Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnb470 wrote:
Waiting for a Hammer update, here!!

In the mean time how about an update on you.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, DG, negligence on my part. Dan wasn't kidding when he said trying to find my training posts was like going on a forum Easter egg hunt. I've been dropping them all over the place!! Embarassed My training has been going great guns. Here's some highlights:

Week between Christmas and New Years, put in 28 miles in 8 days, including my first 4 miler that I already mentioned, and a 5 miler.

Did an interval workout consisting of 4 x 1000m with a 2 minute jog recovery in 4:35, 4:40, 4:47, 4:32. I was going for pace but I was all over the place on these. Confused

Last Tuesday at the regular interval workout, did 20 minutes of 300m buildups with a 100m jog recovery. We were supposed to do 70%, 80%, 90% for the 100m legs. I did more like 75%, 85%, 95%+, with the last few close to all out the last 100m- hands on my knees at the end. We finished up that workout with 20 min of 200m at under 5K pace with a 200m jog recovery, no walking allowed! I probably did more like mile pace. I usually run with a couple of ladies in these interval workouts. One ran XC for a small Georgia school 10 years ago, the other is about my age. They both are from Montana, and two weeks ago ran in a snow shoe race up at Mt. Hood! I have more speed than they do, but they would both leave me in the dust in any standard road race.

Thursday- 5 1/2 mile run on bike path in Tryon Creek. 2 1/2 miles of this is a solid climb with few breaks.

Friday- 2 x one mile on the track with a 440 jog between. Wanted to do a 4 min half followed by a 3:40-3:50 half, but I kind of screwed that up. Ran 7:30 for the 1st one. Paced myself better on the 2nd one, then opened up a bit on the last half and ran 1:40 followed by 1:35 for a 7:15 mile with a closing 3:15 half. This was definitely hands on my knees at the end of this one, too!!

Today I went down to see Dan and his new house. We went over to Willamette Univ and put in 6 miles very nicely. Great day!! Clear, dry, cool; we both wore gloves. Body seems to be holding up real well, so far. This constitutes my longest run since Aug 2001, again. It was a long one for Dan, too, but he handled it with no problems. We are making plans to do this on a regular basis, I know I really benefited from running with him. I am nowhere in his league, but with his injuries he has to tone it down, so it works out for both of us. Bush (spelling?) Park at Willamette has a packed wood chip/bark dust trail clear around the perimeter. It's amazing how that is on your feet and legs. I think sometime in Feb I could hit 9 miles there. What do you think, Dan?? After the run we headed over to Dan's favorite restaurant and loaded up on some great Thai food.

This put me over 25 miles for this week.

I think I will start a thread: Winter Workouts. I have a few questions about your workouts over the Holidays that I need to get clear in my mind, if that's acceptable with you, DG.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt

Last edited by Paul on Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice I changed my profile from pnb470 to my first name.
Paul

Last edited by Paul on Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hammer got Hammered!! 29.39 for 4.86 miles and 11th place.....

I was in 4th place after the mile in 5.50 feeling pretty good. 6th place through the 2nd and 3rd miles still feeling pretty good and closing on 5th place runner (a runner DG knows well Eric Peters). Between 20-24 minutes I felt really bad, I got passed by a few people and couldn't challenge. Most of that segment was uphill (i'm a below average hill runner). I held on for the last .86 of the race and ran close to my prediction.

I was (and am still) pretty upset about the race. I WILL NOT race again untill I can break 18 for 5k without competition!! But I am still focused on my goal of running a low 27 8k in September @ the Cowboy Jamboree.

I wish the race was on Monday. I felt great and HAMMERED my 8 miler running the last 4 miles under 6.30/mile.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am nowhere in his league

Consider that a good thing! My league is a painful and desolate place to be...

It was a very good run though; my longest since summer or early Fall. I sure miss the days of having someone to run with on a regular basis. I think yesterday was the most loops (1.5 mi/per) I've done in that park, so we're already in record territory ... 9 miles would be a record for the ages! Other than my feet being a bit sore today, it doesn't feel like an extra loop or two would've been too impossible.

Hammer, we knew you wouldn't be able to hold back on the early pace. Smile Nice job overall, though. I just can't quite grasp how someone named "Hammer" could be a below average hill runner, though. Confused

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great running, Hammer!! How was the weather this year??
Quote:
I WILL NOT race again untill I can break 18 for 5k without competition!!

Empty threat!! You would run in the low 17's on the track right now!! Thumbs Up

Paul

Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask coachd not DG: @ one time I was a good hill runner (HS and early on in college.) I don't know what happened????

I run hills all the time, you have to if you run where I live. I have trouble finding flat runs (I would have to drive away from my home or school.)

Paul- I don't think I could break 18 right now. I'm probably going to extend my mileage building phase of my training for another month and put together 6 weeks of +50mpw and then get back to some serious interval training. I am going to continue to work on pure speed and 1 element a week of Lactate threshold or MAX VO2 (I'll alternate weeks)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going to continue to work on pure speed...

Conway and I haven't had an effect on you, have we? It's ok, we won't tell anyone... Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thursday- 5 1/2 mile run on bike path in Tryon Creek. 2 1/2 miles of this is a solid climb with few breaks.

Being very close to my parents' place, I can vouch for the difficulty of that particular hill. Let's just say that my not so reliable car in high school could barely make it up it without stalling...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work all. Smile

I will verify that Hammer doesn't enjoy running hills. I'm not so sure he's all that bad at them but he certainly doesn't like them.

Paul it sounds like you've got a good thing going. Your training sounds pretty consitant, which above all else is the key to getting into shape. Having a training partner helps too. Between Dan and the two ladies you do your intervals with (you stud Wink ) it sounds like you've got plenty of people to keep you acountable.

Hammer, if Eric Peters was in 5th that must have been a pretty good field, he used to (when I was good) give me all I could handle in races under 10k and destroyed me in everything longer. I don't remeber the los Locos having feilds anywhere near that good.

As for my own training I got in 30 miles with a good set of intervals two weeks ago. Last week I was doing well until the weekend. I only got in 19 miles (none on Saturday, because of the trackmeet, or Sunday because I was lazy). I did get in 2x800 in 2:50 with a minute rest followed by a very hard 13 minute tempo run. I was planning to get in five 800's but the baseball team came into Cushing for practice so I had to leave. This week I'm hoping to get around 30 again although I'll probably need to put in a two run day to do it since we have a two day meet this weekend and I would rather not put in more than a 7-8 mile long run. But I've told one of my athletes who's red shirting that I'm going to run the 5k at our outdoor home meet and that if he's man if to race me I'll kick his butt. I did this for two reasons first to get him fired up and give him a reason to train. And of coarse now that I've opened my big mouth I have to back it up which of coarse means I have to get my training going.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hard tempo run after your 800's sounds grueling!! How is the weather holding up? Do you do all your interval training on the indoor track? how is the running outside like? This has been a remarkably mild winter, so far, in my neck of the woods.

Quote:
(you stud )

Hardly!! Actually there's 3 or 4 women that train regularly on Tuesdays. During the summer it was mostly men. By the time we finish up on Tuesday, they're ready to head out for beer and pizza, I'm headed for the oxygen tent at a local ICU!! One of the younger girls is a triathlete and goes for a swim afterwards. Me? I'm swimming in a sea of lactate!!Embarassed

Paul

Last edited by Paul on Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG, you'll definitely have to keep us posted as to how this match race goes! Smile If you beat him, just don't do it too bad or he may be too embarrassed to come back out...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of outstanding workouts by all Thumbs Up

I'm down here walking 2 min and jogging 7 min and hoping to be able to shuffle through a 5K on Feb 22. Stand by...you will get a race report. Wink

Paul, what is the small school your running partner went to? Berry, West Georgia, Reinhardt, Georgia College??????????????
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conway and I haven't had an effect on you, have we? It's ok, we won't tell anyone...

Don't worry you haven't Wink

I've always incorporated speed in my training. But now I can see that I am slower. Probably because I don't play basketball anymore.

But the last time I ran an 8k in the low 27's was 4 years ago (before I started coaching) and that was after a summer (3 months) of running DGs system.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Probably because I don't play basketball anymore.

I was somewhat in the minority on our coaching staff in the belief that basketball is beneficial to sprinters, even in-season (for the most part). As long as you don't get hurt -- and let's face it, people get hurt doing all sorts of things; sleeping wrong, stepping off a curb or in a hole, etc. -- it works all the right things.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: