Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Forum Member Winter Training.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Forum Member Winter Training. Reply with quote

Well instead of doing hunts for people workouts I'll take Paul's suggestion and just start a thread about our winter training.

Yesterday I had my best interval workout since I started running again 5x800 with 90 secs rest. I went 2:53, 2:45, 2:44, 2:41, 2:39. I was pretty pleased, my first interval was slow because I didn't have time to warm up. The baseball team takes over the gym at 5:00 and with our practice starting at 3:30 I have to hustle if I want to coach my athletes workouts and then squeeze in a workout of my own. I've got a total of 14 miles in through wednesday hopefully with another 6 tonight. It is cold as anything out here. The high in Kearney today was 5, with a low some where in the area of -10. That's cold Surprised . In NM I used to say that I like running in the cold, it looks like I'm really going to find out if thats true Rolling Eyes .
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for an easy 3.5 miler today and my leg went bonkers almost exactly mid-way through. Not good on an out and back... After several attempts at massage and stretching, I managed to hobble through it and get back home.

I like DG's report better... At least it was a beautiful sunny day here, probably close to 60 degrees.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, I am notorious for suggesting something and then not following through with it. So, thanks, DG, for getting the ball rolling on this. Also, good name for the thread.

Superb workout! Sounds like you could have kept right on going for a few more 800's. Is your 90 sec recovery a jog or a walk? I used to do almost exclusively walk recoveries, but I am doing jog recoveries, now, just to force the training recovery issue. How fast did those 800's feel and what pace do you feel you were at?? After reading how cold it is there, I had to go to the closet to put a coat on! Surprised

Dan, sorry to hear about that. I was hoping to come down again, Monday, for a run. I guess we'll have to play it by ear. Do you think running on the asphalt right now is too much of a shock? Maybe Bush Park is the key for awhile.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, it was just one of several ailments that have flared up this week alone. I seem to be experiencing 3-4 such random occurences (all areas of the body) each week. Sad At least I've gotten the hang of bouncing back from them pretty quick...

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday I ran 3 miles on the track in 18.29 (pretty windy day in Pecos) bringing my total mileage for the week up to 28 miles. I should get over 50 this week, just need to make sure and run BEFORE the Super Bowl pre game show.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
just need to make sure and run BEFORE the Super Bowl pre game show.

Why you could get in at least 15 miles during the Super Bowl pregame show and still not miss much.

Paul, my rests are walking, I only occasionally jog on my rest. Personally I've found very little difference in the two especially if rest is as short as 90 secs. As for pace and feel on those 800's I'm still so rusty at that right now I had very little idea. I was using my watch to get 200m splits just to keep me from killing myself.

Last night I went of a run after dark, 7 degrees and every time I turned and ran into the wind it was so cold I almost had to shout. I had tons of ice in the old mustache and beard. Have you ever had a snowball fight with no gloves and then afterwards when your hands were thawing out they turn bright red and itch? Well after that run my legs did that!
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only 37 today on the campus of Georgia Southern. I got one more week of the 2/7 ratio so I am almost feeling like a runner again.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, don't push too hard when you get the green light.

DG, I can't imagine that kind of temperature. We just haven't had much of a winter this year, not that I'm complaining. It makes the outside portion of the rehab a whole lot easier. This morning it rained pretty hard, but by this afternoon it dried up.

I went to the track this evening and did the 880-2 mile-880 (in yards) combo workout. Was hoping to do 3:30 - 16:00 - 3:30. Ended up doing 3:20 - 15:35 - 3:20 . 22:15 for 3 miles is a huge PR. This is getting scary! I haven't done anything like this since 1998. This was a max effort, though, and one of those workouts that you want to actually forget you did before you attempt it again!! Surprised

Dan, I'm game for tomorrow if you are feeling up to it!!

Paul

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was a max effort, though, and one of those workouts that you want to actually forget you did before you attempt it again!!

Sort of like my personal anecdote about 1500m running? Wink

Quote:
Dan, I'm game for tomorrow if you are feeling up to it!!

Certainly. Most of the quad cramping is before and after running, so consider tomorrow cleared for takeoff...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, I remember that conversation last week. Do you want me to shoot for getting to your place at 12:30 so we can get to Bush Park by 1:30? Email or PM if you prefer so we won't take up valuable "Forum Training" space. Wink
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's warmed up to double digits. It was about 12-14 degrees today for my long run, but there was no wind so it wasn't bad at all. I went some where around 8 miles. Since I don't have any of the coarses from my apartment measured I go by time. Went out in 30 mins finished in 58:33. I ran the same distance in the first 15 minutes today as I did on a all out 30 minute (15 out 15 back) tempo run over the same coarse just before the new year. My weeks total was 33 miles which with a two day track meet in there is better than I had hoped for.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Job everyone, expecially DG looks like you are getting back to form.

I ran 52 miles last week. I finished the week with a 10 miler on Saturday and a 6 miler on Sunday just before the Big Game.... I ran my last 3 miles in 6.07, 6.15, and 5.58 in tempo like effort (which for me means that I finished the run without losing my lunch)

Good luck to everyone this week and keep HAMMERING.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Empty threat!! You would run in the low 17's on the track right now!!

Nice week, Hammer! I might just win this bet, now.
This should be my goal for the remainder of the winter, to gradually increase my weekly mileage.
Paul

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betcha you guys didn't know Paul is on pace for 52+ miles this week? You heard it here first... The secret is definitely out, now.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, how'd the intervals go last night? Smile I managed a 5.5 miler yesterday; best solo effort in quite a while. We'll see what I can muster today for my 4th straight day of running...

Dan

p.s. Paul and I went 7.5 on Monday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: