Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
What I enjoy most about this forum...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: What I enjoy most about this forum... Reply with quote

We've all pretty much at one time or other stated things about this site that we really liked, I thought I'd start a thread along that line.

What inspired me was reading and putting up a few posts on another board. Around here we seem to pride ourselves on mature conversation. Everyone here is familiar (in a cyber sense) with the other primary posters and that keeps us honest (for the most part anyway Wink ). These are things that really seem to be lacking in most of the other message boards I've come across. Where there are so many posters that the only members everyone else is familiar with are guys that have a daily average of posts equal to Dan and Conways combined posting totals. Nobody respects anyone else because they have no idea who they are or where they're coming from. Around here we have very few renegade posters who go around making moronic remarks on half the threads in the forum. Dan deals with those we do have very quickly.

And something else that I recently have learned to appreciate even more is the fact that around here we tend to read the message not just look for a way to harp on the person who has most recently posted. On other boards I've seen (and been on the recieving end of) posts by morons that have no idea who there fellow posters are and have nothing better to do than make fun of typo's in other peoples posts. These are message boards not a masters thesis for goodness sake, but I digress...

What I'm getting at is that as much as I would like to see a greater diversity of posters on this board, I think that maintaining the level of maturity and intelligence on this board is what makes it different and better than most of the forums out there. And that is something I truely hope does not change.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great board because:

Individuals respect each other ...

We've developed camaraderie amongst the group ....

Everyone is very knowledgeable and freely shares what they know ....

We agree to disagree and hold on to the respect .....

Having said that, I would love to see more people on the board ... .As long as they agreed to follow the pattern that already exists ... We had a lot of people participate in the Fantasy League .... I wish they felt compelled to participate in the discussions as well .... I hope that next year the Fantasy Forum becomes more popular as that could lead to more people participating ....

In either case this is the best place I have found for discussing track .... There are lots of other boards .... But they deteriorate rapidly into something other than an intelligent discourse .... Embarassed

Last edited by Conway on Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like about this forum ... is that people like it enough to share thoughts like the above! Thumbs Up

I think about 2-3x the current number of regulars would be an excellent balance to the views expressed by DG and Conway, with maybe that many again semi-frequent visitors.

Speaking of Fantasy T&F, we're probably getting close to the time where we should start tossing ideas around (not that I'm caught up with other stuff enough to tackle program upgrades)...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DG and Conway.

Plus I like the cross section of people:

A college coach in Nebraska

A high school coach in New Mexico

An "old" weightlifter in Oregon

An "old" sprinter in California

The pontificator maximus in Oregon

And a village idiot in south Georgia

We need some women Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly have to say that the ability to agree to disagree is without a doubt something enjoyable that you don't find on the vast majority of forums. I would have to also agree that it would be nice to have a ladies point of veiw on many of the issues we discuss around here. Or as MW so eliquently put it we need some women Exclamation (change the we to I and it just might be the title of my autobiography Surprised )
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some women, a probing journey by Distance_Guru... You've been warned! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: What I like about this Forum Reply with quote

While I am quite new to this forum, and somewhat new (again) to running, I enjoy the variety of people who post messages, questions, and even things beyond my my understanding (middle-distance) Confused . I am well aware that I have a lot to learn, even at this late point in life. I got into running again to get back into shape and deal with mid-life crisis Smile , but I learn important new things every day from fellow runners in person, and in cyberspace. Everyone here seems honest, fair, and interested in others opinions. There also seems to be quite a number of members who are knowledgeable and ready to help.

The only down side I can see, is that if I post enough messages to get out ot the "Lurker" stage, I will probably get canned for spending too much time on the internet, while on the job Confused

As Dr. Mad Mike can tell you all, I am a little bit of a joker, but I will reign it in for such and esteemed group. Laughing

Dan, thanks for such a nice forum!

Ranger G. Twisted Evil
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will probably get canned for spending too much time on the internet, while on the job

Just tell your boss it's research and come up with a good explanation... We'll vouch for ya. Wink

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RangerG, I just saw some pictures on my favorite channel (The Weather Channel) of Chester County PA.

How do you run in that stuff? Sad
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Running in the mush Reply with quote

Micah,

Well, it can be interesting Smile I ran the Santa Run (no I did not beat Santa) on Saturday and there were still some icy spots Confused I ran in a long sleeve T-shirt with a poly-pro shirt under it, and long tights. The run preceeded the town parade, and I ran back thru town to the start with a bagel in my mouth and a PowerAid bottle in my hand. Everyone laughed at that one, I must have looked stupid Sad

In the winter and on trails I wear Nike Air Storm Pegusus as they are semi waterproof and give me a good grip. Heck if it were bad enough, I would wear my climing crampons Laughing The real hard part is running at 5:00am and sucking in lungfulls of 20 degree air. Rough for a guy my age Confused

I am trying to get someone in my area to organize a winter 15k trail race in the ice and snow. It would be lots of fun Twisted Evil I'm sure the local ambulance and rescue squads would love it too Neutral

While we are on the subject, I happen to be somewhat knowledgeable about cold/foul weather gear and clothing. Just in case anyone needs advice. I have over 30 years experience in this area, and I am glad to answer questions.

Ranger G Twisted Evil ("The odd and twisted side of trail running")
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we ever set up a climatization and moisture/temperature management forum, I know who to ask to moderate it! Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is extremely rare to have a day to run here when it is below freezing. Of course the flip side of that is those summer months when even the early morning runs are hot and humid. If you wait past 9 in the morning then it's gonna be over 80. Sad
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: 80 degrees?? Reply with quote

Micah,

Whats wrong with 80 degrees? Our big 30k trail race this year was 90 degrees. How do you think I lost 50 lbs this year Laughing

The hard part for me is the seasion change, cold-hot and hot-cold.

Ranger G Evil or Very Mad
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually 80 would be pleasant for most of the summer. Our normal day in the summer is going to be over 90 temp and 80 humidity.

So we sweat alot. Very Happy
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've found out since moving out of the NM (where I was either living in the mountains or the desert) and into Nebraska is that I hate humidity. I'm sure we aren't nearly as humid as GA but man this summer we had about three strait weeks of 90-105 with 40-60+% humidity and I thought I was going to die. Give me and Albuquerque day of 110-115 with less than 5% every time. I've run in that heat and the only problem I had was sun burn. I tried to run in 95 with about 60% and I was seeing spots and thought I was going to pass out. MW I don't see how you do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: