Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Sprinting 2003

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the one everyone forgets about, but when his name comes up in converstation, he's generally regarded as being as good as any sprint coach out there. Actually, his reputation now is probably pretty similar to John Smith's was when he was mostly just coaching at UCLA (pre-HSI). Being the new head coach at Florida, I don't see Holloway going exclusively to pro coaching, but the return of Capel may at least increase his visibility in that area.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is one of the best ... Hands down ... All you have to do is look at the legacy of sprinters at U of Florida ... His sprint squads are competitive year in and year out ... Unlike many schools who are as strong as their best recruit ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Florida ever not had a strong recruit(s)? I would think that's unlikely, given their local recruiting pool... Still, Holloway has been very successful even at the high school level (including something like 8 straight XC state titles), so his record speaks for itself.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/5050849.htm

In this article MO says he is going to attempt the sprint double again this year in Paris ... While the presense of Gatlin would make this more difficult than last time, it does bode very well for him having a shot at breaking the WR in the 100 .... The extra strenght work sould carry well into the 100 ... Wink .. Not good for the rest of the world's 100 sprinters !!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw that he said the same thing in a USATF teleconference. I hope his health this year is good enough to handle the double, because the addition of Gatlin, the return of Capel, the continuing comeback of Fredericks, the constant unknown of Kenteris, and the hopeful re-emergence of JJ Johnson could suddenly make the 200 a pretty hot event!

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that is what makes it so good that he is going ot compete ... It almost forces his strength !!!! If he is only 3 or 4 in the 200 at somewhere around 19.70 - 19.85 that means his 100 will be screaming fast !!!! The 200 being stronger is to HIS advantage !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I definitely agree with that, I'm just a bit concerned about his health and if the 200 will break him down like it seemed to the past couple years with both he and MJ.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo's best seasons have come when he has doubled ... Even after he "broke down" in 2000 he was still a dominant 9.8x sprinter ... When he won his double in 99 he ran 9.80 after a serious stumble at the start ... Doubling is the best thing for a sprinter in my humble opinion ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're arguing two completely unrelated points... Doubling leading to great performances has nothing to do with its likelihood of leading to injuries. I agree with everything you've said, but at the same time, I believe everything I've said stands uncontested thus far...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not arguing with you at all ... I'm just stating that for Mo doubling seems to be great for him ... As far as the injury argument, doubling has never lead Mo to injury in the past ... Mo's 2000 injury was due moreto the stress of he & MJ focusing so much on each other, in my opinon ... Neither athlete ran "his" race that day ... It was clear from the start of the rounds that the only thing they had on their minds was each other !!!! Capel had it easy as NO ONE ever focused on him !!!! Even the fans in the stands (myself included) were totally focused on the head to head between Mo and MJ - starting wtih the 100 and 400 rounds the weekend before !!!! In retrospsect neither of these guys had a chance ... Never have I seen two athletes so focused on each other and NOT on how they were giong to run the race ... They almost had no alternative but ot blow up !!!!! It's one of the reasons why Tim can not beat Mo in a big race - too much Mo focus ... All Mo has to do is train for and run the 200 ... Everything else will fall in place ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That much power on the turn just seems like a recipe for trouble... When it works, it's a thing of beauty. But when things don't quite click, things become very awkward as they did in Sacramento. Not only did Mo blow up, but I recall him struggling badly to hold the inside of the turn (he had an inner lane, right?), which probably contributed to the "injury."

I'm not terribly sold on the idea that running additional [different distance] races is necessary for improved fitness and conditioning. If you're doing that, presumably you're also training for them. If it isn't your normal race, then race sharpness and confidence should not be a factor, so why not just keep the training element and maximize the primary race performance? Doubling may help prepare someone for running championships rounds, but even that can be duplicated in practice if you really work at it...

Mo is obviously a good 200m runner, but if all the above mentioned people show up this year, he probably won't finish with a medal (4th or 5th, I'm guessing). Will he be happy with that? Doubtful. Will it affect his 100m adversely? 50/50...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo has 19.70 (or better) potential ... The key is the turn ... Mo was in lane 3 in Sacramento ... Not a great lane for someone with the torque he generates ...

Dan you should know that training for a race and running it are two different things ... Running the two in competition makes teh 100 seem so much shorter AND makes finishing strong that much easier ...

I see Mo as a double medalist ... The presense of Gatlin makes getting the gold difficult ... The most beautiful race of the Worlds could be Mo outrunning everyone on the turn and working to hold off a closing Gatlin, Fredericks and Kenteris ... Now that could be a beautiful race !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dan you should know that training for a race and running it are two different things ...

No question. I just think with Mo's motivation and knowledge, his training partners, and excellent coaching staff, enough of the race situation can be duplicated in practice to not need the extra racing. What's the first thing you always hear about people joining HSI? They are shocked by how hard the training is...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree if Mo's goal were 9.85 ... But 9.75 requires somethikng much more ... As great as Mo's career has been, this may be the defining year for him ... I don't think he has to double every week ... or every meet ... But he needs to compete at the distance a fair amount of times to keep things fresh ...
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have much faith in MO Greene,being a huge fan of MO of course.I think that the goals that he has set himself are very reachable if you take into account both the quality and quantity of his standards.But as big a MO fan that I am, 19.70s for the 200m this year is out of reach.I have compiled a list of MO's best 50m segments of a 200m race( From Splits actually taken by myself, and from literature)
RT Limit:
50m:(Without RT)5.54s Stokholm DNG '97(From my Videos)
100m:10.16s (4.47s) Stockolm DNG '97(From my Videos)
150m:14.79s (4.63s) Stuttgart GP '97(From a mixture of both mine and PJ's Videos)
200m:19.64s (4.85s) Stuttgart GP '97(From a mixture of both mine and PJ's Videos)
TOTAL:19.64s
TOTAL + RT Limit:19.74s
So as you see from the Splits,MO would have to run 0.04s below his 'Perfect' time to achieve his goal.I'm sure PJ has some better Splits than the list that I could muster up.I think that goal is definetly out of MO's reach.But I don't how his training is going,and do not know what his current form is like.So I don't know what he could achieve this summer...I would love him to prove me wrong.
As I say,I don't know what current form he is in,so I don't know what MO ould achieve this summer...But from the talking that I've heard and read that Greene has done,I'd say he's back with avengance.
Go Greene!!!!!! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: