Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Things are gettin' interesting in NC!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the part I would prefer to focus on, and the reason I think it's a joke for the IAAF to protest on the grounds that "there must be hundreds of good coaches in the US." I bet you could count on a single hand the number of coaches in the world with the expertise to get Marion to where she wants to go, be it purely technical or that which people would rather not discuss.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. I would hazzard to guess less than a dozen world wide ... And the powers that be should know that ... But I would say that what she needs could be found here in the states even with those small numbers !!! I keep coming back to just a bad decision ... At least PR wise ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can think of 2 or 3, maybe even 4, here in the US (Smith, Tellez, Holloway, and maybe Kersee, assuming he doesn't get jailed for owing everyone money). Still, reputation and PR aside, I think Francis would have to top that list for people who can truly correct Marion's deficiencies.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might even include the staff at Tennessee ... And then there is Pfaff down in Texas as well ... She would never go to Smith cause of Tim ... At least I don't think she would ... She's from SoCal and went all the way to NC and Trevor ... Go figure .. Actually TEllez would be a good fit for her given that she is a tall sprinter who would benefit from his philosphy of spreading out your speed ... But hey ... Who listens to me ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume she stayed in NC because that's where she went to college. I seem to recall reading that she met Graham through CJ. If there's any reason I could see for not going to Smith, it would be the potential dislike of Inger Miller, but that might have been more of a public perception.

I don't know much about the Tennessee staff other than their recent success with Gatlin and Scott. Pfaff is one of those oft-forgotten ones that has obviously proven himself. Ditto for Clyde Hart and Loren Seagrave. So yes, there are several choices that at least warrant consideration. Curtis Frye? He'd be close to home for her.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Marion came back to the sport Inger was still being coached by her father ... Inger didn't go to HSI til 99 ... So I ain't buying that one ... Yeah she met Trevor through CJ ... Which ain't sayin much about that decision as we know how CJ ended up !!! Yeah she went to UNC, however she was a SoCal product ... So wouldnd't have been a big deal for her to "come back home" and be coached by "the best" currently in the US ... JJK was supposedly her idol and I doubt whe would have been turned away by JJK or Bobby ... Hmmm ... This conversation isn't headed in a good direction for Marion !!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Inger didn't go to HSI til 99 ...

I meant a reason for not going there now, not initially.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a link yet, but Tim has aparently also parted with Francis and released a statement very similar in tone to Marion's.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where do you go from here and how to get there are dicey questions ... It would seem that the improvement would have to be physical as opposed to technical ... At least to the naked eye ...

I feel Francis is able to handle/offer both. And not from just a drug oriented point of view.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... Maybe ... We ARE talking about athletes at their peak ... And ot be honest I am not sure if they can go further without "aid" ... Tim, unfortunately, got his record under optimum conditions - a la Beamon ... Could spend the rest of his career chasing himself - even as teh record goes lower ... And Marion's best is now 4 years behind her ... A long long time in the world of sprinting ... And for both I think that is why such a desperate move ... And I say desperate because they had to know it would bring scrutiny ... Not saying it wasn't the best move for THEM ... But the issue on the table is could they get that level/degree of help else where ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in Marion's case, the problems seem to be largely technical (or mental). I haven't gotten the impression that she's slipped from her peak physically, so some new direction may be just what the doctor ordered.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marion's technique carried her to a 10.65 - #2 all time ... And 21.6 also number 2 on the all time list ... If her problem is mental that is one humongous mental block !!! Marion's technique is the closest to a male sprinter among any of the women out there ... Arguably her technique is better than her boyfriend's !!!! In order to get "faster" yes she (or anyone else) can tweek technique ... But to get where she wants to go sub 10.49 and sub 21.32 let's not kid ourselves, technique is NOT going to get her THERE !!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know if 10.49 is possible. When I talk about getting back to her old self, I mean running in the 10.6's again, which I think the switch to Francis likely would have accomplished. Two very different worlds, though.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Marion needs is for someone to step up ... And I'm not talking about running 10.8s like Zhanna has been doing ... I mean for someone to go sub 10.80 ... I think Marion has gotten into a physical rut ... Her body has locked into 10.85 !!! I've seen athletes of various distances do that when the competition doesn't heat up ... They get into an "automatic" mode where they can run a certain time or range with their eyes closed so to speak ... Then when they get into a really hot race they can't "turn it on" cause they have difficulty getting out of auto pilot .... And I think that is where Marion is ... She's running 10.8x whether she is 5 meters in front OR leaning for the tape !!! If Inger hadn't had the injury I have no doubt that one or both of them would lbe running 10.7s and dipping into 10.6s ... That would have forced the others to get closer to 10.8s ... Bottom line is I think she needs competition more than someones technical expertise ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be, but couldn't the proper motivation in practice also kick her out of that auto pilot mode?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: