Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Rest ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsango
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Rest ? Reply with quote

Hi there
I'm just beginning trying to get into running. I'm 17 and live in the UK. i've been running for about 3 months and run a 3 mile hill run everyday. But recently i hurt my knee and had to rest it. I go to a chiropractor and he told me that i was running to much. he said that the muscle takes at least 48 hours to recover and develop any new muscle. My problem is that whilst looking over the internet on running pages , the majority of websites recommend training programs where you run everyday. What are your views on the issue of resting :question:

thanks alot
Mark
Ps: nice website Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he specify what muscle was hurt and what the nature of the injury is? A set 48 hours to heal a muscle is a rather odd diagnosis...

Hill running can be pretty taxing on the knees, so I would try mixing up some flat, soft surfaced terrain and see how you feel. Let the knee rest a bit now just to reduce soreness and any inflammation, then ease back into it and see if you can continue on with a daily schedule.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 48 hour rule applies more to wieght lifting than to running. And running over hilly terrain doesn't take 48 hours to recover from when you are healthy (I've done 12 runs a week over very hilly terrain for months at a time with no problem) however while recovering from an injury it might be a good idea to alternate between running on hills and running on flat ground as well as taking a day off now and again. Maybe start with a flat run, followed by a hilly run, followed by a day off. Until we know in more detail the nature and scope of your injury it's hard to give anything specific.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in weightlifting that rule has become outmoded. International lifters train as much as 3 times a day, 5-6 days a week. In the 80's I was on an early season program that consisted of 9 training sessions a week, including squats twice a day, three of those days. And we weren't using chump change poundage, either.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Olympic lifters fall the pattern of working certain muscle groups on alternating days, i.e biceps one day and tris the next? That system never sat too well with me, even though it's what all "serious" lifters seem to recommend, but it sounds from what you said that that system has been frowned upon for 20+ years now.

Dan
gsango
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Sorry my english was poor above. I've been resting my knee for about 2 weeks now. He said that it takes 48 between any reasonable workout for the muscles to develop and recover beofre the are ready for another work out. Therefore following a train program everyday would not be very effective as it would never give time for the muscles to recover and over time this could lead to injury. A good indicator of working to hard is sitffness, if you workout to much then your muscles will feel stiff, this stiffness is due to the fact that the muscles were worked to hard without enough time for rest and recovery. Well that is according to him. I trust him far above any doctor as he seems to be well up with new developments and has helped on over injuries. I was wondering why accord to him ( in my eyes a very good doctor/chiropractor) 48 hours is needed and reading on lots of websites a continous program is stated ? I'm not trying to slate anyone's training program i just want to know whats the best balance of rest to work.
Thanks alot
Mark
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either there is a severe case of miscommunication there, or your well esteemed doctor is an idiot. Plain and simple. It's generally accepted that you should not do hard workouts back to back, as the muscles and central nervous system need a chance to recharge, which generally takes in the neighborhood of 48 hours. However, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot train every day -- that's what easy runs are for.

In my experience, most medical types do not comprehend athletics of a non-recreational type, so they will always proscribe exercise routines far too wimpy to do much good and well below the injury risk threshold.

A good way of telling if your doctor knows his/her stuff and is giving it to you straight is how well they explain your injury and their diagnosis in layman's terms. If they speak in generalities or overly technical terms, they probably don't have much of use to tell you and are just trying to cover their butts so they can get your money...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodybuilding and to some extent, Powerlifting, incorporate extreme muscle isolation movements. I wonder how much of their rotating exercise regimens are just a matter of time restraints, i.e. if you just spent the last 2 hours working your arms, where are you going to find 2 more hours to work your legs? It will just have to be done the next session. Olympic Lifting movements are full body in scope, so you are working your back and legs every session. Which is one of the reasons it adapts so well to so many other sports. You will see Olympic Lifters do very little machine training. OK, maybe the Butt Blaster. Wink
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Either there is a severe case of miscommunication there, or your well esteemed doctor is an idiot.

I suppose that's one way to put it. Although I probably wouldn't go that far. If I might attempt to read your Chiropracters mind here; I imagine his thinking is that workouts cause break downs in the muscle tissue and that it takes 48 hours to repair that damage (on this I pretty much would agree). Now what he seems to be missing is that the muscles are not the only part of the body being worked. You are also working the bodies aerobic path ways, the heart, lungs, and blood all need to be worked multiple days in a row in order to have optimal improvement. Also -and stay with me on this one- muscle damage is good, to a point. And running on multiple days in a row helps train your body to repair the muscle at a fast rate and each time it repairs the muscle gets stronger. In exercise science we call this over loading and super comepensation. You stress the muscle by working out and cause damage (overload) and your body responds by building the muscle back stronger (supercompensation).

Now all training plans should be built around some form of an hard day easy day alternating schedule. This allows you to get the main overload on one day your hard day, and the next you workout easy which causes very little damage to the muscle allowing it to repair while still training some of the other systems in the body. If you are coming off an injury, are in a rest cycle or simply don't feel that you recover quickly from workouts then you might want to put two easy days in between your hard days.

One thing I do want to make clear is that I don't think that running should be done every day non stop. I think you need to have planed days off as well as being prepared to take days off when your body tells you it's time. At my best I took one day a week off. Of coarse the other six days of the week I usually ran twice. I always felt that that made it easier to train hard. The thought that I had a day off coming up got me through many a tough wednesday 10 mile tempo that I probably would have sat out otherwise. Not to mention the fact that I think it played a big role in keeping me healthy.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suppose that's one way to put it. Although I probably wouldn't go that far.

Tough to make a point without overstating it. Wink

Quote:
At my best I took one day a week off ... I always felt that that made it easier to train hard.

See, there's a rather large item we have in common. I would go 7 days a week for a few weeks at a time when I was in a good rhythm, but generally I found not taking a day off each week severely limited the quality of my training the rest of the days. I always gave my sprinters a day off; sometimes 2 per week in the early season when there weren't meets on the weekend.

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not like taking days off. Instead I take a two day easy period where on the 1st day I run about 10% less than my normal run and I run in the morning. On the 2nd day I do the same thing but I run in the afternoon. That usually gives me about 60 hours in between runs and I don't have to look at open space in my calander.
baby t
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: rest Reply with quote

Should you rest every other day of run all seven days of the weeks. I rest every other day of the week usaully Cool
mock_runner
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just running during the training season then I see no problem with running everyday. It may be a different story during CC of TF season but during training, whatever floats your boat is how I do it.
but ever does he run,
he runs a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: