Training Talk
Long Runs w/hills followed by Speed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A medal contender by 04 no way, almost certainly not from the Farm. If you want to look for someone by 04 maybe the Hansens group up in Michigan for someone out of the blue or possibly a healthy Goucher, Ritz or Torres from the Wettmore group. All of the names I've heard attached to the Farm are good but they've pretty much been in the same system since they began college (not that that's a bad thing) and they haven't even won a US championship much less gotten them into medal contention at the olympics or worlds. At least Goucher has won a 5000 US championship with Wettmore.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming out of left field on this one and ya'll will probably say, "Ultras don't count."

BUUUUUUUUUT...........

Rich Hanna of California was 2nd in last years World 100K Championships with a 6:43:38, which is a 6:30 pace for 62 miles.

A US born male with a medal at a recognized world championship distance event. Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, you're good at giving us a wake-up slap every now and then, even if it's a technically different sport. Smile Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure who governs ultras... They aren't affiliated with the IAAF in any way, are they?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USATF sanctions US championships in 50K and 50 mile trail, 50K and 100K road and 24 hour races. I will have to research who sponsors the world 100K race. I don't think it is the IAAF but I will try to find out.

It may just be semantics but I consider anything from 100 meters to 100 miles to all be part of the sport of running...just different distances and different specialties. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking trail running might be associated with USATF just as Masters is (and Youth), but I don't believe either falls under the wings of the IAAF. I'm not quite sure how that works...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this for a W3)Friday(C) workout:
Quote:
Regularly test and evaluate your training
Cathy Freeman - Olympic 400m champion

Freeman ran under intense pressure to win 400m Olympic gold on home soil in 2000. She obviously got her training spot on.

Freeman has a number of specific sessions that she regularly uses to test how well her preparation is going. One of these requires her to run 6 x 200m, with recoveries that decrease from five minutes to just one minute between runs. In the run-up to peak performance periods, she will complete all runs in under 25 seconds.

Gives credence to the opinions voiced on this forum that she would make a great 800m runner.

Paul
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 6x200m yesterday (12-20) in my own training. I haven't done anything this fast in close to a year and a half. My times were 42.3, 42.5, 42.9, 41.2, 40.6, 37.6 with a 400m jog between each. My glutes are a little tired and there is also some stress on my lower abdominals. I had forgotten how taxing sprinting could be on the lower abs.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Paul. The one thing I've always found about elite athletes like Freeman (not that I've ever known anyone that good) is that as much beyond their compotition as they are in a race, their training is even farther above and beyond what most athletes do.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cutdowns. Smile

Quote:
Gives credence to the opinions voiced on this forum that she would make a great 800m runner.

Not to mention the importance of race pace training.

Quote:
She obviously got her training spot on.

I've never heard anyone say what I'm about to say, so let me once again assume the familiar dissenting voice opinion... As much as I like Freeman as athlete and competitor, I was not overly impressed by her much hyped Sydney victory. It really seemed like a fairly average performance against completely disinterested competition. She would have had to have been well off her usual form to have not won the race. As I recall, no one even made an attempt to go with her. Winning should not automatically be equated with perfection in the history books...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone!! You all probably noticed I am too embarrassed to create my own training link, so I hide my training results in other peoples threads. Not exactly courteous of me, is that!! Neutral

Is it possible that Cathy just has not found her true event, yet. Just like there are a number of people on this forum that feel that Marion hasn't tackled her true event. Wouldn't it be interesting if Francis were the one to convince her that she needs to move up full time to the 200 / 400?? And if I remember correctly from what has been discussed by yourself, Conway, and Justin, those events would be more complimentary with her desires in the Long Jump.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely would be an interesting turn of events, no pun intended. Smile I'd love to see Freeman attempt the 400/800 double, but at this point in her career, I think we'll be lucky just to see her back at the top of the heap in the quarter.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another blurb from Peak Performance online from Seb Coe:
Quote:
Strength training for endurance
Sebastian Coe - double Olympic 1,500m champion

Seb Coe in full flight down the home straight was an awesome sight. In possession of a double kick, he'd put his foot down around the top bend, then do it again at some point in the home stretch, when he'd scorch away from his rivals. So where did this kick come from?

Coe's ability to sprint did not develop overnight: he spent a lot of time working out with sprinters while studying at Loughborough University in the 1970s, and this helped hone his technique and power. In particular he credits his extensive use of weight training and plyometric work for putting him ahead of his rivals; he was a firm champion of circuit resistance workouts and believed strongly in the benefits of using free rather than fixed weights.

Coe believes that strength training is neglected by many of today's middle and long distance athletes, many of whom would look more at home - at least as far as physique is concerned - on the start line of a marathon than in an 800 or 1500m track race.

What you can learn: endurance athletes should not neglect specific power, speed and strength training. All else being equal, the fastest aerobic athlete over a short distance will also be the fastest over his or her chosen race distance.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb Coe did have some pretty solid legs on him, so those statements seem to fit.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Freeman I generally have a rather simple opinion. She won Olympic Gold in dominating fashion, she is in her best event.

I'm a little surprised at you Dan aren't you usually the guy arguing against listening to the "move up" crowd. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but not when it fits specific athletes. I think Montgomery should be a combo 100/200 runner, which technically would be moving up. Would anyone really consider it that, though? More like expanding one's horizons... I'm not advocating Freeman abandoning the 400, but I think she'd be much better at the 400/800 combo than at the 400/200.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: