Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Charlie Francis

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Charlie Francis Reply with quote

I am curious about Francis' methods and techniques. From a couple of posts on the "what if" thread both Dan and Conway have indicated that they believe his methods are superior to those used today. What did Francis do differently from Smith, Kersey or the other influential sprint coaches of the last two decades?
Dan wrote:
I think we would have had a 100m record in the high 9.5 to low 9.6 range by Barcelona

Was he that much better than those guys that he could reduce the times of the worlds fastest humans by that much?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prediction was what Ben would accomplish given his steady rate of progression and supreme talent, not necessarily a statement that Charlie was a far superior coach to anyone else. I do believe he is one of the greatest sprint minds ever, but coaching alone does not account for Ben's incredible ability, just as drugs alone do not fully tell the story.

If you can get your hands on either of Francis' books, they'll tell you all you want to know (and more!) about his training methods. I know very little about the systems of the other elite sprint coaches, which is something we've talked about before. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another question. As a result of Ben Johnsons failed drug tests was Francis also banned? I'm sure as a coach it would have severly hurt his reputation, but did the IAAF or some other federation ban him from coaching or is it a case of him being black balled in the sport without an official ban?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the IAAF banned him, but Athletics Canada banned him for life from coaching Canadian team athletes. A bit harsh, if you ask me. Talk about not getting a second chance...

If what he wrote in his book is true, I would guess a major reason for the ban is how badly his success was resented by his Canadian peers. The same can be seen at almost any level of coaching -- a lot of people do not appreciate having the bar raised too high, as it makes them look bad or forces them to raise their own standards.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that having more friends in the right places would have helped him (it certainly never hurts). But lets not forget that he was the coach in what is the most embarassing Olympic (perhaps even sports related) scandle that I have ever witnessed. Ben brought great glory and then greater humiliation to the sport of track and field and Francis was his coach. I can't say that I falt Canada for banning him. Although I would be curious to learn if any of his other athletes ever got busted or if it was just Johnson. If there was a pattern of drug abuse in his athletes then that leads strait back to the coach, if however it was Ben acting on his own without the coaches knowledge then I might agree that a life time ban is a little on the harsh side.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ben brought great glory and then greater humiliation to the sport of track and field and Francis was his coach.

Sort of... I would say a pretty large share of the shame and humiliation was not a direct result of the positive drug test but of the resulting inquisition that led to Ben's admittance. No other country has put its athletes through that! Canada has no one to blame but themselves for the lingering black eye... Lots of other fiascos have been swept under the rug in short order with more creative PR. That should be food for thought for anyone who believes "doing the right thing" is the answer to t&f's problems. :t-:

Francis' system systematically used drugs for most all the athletes. He is very up front about that. I don't remember if anyone else received bans, but I think it was mostly just Ben and Charlie.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I not so sure about the lingering black eye being from an inquisition. I for one really see it simply like this. Ben Johnson ran an amazing race setting a world record, beating the premeire sprinter in the world (Lewis) on the biggest stage imaginable the Olympic 100 meters the signature event of the signature venue in the biggest sporting event in the world. Then he is revealed to be a cheater and is striped of his medal and record. This to me was the one moment that has branded track ad field as a dirty sport.

As for Francis, if he condoned or facilitated drug use in his athletes then I say to hell with him. A lifetime ban is exactly what he deserves.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things ... Francis was banned by Canada in my opinon for the shame he brought on the country ... Not only did Ben test positive, but so did Angela Issayenko (sp), Desai Williams, and Mark McKoy if I am not mistaken (who then left the country and competed for another country whose name escapes me) ..

So the legacy of Charlie is very clear and not limited to Ben Johnson .... That is not to say that Charlies can't/couldn't coach ... All of his athletes had explosive starts ... If you ever saw a Francis athlete compete you saw them at the front of the pack at the start ... Always ... Technically they were all fairly solid ... And they all had good competitive demeanors ... All of the aforementioned were among the best in the sprints - McKoy in the sprints and hurdles ...

All of these individuals got bans of various kinds and were part of the Dubai (?) hearings/trials ... Interesting that ONLY Ben was banned for "life" ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that was the net effect, but that in no way counters what I said about the effect being in large part due to the Dubin Inquiry. That's what dragged the whole episode through the mud and prolonged it to the point that no one could forget about it. As we know all too well, T&F is largely forgotten about between Olympic years. In this case, that should have worked to the sport's advantage, but the suits with no foresight insisted on remaining highly visible...

Quote:
As for Francis, if he condoned or facilitated drug use in his athletes then I say to hell with him. A lifetime ban is exactly what he deserves.

That would never hold up in this country. Even criminals get second chances. He provided drugs to consenting adults (despite Ben's idiotic claims that he never knowingly took drugs) and is very clear in his books that he does not believe in administering drugs before a certain point of physical maturity. He is no more to blame than the using athletes or the system that places great incentives out there for pushing the limits.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Issajenko admitted use but was never caught and that McKoy (Austria, I believe) never was connected to any drug use? I don't recall hearing anything about Desai...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance_Guru wrote:
I not so sure about the lingering black eye being from an inquisition. I for one really see it simply like this. Ben Johnson ran an amazing race setting a world record, beating the premeire sprinter in the world (Lewis) on the biggest stage imaginable the Olympic 100 meters the signature event of the signature venue in the biggest sporting event in the world. Then he is revealed to be a cheater and is striped of his medal and record. This to me was the one moment that has branded track ad field as a dirty sport.

I disagree ... That was the moment that became the symbol of drugs in the Olympic venue, but not the moment that branded the sport ...

First of all there were MANY drug suspensions in 88 during the Olympics, in various sports - weight lifting, boxing, swimming, and wrestling immediately come to mind ....

What has differentiated (and branded) track and field, in my opinion, is how track and field has handled it ... As I always tell people having adversity in your life is not the problem, how you deal with it is !!!

Other sports have created a softer atmosphere in my opinion ... They test for fewer items ... Are less public about positives ... Create softer bans ... Basicalaly soft sell to the public ...

Track and field on the other hand is out to make examples of anyone who "cheats" ... Tests for everything they can ... Attempt to publicly humiliate anyone the find "guilty" ... And set themselves up as the arbiters of morality and fair play in sport ...

THAT is what has abranded track and field and constantly keeps the drug issue in the sport in the publics view ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Conway that the lifetime ban was more about the embarasment he brought on the country rather than the fact that he supported drug use in his athletes. As for conscenting athletes and the rest of it. I've said this before and I'll say it again, you win by performing the sport better with in the confines of the rules than anyone else. If you are outside the confines of the rules then you don't deserve to compete or to win. And to me justifing drug use by saying you only recommend it for people of a certain maturity level is no justification at all. I personally would rather see performance on the field than to have to watch specials on Ben Plunkett, Lyle Alzado, and other athletes that died before their time because of the after affects banned performance enhancing drugs.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And to me justifing drug use by saying you only recommend it for people of a certain maturity level is no justification at all.

I never said that justifies it. What it does is illustrate that Francis was not pushing drugs on non-consenting adults. If anyone's intelligence was too low to know better (i.e. Ben, if his claims of innocense are to be believed), then that's their own problem... He was just one cog in a very large wheel, and it's not like what he was doing wasn't well known in Canada long before the bust. Funny how people can ignore those details when looking for a hero, then suddenly pull an about face and distance themselves...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I thought Issajenko admitted use but was never caught and that McKoy (Austria, I believe) never was connected to any drug use? I don't recall hearing anything about Desai...

Dan

Ben got life ... Angela, Desai, and Mark got 2 years ... I would have to check on whether they tested dirty or admitted ... I know Angela Bailey (anoather Canadian) had accused Issajenko for years and finally felt vindicated ... She was only .01 slower than Issajenko and got the Canadian record with her fall from grace...

During the 89/90 seasons of their suspensions the world got faster and Desai and Angela were never able to regain form and be competitive ... Ben was let back in in 92 and ran 10.15 and made the Canadian team (Ironically Lewis did not make the American sprint squad) ... Ben made it all the way to the semis where he blew up following a false start ... Ben later that year received another positive test for Stanozolol I believe and was done for good ...

McKoy came back after the two years to win gold in 92 ... Upsetting Jackson and Kingdom in the process !!! He competed for Canada in 92 but I believe was already in Austia and working on his citizenship which I think he got in 93 or 94 ..
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone bothered to read Speed Trap besides Dan and myself?? Has anyone bothered to go to Francis' website?? He actually has one, CharlieFrancis.com . You can download his 2 books as EBooks. Speed Trap is only $9.95.

I don't believe anyone else ever failed a drug test. I think they received suspensions based on testimony which was mostly coerced, something that would have never happened in the U.S. Angella was probably the only one to stand behind Charlie. She was the only one to realize that she was taken to places where she wouldn't otherwise have gone.

Francis' use of drugs was lightweight compared with what others were taking during that era. He was introduced to drugs as a way to maintain linear progression. I still maintain that some of his biggest critics and the athletes that complained the most were those that were not getting the boost they had gotten from their own drug use. All through the '80s, drug testing really came into its own as far as detecting steroids farther and farther back.

Count me as a huge Francis fan. I think the 100m has been essentially flat for 15 years, now, since Ben.

To me, the key quote in the North Carolina thread on Marion is this:

Quote:
"If these American athletes want to train with the best coach in the world, and get the best advice, they can come to him and he can offer that service," said Johnson.

"Charlie has an eye to see what they're doing wrong, what they can achieve, where they can make some necessary adjustment, who is going to help them get that extra yard," he added. "And that yard will be a hundredth of a second.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: