Questions regarding breathing...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe I missed something but this thread was about breathing technique not side aches.

I thought I was pretty clear in saying twice that the two are closely related... Furthermore, if you acknowledge side aches as being a common problem and do not refute that breathing techniques can alleviate them, then you cannot say one should not pay extra attention to breathing in certain situations. Simple logic.

Quote:
please refrain from trying to discredit my ability to give compotent advice on this subject or any other running related subject.

I'm not trying to discredit you any more than I was using "you" in the general sense. However, I was trying to make a point: All too often, people to whom something comes easily (thus making them good at it) give advice on that subject, assuming those to whom it comes with less ease are doing it wrong. Yet, the very fact that they did not have to work at it makes them less qualified to relate to, and comment on, those who do. Just one example of where being good at something does not necessarily equate to understanding it or being able to teach it.

And if you do want to view this as me addressing you directly, then who cares? It's not like you'll be coaching anyone at your level for whom this is a significant issue, so that's a moot point.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jafar
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm.... Woe....

BREATH, everyone! Very Happy
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Jafar, I was taking some short, sharp breaths myself on those responses!! Surprised Confused

Last edited by Paul on Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I didn't pay attention to this thread before, but I find it interesting that distance runners wouldn't think that breathing properly is very important ...

Even in sprinting breathing is important ... Extremely important when you're talking 200 & 400 meters ... I agree with DG that relaxing is important ... But how can one relax when the muscles are fighting for air ??? Building lung capacity, efficiency of breaths are very important in the longer sprints ... Providing your muscles with enough oxygen when oxygen is running out enables one to have better muscular control which in turn results in more relaxed efficient movement ...

Look at any very relaxed athlete - ElG, Geb, KK, Wilson Kipketer, Gatlin, Watts, MJ - and tell me they aren't breathing better than those they are competing against ... Bursts of speed do not come without a fair amount of oxygen to burn ... Neither do sustained charges ... Nothing like watching someone try to cut a lead only to run out of "gas" !!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
Furthermore, if you acknowledge side aches as being a common problem and do not refute that breathing techniques can alleviate them, then you cannot say one should not pay extra attention to breathing in certain situations. Simple logic.

I have found often that paying extra attention to certain things while running causes more problems than it solves. For example when racing in college as I would tire my upper body would tighten up and my stride would shorten. For two years coachd yelled at me to relax stride out, and all it did was caused me to tighten up further. Finally he would tell me to shake my arms and hands out. And it worked. Many times concious thought isn't what you need instead you get better results from doing things that get the results without dwelling on it.

wrote:
but I find it interesting that distance runners wouldn't think that breathing properly is very important ...

It is important, I simply look at it from a different perspective than most people.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a rather "neither here nor there" response... Shaking your arms out is every bit as conscious an action as relaxing your shoulders, lengthening your stride, or changing up your breathing. You seem to be talking yourself into a corner by being unwilling to admit the important role breathing awareness can play...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. I still assert that you don't have to (and shouldn't) be constatntly dwelling on every breath in order to breathe properly while running. If you focus on running relaxed your breaths will flow smoothly and easily. If you are worrying about the cadance and depth of every breath and trying to controll them then you'll almost certainly slow down, not to mention drive yourself nuts. Staying relaxed in your upper body will allow you to breath efficiently without causing you to slow down needlessly.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still assert that you don't have to (and shouldn't) be constatntly dwelling on every breath

Please point me to where I said anything remotely resembling that... Making a concerted effort to breathe properly does not mean constant attention is required, just that you need to make a conscious change. Just like kicking at the end of the race requires a lot of energy (both physical and mental) to change gears, but holding on after that gear change is much more automatic.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance_Guru wrote:
Not at all. I still assert that you don't have to (and shouldn't) be constatntly dwelling on every breath in order to breathe properly while running. If you focus on running relaxed your breaths will flow smoothly and easily. If you are worrying about the cadance and depth of every breath and trying to controll them then you'll almost certainly slow down, not to mention drive yourself nuts. Staying relaxed in your upper body will allow you to breath efficiently without causing you to slow down needlessly.

Is't that where traiing comes in ??? Training is where you work on things, including breathing ... You are abolutely right in htat when one is competing everything should be as natural as possible ... But is seems to me that it is during training that new "natural" habits are established ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A la learning how to run properly. Wink

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through my readings I have found a lot of information on breathing but most of it dealt with sprinting. (yes Conway I have read books on sprinting, since I also coach hurdles) I have found little information on breathing in distance books.

In my own experiences the only time I have thought about breathing (besides while reading this thread) was when I was bored on a run or when I am sick (stuffy nose). In those times I remembered reading about certain cadence during different speeds or paces.

There are a lot of subtle improvements that every runner (distance or sprint) can make every day. But if a runner does something well (breathing) than that runner should not start to sweat the details of that skill. Just as if a runner has a great stride that runner should not spend a lot of training time trying to improve on that detail. If the runner starts to develop problems then it is time to work on it. And my first advise would be to just try and RELAX.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But if a runner does something well (breathing) than that runner should not start to sweat the details of that skill.

Agreed.

Dan
will
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've got a question: if people could really run like they do in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, would it be outlawed by the USATF? Imagine the mile, 45.02s!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think genetic engineering might be something we have to worry about first...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: