Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
1500 Training

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to keep pushing that button. The reason it's "Magic" is the simplicity of the idea and the difficulty of the application.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that's about right. As opposed to the those who know don't tell, it's more like everyone knows but almost nobody does. Becuase after all it's a heck of a lot easier to talk about running a ton with high quaility and focusing on long term goals without getting hung up on short term ones than it is to actually go out and do it.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR, that's why I mentioned Serpentine because of your proximity to London. Horwill has been discussed in this Forum and is well thought of as is Martin and Coe.
Who is your coach and is he known outside of England much?? Also what is your weekly mileage?? The coaches in this Forum are quite knowledgeable and mileage is one of the indices they look at.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance but what is Serpentine? I'm assuming it might be a running club or team; sort of like the US's Nike Farm Team.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG, Serpentine is a large London based running club of all abilities. Here is the link to their home page: http://www.serpentine.org.uk/.

Over on the right you will see a column titled "Quick Links". Three from the bottom you will see a link titled Coach Frank Horwill which brings you to a page with a short bio and titles of 72 articles, one of which coachd talked about in another thread.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thanks Paul. Although I don't have time to read those articles at the moment I have marked the Frank Horwill page on my favorties so expect to see some of my future post refer to those articles.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always knew there would be homework for me on this Forum! Wink Thumbs Up

And, DG, while your here, I've been meaning to ask you a couple of questions concerning your Christmas break training.
1) At what pace do you do the 50/50 killer drills.
2) What are the acceleration runs?

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50-50 killer drills are run at what I call a controlled sprint, probably somewhere in the area of 400m race pace. The acceleration workout is pretty complicated I stole it strait out of the middle distance chapter from Vigils Road to the Top.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR Here are a couple of little mathematical/training equations that I use to judge ability in runnners (including myself). They may or may not help you.

-If you can run 2/3 of the race distance (1000 meters in your case) @ goal speed (in a workout not a race) you can probably race the entire distance @ that speed.

-With that in mind I concentrate on intervals that are 1/3 of the race distance (race pace intervals). If you are unable to run 1/3 of the race distance @ your goal pace (first interval) then you might have set the bar too high. Early on perform the 1/3 intervals and allow full recovery. 1:3 if neccessary. As the year progresses cut down the recovery time and increase the reps.

-In your case that would be 3X500m w/1:3 recovery progressing to 6X500m w/1:0.5 recovery about a month from the goal race

-But of course you can not neglect the other aspects of 1500m training (Race pace training is only 1 of many speed zones you should be concentrating on) but of course your original question was about performance indicators.

-coachd had brought up Horwill's (400-800-300)X2 workout and Dan had brought up the 10X400m.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you can run 2/3 of the race distance (1000 meters in your case) @ goal speed (in a workout not a race) you can probably race the entire distance @ that speed.

The mid-distance time trialling I have done has been more along the lines of 3/4 of race distance, but same idea. The difference in which is the best performance predictor for you probably comes down to whether you are a "workout king" or good racer...

Quote:
and Dan had brought up the 10X400m.

12x400, actually. Smile That last set of 4 would have felt a lot easier had it only consisted of 2! Although, the time I nailed the workout best (immediately before a 9 second 1500m PR), the last set was about 6 seconds faster than the average of the previous sets, and each of the 4 in that set was a cut down. Talk about hitting the zone. Surprised

Dan
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used the Kosmin test with their athletes to predict 800/1500 times?

http://www.worldar.com/endurance/kosmin.htm
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The predicted times seem fast to me. The worldar site is fascinating, though. And Brian McKenzie's site has a lot of info on it. I have not had the chance to spend as much time as I would like to at that site.

(coachd, I noticed you put 7 athletes on the RMAC all-academic team Thumbs Up )

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12x400, actually.

I don't like to use 400s to predict the mile. Repeat 400s are good for 1600m race pace but I have found that 800/1600 runners or even 400/800 runners can real off some fast 400s and not run good 1500/1600/mile times. I use 400s for 1600 race pace workouts but I find that runner's 600m (close to 1/3) repeat speeds to be better indicators of their 1600 speed.

Quote:
The mid-distance time trialling I have done has been more along the lines of 3/4 of race distance, but same idea.

A lot of people use 1200m Time Trials for the 1600 or Mile. If a runner can run @ goal pace for the 1500 in practice they definatly can run 300 more meters (1500) @ that speed on race day.

I usually go by the 1/3 rule and round to the nearest common distance. (1600/3=533 round to 600. )(3200/3=1066 round to 1000)
JR
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,

I know Frank very well as i am a member of the British Milers Club - Of which he was one of the co-founders and he is a great person who will always be willing to give you advice if you give him a call or write to him. My weekly milage is about 30-40mpw. This has only been at this level for a few months (i started to realise that i couldnt get by on my 15 mile wekks) I do two sessions on a track a week, another hard session, a longer run and then easy runs. I am a 800/1500 type runner. I have recently done a 12x400metre session with a minute recovery all in 65(+/-1second). I will do the 2x(400, 800, 300) session closer to the summer when i am peaking. I will just keep working hard for the time being and keep on improving.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have recently done a 12x400metre session with a minute recovery all in 65(+/-1second).

Depending on recovery taken, that would indicate you are very close to sub-4 shape. Drop a second per by season's end and you should be right there.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: