secured oil interests isn't so good... I don't hold out much hope that things will be better after the war, unfortunately. If the US directly supported Hussein's rise to power, why should we expect a US-rebuilt leadership to be any more desirable this time around?

The past year has already presented T&F its share of challenges in terms of travel. Things like having to remove the spikes from one's shoes to take them on board, or risk losing them in baggage... There well could be a lot of national animosity leading into this year's circuit, especially with France hosting the World Championships and Germany always having a major stop...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too don't want to start anything that might strain relations but I am a lot more comfortable with the morality of our current leaders than the morality of our last administration.

I don't think the outdoor season will be affected too much. The fighting in Iraq will be over before then. But North Korea does worry me.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a lot more comfortable with the morality of our current leaders than the morality of our last administration.

I'm struggling to come up with a statement I could possibly disagree with more, but that's just me... Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Exclamation

We are obviously on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Surprised

But we can agree that US distance runners need more speed. Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and that Krummenacker is apparently leading the charge in the correct direction. All the more fitting that he is doing so with an international coach -- bringing countries together. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... The ole morality issue .. Tough one there guys ... One of those "stay away from" things ...

Natural resources will always create tension amongst nations ... Especially those in short supply .. And with us (the US, pun intended) being a major consumer and minor producer will keep us at odds with those who are producers ... We have yet to put the policies in place to chaneg that here ... And I would hope that those against the war will use some of that energy to push congress for different oil production policies here domestically ...

As far as our history in the middle east, whatever input this country had in "assisting" the current Iraqi administration was purely financial as opposed to philosophical ... So we shouldn't comingle the two ... Quite frankly what I would look for our gov't to do is ensure that a new reginme would be much less hostile ... Both towards us and its own people .... While the intent of that may not be the best, the result should be for the Iraqi people ...

I agree with Micah that the "war" should be over by early summer, but unfortunately I think that this "war" may only be the beginning of things ... I too fear what Korea can do (and others) and this squirmish may have much influence on what others (Korea, Al Queda, et al) may attempt to do, possibly sensing a drain on US military resources ... We will alsow have ot se how international relations are around the globe ... Thiks "war" has created factions globally and we will have to see what the interplay becomes post this war ...

On a positive note, Britain and the US seem to be more alighned than usual on this matter ... Which brings me to Justin and others as I am very curious as to how those outside the US view things ... And I personally have nothing but open ears on teh subject ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: