Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Pete Rose

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I look at it sort of like in football where a team is down and the opposition has the ball late in the fourth quarter so instead of letting them run out the clock they allow them to score inorder to get the ball back.

I've never seen that strategy employed... Unless you can somehow guarantee their score will only be a field goal and that you will without a doubt score a touchdown immediately after, I don't see how the net effect is anything other than neutral or negative. :question:

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Comparison of Sports Rules and Criminal Law? Reply with quote

1. If you break the law, you pay a fine and/or serve time.
2. When the time is served and/or the fine is paid, you start over in life.. WITH A RECORD!
3. You theoreticly learn a lesson and keep your nose clean.

Point is you do not pay forever, except as I noted, for murder or other horrific crimes. In some types of murder, it is not even a life sentence.

Question:

Why should the punishment for a sports crime (yes I do deplore cheating, betting, etc.. and I agree that it is very very wrong and should get severe punishment) be the same or worse than murder. Time wise that is, not incarceration.

Can someone guilty of cheating or betting not learn a lesson and change their life? Is it reasionable to flush them down the toilet of life and forget about them? I suppose you could put limits on what they could be involved in, or management/participant limitations.

I guess it is just me.... I am not a big sports fan, other than running and bodybuilding, but I am the forgiving type....It may be an age thing....I am not so judgemental as I was when I was younger.

If you folks think I am off base with this...just chalk it up to senility Confused

Ranger G. Twisted Evil
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports are often looked at as recreation or entertainment, i.e. something partaken in by choice. Fines or banishment from said sport can be seen as non-life altering from an occupational standpoint, although that's debatable. If someone is denied entrance to the hall of fame because of something they did wrong, that's not really akin to a murderer eventually being given a chance to start anew. It's not like there's a good samaritan hall of fame that the murderer is hoping to be enshrined in once he's off probation...

The point is, an entertainment industry does what is best for the entertainment value, not necessarily the careers of the people who choose to play the game. Is it worth downplaying the moral signficance of others previously honored by lowering the standards for another?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betting on one's own sport and betting on one's own team should be compared to insider tradeing. The person trading stocks illegally is commiting a crime because they have an unfair advantage; so does the person who bets on games they will play in or manage. (even if they are not throwing the game)
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Yup, Ok, I get the point Reply with quote

Ahhh,

Now you have put it in terms that I clearly understand Neutral

Ok, I fully agree with you on this. Sorry to have been a putz... Embarassed

I was looking at it from another point of view (I was in law enforcement at one time).

Ummm Dan...what the heck is that thing in the middle of the Run-Down Logo??? It's not what I think it is, is it???? Sad

Ranger G.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
I've never seen that strategy employed... Unless you can somehow guarantee their score will only be a field goal and that you will without a doubt score a touchdown immediately after, I don't see how the net effect is anything other than neutral or negative.

Actually you let them score a touch down so you can get the ball back hopefully score and then onside kick and hope to recover and then make the winning score. It's a desperate move but I've seen it used more than once. After all if they run out the clock you're going to loose anyway, by letting them score you get the ball back and at worst you just helped them cover the spread. (I had to tie this back to Pete Rose somehow Wink )
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what the heck is that thing in the middle of the Run-Down Logo??? It's not what I think it is, is it????

You betcha! Smile

DG, I don't know what to say... It's such a stupid, desparate strategy that it almost makes sense. Talk about playing the [slim] odds...

Dan
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Ya darn near killed me Dan!!! Reply with quote

Dan,

I am doing my weight lifting right now, and have the PC next to the bench. I looked over for new posts, and saw that thing in the middle of the logo and dang near dropped the barbell on my neck (210 lbs). I managed to get the bar on the safety pins before I lost it Laughing

HELP SPOTTERS.............. Confused

"Desparate Strategy"?? Ya think??? Rolling Eyes Surprised Very Happy Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

Ranger G. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: