Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
RED face while running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gldn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: RED face while running Reply with quote

I haven t run in a couple years and plan on starting back soon. When i ran several years ago a friend commented several times that my face was as red as the fire truck I was standing next to. I used to run before I reported to work at the fire house and shower there so I would arrive at work minutes after my workout. I recently read an article about drs. who look for runners having trouble at the finish line of a marathon and one of the things they looked for was a red face. If anyone knows what this is about please comment. I hope to start back running soon.
email Gldn106@cs.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a sign of overheating or possibly dehydration, but some people's faces just seem to turn red during exercise with no apparent ill effect. If you're concerned about it, you could probably go to a doctor or sports science lab and have them do a treadmill test with monitoring. Otherwise, just go by feel.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better my face often will remain red for around 2 hours after I run. I'm pretty light skinned, and figured that it was just the way things are. I run, my body pumps blood to the skin to help it cool and as a result my face turns red. And it stays that way until my body temperature is at a normal level, no big deal.

However you still probably want to make sure and get enough fluids, very red skin can be a sign of heat illness, so make sure you're getting plenty to drink. If your well hydrated though it's probably nothing to worry about. But like Dan said if it really bothers you or if there are any other symptoms see a doctor just to make sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: