Training Talk
Forum Member Winter Training.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm training indoors till it warms up! The place we are at, till the house is rebuilt, has a gym with a lot of equipment. I am running on the treadmills morning (3 miles)and night (1 mile) in a nice warm environment with...um well...*whisper* Cable TV, a whirlpool, and sauna Surprised No sign of last years groin pull, and I am good about stretching first. The only rough thing is that I developed that cold weather running cough, and just can't shake it. Going thu the house with that nasty burnt smell has made it worse. Been thru 3 RX regimins, and I still have it. Probably will be able to do better when I shake this thing. I guess Dan should form the "Rundown Runners" forum for all the sick and rehab people on here Confused We could cry on each others shoulders Smile I'm trying to get back where I was before winter hit, and of course the fire Sad I'll tell ya that running is making me feel soooo much better about life Very Happy I'm almost ready to tangle with Maximus Pontificus Razz
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PE classes end up being the "minor leagues" for my HS teams.

That's a very good approach. Some of you are probably familiar with the Bend HS (Oregon) teams of the early 90's -- the girls team from '92 I believe was voted the best ever HS girls XC team by USA Today, winning state with about 20 points (Maria Mutola displaced them as 1st overall as an exchange student in Eugene) and a top 5 consisting of 2 frosh, 2 sophomores, and a junior! Anyway, their coach was very big about scouting out the pre-HS scene in the area to try and get people excited about the program several years before arriving. They were dominant for quite a while...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer, that is quite a school schedule, on top of your regular coaching duties. And your training sounds like its really moving along. Do you have a pretty good track where you do your intervals? 85 laps in the gym, that must have been tedious!! Do you change direction at all??
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Butt blaster? I think I'd feel too much like an infomercial saying that in public.

I agree, but you know how it is in the health club industry, anything to pique somebody's interest in the equipment.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul- Our track is horrible. A lot of the areas are worn away and there are some ruts devoloping on the home stretch. Our sprinters can only work on one of the straitaways.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any plans to have it resurfaced soon?? BTW what is the cost to resurface a track??
Did an easy 30 min recovery run last night, then tackled some hills at Tryon. West Horse loop, Dan. I was a quivering bag of lactate. I have hit 25 miles so far this week. Should be my first official 30 miler. I am thinking of taking tomorrow off. Have put in 5 straight, and I'm feeling it. The weather has been astounding and there doesn't seem to be any letup through Mon or Tues.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW what is the cost to resurface a track??

Prohibitive. There are of course a widely varying number of options/prices, but the new track at Willamette was close to 1/3 of a millions dollars 2 years ago. Surprised

Quote:
Did an easy 30 min recovery run last night, then tackled some hills at Tryon. West Horse loop, Dan. I was a quivering bag of lactate.

Ah, I believe that would be the trail affectionaly referred to as "Commando." Smile If I'm thinking of the same one, try running that bad boy during a very wet winter. You get extra credit points if you can stay on the trail...

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul- No plans for a new track. Besides in my little town distance (or mid-distance) is king and the $$$$ usually follows results. So basketball, and XC usually get the $$$$. The price our administrators have been talking about (to renevate our track) is $400,000. The track sits in a bowl next to a ditch and there are major drainage issues. We would have to pass a bond to get it fixed. But like I said earlier it's not high on the school's priority.

I ran 6 miles yesterday in 41.35 bringing my weekly total (5 days) to 36 miles. It was cold (32 degrees) and windy. We finally got some snow. Smile
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting the weights this afternoon with light weight and lots of reps. Trying to cancel out Mrs Ward's french toast from this morning.

This week the ratio goes to 1 minute walk and 9 minutes run for 30 minutes. I'm just about back. Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's getting to be a pretty good ratio. Is the foot pain-free?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foot is pain free but I am taking no chances on coming back too fast. Actually the doc doesn't want me running more than 30 minutes 3 times a week until April. So I will stick with that.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the doc doesn't want me running more than 30 minutes 3 times a week

How much do you get to run the other 4 days? Wink

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooooh...that's cute......... Confused

The literary types would call that a razor sharp wit...touche' Pontificus Maximus.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 57 miles last week, finishing up with a 15 miler in 1:53. I took Sunday off. I'm figuring a day off every 10days will work for me right now. I'm shooting for 50 miles on the short (6day) week. But today 2/10 is the 1st offficial day of track practice in NM so my schedule will get a little full.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the last of the walk/run combinations. Monday will be a 25 minute run and Wednesday a 28 minute run. Then I will "taper" Thursday and Friday and do the fatman shuffle Saturday at a local 5K.

And don't worry, those of you familiar with my injury history. There will be no attempt at speed and nothing more than slow 30 minute jogs 3 times a week until the end of March.

I'm almost a runner again. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: