Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Training specific?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that training for a sport is specific to that sport. "So cycling is pointless for a runner to become faster!"
Say it ain't so! What cross training techniques do you reccomend a 5-10k racer to become faster and better conditioned? Dan, I know you said you cycle hills. Anything else? The running gets monotonous sometimes as you all know, but I love it!
2nd:
How important are exercises like strides to running faster? Any other exercises? I've even heard skipping (bounds) is good?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never seen any research indicating cross-training is pointless, but there is a lot to be said for muscle memory. And muscle memory really only develops through repetition of what ever activity you are trying to develop.

The thing about running, much so that probably any other sport, is that it can benefit from anything that helps you aerobically. This could be cycling, XC skiing, rollerblading, swimming, hiking, etc. Most sports require skills (hand-eye coordination, for example) that going for a hike just won't help much.

If you want cross-training that will help your 5k/10k performance, I would think long, flat bike rides (2+ hours) would be the best bet. Generally, a 2 hour ride is about equivalent to a 40 minute run. I like doing hills for a few reasons: a) takes less time Wink , b) supplements the type of training I do better, and c) fits in well as a morning workout without spending half the day! I also believe in weight work, although for longer distance types you want to keep reps high and weight low.

I know what you mean about occasional monotony, but it's easy to get hooked. If you have any good trails nearby, that's the best way I know of to get reinvigorated. That and a training partner, as I'm discovering on my current, and most successful, rehab attempt.

My old coach often said, and I firmly believe this, that strides are the most important part of the workout. Just like track running is merely a method that allows you to control pace precisely, strides are a great mechanism for developing proper form, speed, and running fast during fatigue (end of the workout). There are dozens of bounding and sprint-type drills that can benefit any runner. I've got a list full of them that we were tortured with for a while. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jeff,

I know you want to get real fast
Cross training truly is a blast

Muscle memory is the key
Dan is right soon you'll see

Crossing training is not a waste
It just depends upon your taste

Biking's good although its long
Bring a walkman filled with songs

Pool running's great for your heart
It truly is a work of art

Heart rates go up without the pound
Your tired legs don't touch the ground

In the pool you can workout longer
This certainly will make you stronger

Good luck my friend and I say good bye
I hope these tips will help you fly

-Wood Chuck

[Anonymously Posted by: 'The Wood Chuck']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh, we have an unidentified poet (UP) in our midst! Very clever, and an excellent way to start the weekend. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 1999 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or is that a Unidentified Freelance Orator???
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 1999 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a bit of a different take on cross-training, and that is that it should be done very sparingly and for two reasons:

1)to prevent injury (strengthen under-used muscle groups and give over-used groups a break).
2)as rest from running while getting some small cardiac training effect, rather than take a day completely off.

There are several reasons why I hold to this. Most importantly, research has definitely shown that the development of maximal aerobic capacity is specific to a person's primary mode of training. For instance, runners will typically post much higher maximal aerobic capacities during a running stress test than a cyclist would, and if the test were on a bike the opposite would be true. This indicates that for well-trained runners, cycling or rowing or whatever does not help improve max aerobic capacity anywhere near as much as running.

So, while activities other than running will tax the cardiovascular system and improve the maximal cardiac output in moderately fit runners, activities other than running improve the muscular component of running-specific aerobic capacity to only a small degree, which approaches nil the more fit someone is as a runner.

What Dan said regarding muscle memory is also important to realize. That is, motor units (groups of muscle cells) fire in different specific patterns depending on the activity, and the firing pattern becomes more specifically suited to running the more someone runs. The motion of cycling is very different from running (less so if you're standing up obviously), and so probably has no benefit for developing optimal firing patterns for developing a more economical runner, economy being the energy cost to run at a particular speed.

So, ideally I would suggest that someone interested only in running fast should train only by running overground. However, because of the greatly increased risk of injury and staleness given this approach to training, weight-training, pool running, cycling, etc. can be beneficial if not overemphasized relative to running. The bottom line of my opinion then, is that if you want to run fast, nothing can replace running.

If someone has any other ideas as to why cross-training is important to incorporate, I'd like to hear them just for some new ideas in my own training and coaching.
Jeff Shelton
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 1999 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response argaines!!! Good info. What do you all think about pool running as a form of crosstraining as mentioned above? Never tried, I always thought it looked to 'easy'. Any thoughts or experience?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 1999 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During periods of injury a few training partners and i have used pool running to try and keep good condition. And it is anything but easy. Water gives amazing resistence and with a flotation belt or vest and your feet not touching the bottom of the pool it is really hard. Muscle fatige sets in really fast although you still feel reasonably 'fresh' when you get out of the pool. Also water had massaging effect which is bonus from the pounding sensation of regular running.

One word of warning. you must sit really tall in the vest or belt and really work your legs otherwise you don't move anywhere!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'PM']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: