Training Talk
Forum Member Winter Training.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week the ratio is 2 walk and 8 run.

Oh by the way, it was 71 degrees today....not that I am gloating or anything.... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting there...

We hit 60 not too long ago, so I'm not overly envious. Smile

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 49 miles this week. I averaged 45 for January so everything is moving in the right direction. I ran 6 pretty good 400s on Thursday (ave. 79sec) And I ran 14 total on Sat. (5am; 9pm) I went to the Zoo on Sun. and my workout was forced indoors (5miler on the treadmill @ 9pm) I might move my workout to Old HU today and run some 200s on the purple track. Good luck everyone and keep HAMMERING.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday it was 75 here, today it's 27 Surprised . Although the weather has had very little to do with the fact that my training sucked last week. I got in all of 11 miles Sad . It seemed like time was flying by about twice as fast as normal and I was moving in slow motion. Hopefully I'll have a better week this week.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34 miles over the past 8 days (6 runs) here.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My workouts last week weren't so hot, either. After my hard 3 mile combo (Hammer's suggestion from coachd) on the 26th and a 7.5 miler with Dan on the 27th, I was shot (hammered would be more accurate!). I just piddled around the rest of the week not doing much, and finally got it together Sunday for 8 x 1000m. The first and last were warmup and cooldown, the middle 6 were well under 5 minutes, the rest period was in the 45-50 sec range walking. Monday was 6.5 at Bush Park with Dan. My workouts with Dan, by the way, are turning into my favorite event of the week. We never seem to run out of stuff to talk about.
Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in my case, I never run out of people to talk to. I really don't know that many people around here, it's just that they're all in the park when we run... Confused

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people might be put off by that. I look at it from the standpoint that you are not going to get the opportunity to see your ex athletes as much as you would like so you have to take advantage of the situations as they present themselves.
Paul

Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great interval session tonight. A strange combo, we did 200 with a 200 jog recovery followed by 400 with a 200 jog recovery. We ended up doing 7 sets of these in 37 minutes. This kind of workout is right up my alley, so I ended up leading these instead of drafting on my 2 workout partners in our group. We were told to do these at 8K pace. That's stupid! We blasted these. The last few I just went into another gear and put 30 meters on my partners. I think Hammer's on to something about following the long run with a fast interval workout, though my long run is nothing like his or DG's. Neither is my sprint interval workout. Surprised Confused But I can pretend. Thumbs Up
Paul

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200's and 400's at 8k pace would seem rather dull. I would have been like you and varied the workout... Must've been the leftover jet fuel from those hill surges yesterday. Smile

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wasn't there for this one. I think there are people out there throwing out these paced runs that have no idea what they're talking about. Yes, it could have been a real sleeper at that pace. I give a lot of credit to those hill surges.

By the way, I did a weight workout this morning between 11:30 and 12:30. The machine in the gym you were referring to is called the butt blaster by leg tech. It works the whole hamstring-glute apparatus in that reverse prone leg press mode. I think I will start to incorporate that in my weight training a day or two a week.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butt blaster? I think I'd feel too much like an infomercial saying that in public. :t-: Execellent exercise, though. If it's like the machine I was using last year in terms of resistance and pulley gear ratios and what not, sets of 10-15 at 35 pounds should give you a real burner of a workout. Good stuff. The one I used was more or less standing upright, though, so it may not be exactly the same.

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a pretty good week thus far. Monday (AM) 3X1600m ave. 5.39 I raced my 7th graders indoors (in the gym; +17 laps = 1600m; 95m/lap and through a lobby) talk about tight turns. I only got beat by 2 groups of three. (PM) 10X200m @ 800pace for me thats 34 sec. Tuesday 7.2 miles in 53.30.

I will have to get in 2 runs today. I'll do one of them indoors with my 7th graders. and squeeze another one in between 2 meetings, or I'll have to use the treadmill again Crying or Very sad .
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many groups do you coach? Or is 7th grade part of high school there?

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach Middle School PE in the morning and High School World History in the afternoon. The PE classes end up being the "minor leagues" for my HS teams. On Monday the students wanted to run sprints instead of our normal mile warm up run so I put together the relay. Each group consisted of 3 students (co-ed) and each individual could sprint as many laps as they wanted before passing the batton. Most students sprinted 1 lap at a time.

Today (10 min ago) I ran 5 miles (85 laps in 35.40) inside the gym while a group of students took turns running with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: