Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
New Shoes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moviola
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: New Shoes Reply with quote

Hi, I just bought a pair of Reebok Premier Stability shoes to replace my Addias Supernova Cushion shoes. I am an overpronater who developed plantar faciaitis last year. The addias were very good for me though and for the past five months I've had no more problems. Today when I replaced my aging shoes with the Reeboks, the first mile the PF started up again! So my question is:

Do I need to break in the shoes? I always thought stability shoes are better for overpronators? Shouldn't it be easier for me to run? Should I return them for another addias (with more stability than Supernova)?

Thanks
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with either shoe but I have had PF. Arch supports helped with the PF and rolling the sole of my foot over a soup can every morning before walking. The can rolling helps loosen the foot up.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the lines of Micah's recommendation, I've found stretching and massaging of the arch area to be far more effective than choice of shoe. If you haven't had a problem for 5 months and it came back within 1 mile in a new pair of shoes, chances are it was only a matter of time before it flared up regardless. 1 mile is very little for a pair of new shoes to be responsible for such an aggravation.

Dan
baby t
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: replacing shoes Reply with quote

How often or how many miles should you replace shoes :question:
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good rule of thumb is to replace shoes at 500 miles. I'm kind of a heavyweight though Embarassed so I replace at 350-400.
YoRi0301

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Running Shoes Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Im taking a speech class here at Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL. I have to do an infomative speech on "wearing the proper running shoes". Does anyone have any comments, experiences, stories or quotes they would like to share, to add to my speech? Maybe on how important it is to wear the right shoe when running? Or some injuries that you may have or had experienced from wearing the wrong shoes? What did you do to reduce your pain? What type of shoes do you wear motion control, stability, trail, lightweight, or cushioning? What advice do you have for someone who is buying running shoes today? What should they look for? Thank You
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I feel the less motion control the better. Early on, I was told I needed stability out of my shoes, but I decided over time that was causing more injuries than it was eliminating. I figure it's best to let the foot do what it's naturally designed to do. If you do need motion control, better to look to customized orthotics than a watered down stability last that tries to be everything to everyone.

For a more detailed analysis along the same lines, look at Paul Talbot's article over in the "Guest Articles" section.

Dan
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a good idea to wait more than a few days before racing in a new pair of shoes. I didn't and now I have something similar to shin splints and have to take about a week off. Rolling Eyes

My family has a history of "flat feet", so I'm going to look into getting an arch support or something like that. I'm using asics GEL ds trainer VIII's mostly because they're light weight and pretty similar to my favorite shoes that Nike decided to discontinue. Evil or Very Mad I hope it's not the shoes that caused my minor injury.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, what's going on?? Is this something in addition to the knee problem?

Quote:
Maybe it's a good idea to wait more than a few days before racing in a new pair of shoes.

Most definitely. Neutral I would even say the same for a hard workout.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward's Worthless Opinion is that the single most important thing you can do in buying running shoes is to go to a specialty running store and let them help you choose the right shoe for your feet.

Then keep a running log to record mileage and get new shoes after 500 miles or one year, which ever comes first. If the shoes start feeling wore out before the 500 miles then go ahead and get new ones. I am a heavy runner, 200 pounds plus, so I usually wear out shoes between 300-400.
Ducks Fan
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Will, what's going on?? Is this something in addition to the knee problem?

Quote:
Maybe it's a good idea to wait more than a few days before racing in a new pair of shoes.

Most definitely. Neutral I would even say the same for a hard workout.

Dan

I'm not really sure what's going on. The pain was about two inches below my knee but everything I read makes it seem like I have shin splints. Everything sounds pretty familiar but the pain isn't in my shins, so I don't really know what to make of it. Confused One of these is probably the main cause, I just don't know which:

1. Increased mileage on road too quickly.
2. My years of having flat feet without anything to support them are catching up with me.
3. New shoes

It could be all of them, too.

Luckily my leg is feeling a lot better. I hardly feel a thing when I walk anymore. I'm going to Gallagher's Friday to look at arch supports of some kind. I think I'll be back to normal Friday, but I don't plan on doing any running until Sunday when I'll do a few miles just to see how it feels.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so it is the same thing? Definitely doesn't sound like shin splints to me.

Are you running track this year, or are you preparing solely for the roads in the fall? I assume track just started up...

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Running Shoes Reply with quote

[quote="YoRi0301"]Hi everyone, Im taking a speech class here at Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL. I have to do an infomative speech on "wearing the proper running shoes". Does anyone have any comments, experiences, stories or quotes they would like to share, to add to my speech? Maybe on how important it is to wear the right shoe when running? Or some injuries that you may have or had experienced from wearing the wrong shoes? What did you do to reduce your pain? What type of shoes do you wear motion control, stability, trail, lightweight, or cushioning? What advice do you have for someone who is buying running shoes today? What should they look for? Thank You[/quote]

Too broad a question to cover, short of writing a book.

Learn about your own peculiar running needs. Find a shoe store that specializes in running shoes. Find a salesman/woman in that store that comes recommended. Find a salesperson who loves the brand you ultimately select. A Mizuno bigot is of no use to a Nike buyer! Visit a few times to get different opinions. Attend clinics they recommend. Join a running club. Get referrals and shoe advice. Ask the store and the club whether or not they give club discounts, usu. 10 percent.

Some running stores offer slow motion video playback of your footstrike on their treadmill. If you are lucky enough to live in a town with a store that needs repeat business and has this service, take it.

If not, join the Roadrunner Sports RAC (Run America Club, or even their VIP club), get advice from a seasoned adviser, order some different models and sizes, try them on indoors and on a treadmill, and keep only the best. Great guarantees, some discount, good service. See: roadrunnersports.com

Keep an open mind, experiment, learn and get better at knowing your needs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Shoes Reply with quote

moviola wrote:
Hi, I just bought a pair of Reebok Premier Stability shoes to replace my Addias Supernova Cushion shoes. I am an overpronater who developed plantar faciaitis last year. The addias were very good for me though and for the past five months I've had no more problems. Today when I replaced my aging shoes with the Reeboks, the first mile the PF started up again! So my question is:

Do I need to break in the shoes? I always thought stability shoes are better for overpronators? Shouldn't it be easier for me to run? Should I return them for another addias (with more stability than Supernova)?

Thanks

Who decides how much overpronation is too much? Some running authorities even debate whether or not overpronation is the villain as portrayed. A stability shoe that decreases freedom of the foot to function as nature designed, with a stiffer sole, more heel lift, more support, etc., could even make PF worse, depending on the cause. I have found that preventive exercises, attention to running form, finding neutral, well cushioned shoes, and doing less training on paved surfaces have served me better.

Based on my own experience, the rules we follow to choose the correct shoe are OK if you do not know more, but most of us have to know more.

A soleus/calf stretch cured my one case of PF ca 1981. Place the affected foot at about 45 degree angle, heel on the floor, forefoot up against a brick wall. Then bend that knee and gently move it horizontally towards the brick wall until you feel a stretch in the foot and lower calf.

Your new shoes may be great, but unless you fully recover from the recent soreness, not enough.

Links for those who want to know more:

> aloha,
> i've been running 40-50 mpw for about 1 1/2 years now. recently i've
> been experiencing severe foot pain when i get out of bed and i think
> its plantar fascitis. the pain subsides during the day but i still
> walk like an old man throughout the day due to foot pain. i'm 41 and
> walk like an 80 yr old!!
>
> i'm 5'9, 180, so i'm no lightweight.
>
> is there any cure for the pain other than not running?? if i don't
> run, i put on weight real fast!!
Although you may have missed the chance to manage it while continuing, the things that work:
Now that you know the signs, you can do the following, when it might be coming back:
Massage and roll the foot and stretch the lower leg before using it each morning.
Tape the foot before running to reduce stress on the injury.
Ice after running, see link below.
Insure you have sufficient shoe support for your foot type.
Warm up thoroughly on a bike or other .... before running.
Plan a month or two off each year to crosstrain.
Review your training plan and incorporate sufficient recovery.
Roll a tennis ball or rolling pin under your foot to massage it.
Roll a golf ball ...
Stretch calves and foot simultaneously, see Soleus stretch at: http://www.theosteopath.net/Leg%20Stretches.html
Gather a towel on the floor, using your toes.
Use a night sock that keeps the foot and ankle flexed at night, or just improvise w. duct tape.
Check some of the exercises given in numerous postings and sites on the subject:
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/1014-plantar-fasciitis.htm
http://heelspurs.com/index.html
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/plantar/
http://www.nismat.org/traincor/pl_fasciitis.html
http://www.physsportsmed.com/physsportsmed/cgi-bin/perlfect/search/search.pl?p=1&lang=en&mode=all&q=plantar+fascia
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2002/07_02/fields_pa.htm
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2002/07_02/fields.htm
http://search.aafp.org/htdigsearch/htsearch?words=plantar+fascia
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010201/467.html
http://www.sportsmed.buffalo.edu/info/plantarfas.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: