Training Talk
30% Long Runs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh coachd hates runners playing basketball. Just ask DG..
HU XC always had a pretty good Intermural Basketball team.

I do believe that basketball helped my speed development. and I have been lucky that I've never been hurt playing b-ball. In fact I've been injured more by running (and not counting chronic injuries)
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh coachd hates runners playing basketball

You have to admit we had a number of athletes get hurt playing intramurals. Of course it didn't help that the football players would get so tired chasing the xc guys they would just knock them down!

As for Hammer and hills...When he came in he was always, "the tougher the course the better", then, like a lot of college guys he got more enamored by "fast courses". But I do remember Hammer performing pretty well at Balboa Park (San Diego St./Aztec Inv)--a fast course, but two hellacious hells...Hammer was flying past people on the uphills. Guys from Pecos (Hammer) and Aztec (DG) cannot run very far without running hills...everywhere is "uphill"...or so it seems.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with coachd when it comes to basketball. I was always spraining an ankle or something in my college days. Many runners will just use their running shoes when they play, and those shoes are not built for that kind of stability. This kind of activity has its place, but the lateral stresses can be tough. A little bit goes a long ways, here, in my opinion.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, that's a good walk to run ratio at this point. How's the leg holding up??

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many runners will just use their running shoes when they play, and those shoes are not built for that kind of stability.

All the more reason to encourage them to go the distance. Wink None of this sneaking out for a quick pick-up game. If you're gonna play, do it right and get a workout while you're at it!

I look at it this way: I'm probably as injury prone as anyone else on the planet, yet I've had very few injuries playing basketball (even with notoriously weak ankles) and have never made it through a XC or track season without a handful of injuries. My approach with coaching was that I'm not out there to make decisions for people. My role is to guide them toward making wise decisions on their own. I figure the long term results are much better that way. As such, I leave it up to the athletes to decide if extra-curricular hoops is something they can do safely. If they get hurt doing it or are too tired to practice as a result, they know they'll get no sympathy from me. On the other hand, they also know they won't get grief from me for doing so. If they know the risks ahead of time and still feel they are worth taking, then why not make the best of it and avoid the inevitable battles over setting one's priorities? That's a lose-lose situation...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basketball and running... I've seen it go both ways. First off when I was working as personal trainer in Albuquerque my gym had lots of international runners training there. Most notably the Italian and Korean national marathoning teams. The Italians were amazing three times a week they would come in and after doing some drills and wieghts they would play two hours strait of full court basketball. The coach said it was good for them sort of like Plyo's and sprints all in one. On the other hand I personally have had two reasons for not allowing my athletes to play basketball. The first one is me the second one is my only senior guy.

As Hammer hinted I hurt myself playing intermural basketball. I went up for a rebound and landed on one of my teammates shoes. I sprained my ankle something awful. It was black and purple and the size of a grapefruit. The next day coachd gave me the chewing out of a life time. I was whirl pooling my ankle when from the training room door a clip board comes flying and smashes against the wall next to my head. He emptied the training room and screamed at about getting hurt. Lets just say that was the last HU intramural basketball team I ever played on. Last year right before outdoor the runner who at the time was the only talented and healthy runner over 3000m on my guys side was playing ball in a basketball activity class and broke his ankle causing him to loose a year of outdoor track which he won't ever get to run (he's graduating this May in 4 years Thumbs Up ) .

So as a coach I don't allow my kids to play hoop and I generally advise against it because of the risk of injury. However I certainly won't say it's bad for you. And if you can play it without getting hurt them there really isn't anything wrong with it.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was whirl pooling my ankle when from the training room door a clip board comes flying and smashes against the wall next to my head.

I think we should have a brainstorming session and come up with a new nickname for DG based on this incident... Clipboard, Bulls Eye, Off Guard, Tippy??? Something's gotta be in there...

I've also hammered my ankle playing basketball -- fortunately at the end of 1st semester finals week, giving 4 weeks of recovery and then early season without races (8-10 weeks of total recovery time), but the lingering effects certainly were no worse than the weekly ankle sprains I suffered throughout high school cross country.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any basketball stories to tell but in answer to Paul's question, everything is feeling fine. I'm rehabbin very conservatively and should be back to 30 minute runs in about 3 weeks.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the weight? Smile

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to diminish the anguish that occurred at the time, but how come every time DG and Hammer relate a story of themselves and coachd, I say to myself "this would make a great movie script"!! Cool Thumbs Up Very Happy

(waiting for the 2003 Christmas release) Paul

Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight?

Why would we want to talk about weight? Embarassed

Actually, I started the year at 209 and I am 203.5 this morning. Still fat but improving. Smile
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but how come every time DG and Hammer relate a story of themselves and coachd, I say to myself "this would make a great movie script"!!

I thought that my (and DG's) running career were pretty normal, and not worthy of the movies. I think it has more to do with the way DG and coachd tell the stories.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, progress is progress, right? Smile

Hammer, it's all about the delivery...

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been able to rebound nicely from my awful race.

Monday +8 miles in 57 min.
Tuesday 2 mile warm up, drills, 10X75m hill sprints, 3 mile cool down. Wednesday +7miles in 52 min.

I'll run 3 miles hard (8k-10k pace) today and another hour run on Friday.
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was whirl pooling my ankle when from the training room door a clip board comes flying and smashes against the wall next to my head.

In my defense, may I state that I'm a very good aim with a clipboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: