FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Opinions on heart rate monitors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Opinions on heart rate monitors? Reply with quote

I've been contemplating picking one of these up for a while. If I do get one it's probably going to be a Polar A5. What does everyone think of monitors in general? Do you use one? If so, all the time, some times, when? I really would like to determine my max heart rate and I think one of these would help.

Furthermore, what percentage of max hr do you want to be at thrgoughout a 5k? Obviously higher at the end, but what should you be striving for throughout?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search through the forums, you'll find a few threads with opinions of heart rate monitors and how they're best used.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I read all the threads that had 'em in the title. Just looking for some fresh input. I know you don't care for them, Dan. In fact, every post on here about them contains at least one statement from you regarding their worthlessness. Very Happy

There's a few cats on here that like 'em though...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely why I directed you to existing threads rather than repeating myself. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HR monitors are okay if you have no idea where you are in terms of fitness and want some idea without actually getting out there and racing. They can also be handy for helping determine the propper amount of recovery time as well as when to end an interval workout. But usually they are pretty darn expensive for the information they provide. If you've got plenty of money to spend on toys then go ahead. Otherwise you can probably buy a watch and a new pair of running shoes with the same amount of money. Personally I go through shoes fast enough that I'd probably go with the shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find them very useful for a few things: recovery runs, tempo runs, and, general information. Of course, I'm a mathematician, so numbers are my friends. Anyhow, for recovery runs, they're ideal for letting you know how your body is adapting to a previous day's (or week's) workouts. One problem I used to have was running to hard on easy days. HRM's helped. Also, for tempo runs, I've yet to find anything to beat the HRM in terms of gauging effort and performance. About the general info remark, I find that looking at the info from one workout to the next allows me to determine if the numbers are meaningful.

For example, I could run 6 x 800 at 2:20 one week and 2:10 the next week, but, if I run the first set at 180 for my HR and 198 for the second, I know that the times are misleading. I haven't necessarily gotten in better shape, I've merely run a lot harder. I've learned I'd rather run 6 x 800 at 2:20 one week and then maybe only 2:18 the next time I do the workout while my HR pretty much stays the same. Without a HR monitor, I could just be telling myself anything I want about my perceived effort. This way, there's no lying to myself about the effort my body put out to hit the times.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, I could run 6 x 800 at 2:20 one week and 2:10 the next week...

If I did either of those workouts, I can tell you my heartrate would be off the charts! Smile

Quote:
...but, if I run the first set at 180 for my HR and 198 for the second, I know that the times are misleading.

No offense -- your opinion seems very well formulated and presented -- but I simply cannot understand how there would be any uncertainty over the relative effort that went into those two workouts. Should be very apparent without the assistance of an HRM.

If you can run 6 x 800 at 2:20 or under, I would think you are a very accomplished and well trained athlete. I'm stumped if you also do not have a very accurate feel for interval time/effort pacing, like +/- 1 second at most for 400m.

Dan
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gettin' one. I too am all about mathematics, so I need to play with numbers and the gadgets made to assist in that.

Yeah, I could spend the money on a lot of things. But my shoes are fairly new and I honestly think it will benefit me.
will
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I posted the example with the 6 x 800 workout. My point was not about the times, rather it was about the fact that progression can be noted more effectively with a HRM than without. Dan, you're right about one being able to feel the subtleties and fairly well-defined efforts of specific paces. My example was more of an illustration than an actual workout I'm expecting to do right now.

And, what you said was exactly where I was going. Doing one, while hard, will be controlled, whereas the other would simply be impossible. A HRM would be pointless. However, to reiterate, by using a HRM one can gauge progress (or lack of progress) by comparing "objective" data of HR's against the "subjective" data of mental or physical interpretations. Of course, if the two line up, great. If not, the HRM can help you be clear about things that the "feel" method might not allow so easily.

One other thing you said, at least for me, supports the use of heart rate monitors, but, only with specific workouts. Well-trained runners hardly need a watch, much less a HRM. However, I find that they can help with finer shades of training stimuli. For instance, the difference between tempo run pace and 10k pace can be invisible some days. The HRM allows me to stay within the limits of the workout I have scheduled instead of letting a good day get the better of me and catch up with me 2 days later. For me, it's not just the workout, but 2-6 days later I have to be thinking ahead in order to get the best all around mix with my training.

My 2 pennies.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, makes much better sense now that the above is placed in the proper context. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: