Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
30% Long Runs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: 30% Long Runs Reply with quote

During this phase of my training December - April I have 2 major goals: 1. Develop speed for summer racing and 2. Prepare to run about 50 miles in 2 days during Easter weekend.

As some of you have read I am coming off of an injury that put me on the shelf for 1 month. I still get a little sore (foot) when running on pavement or concrete so I am easing back into training (25 miles last week). But I need to get ready for my easter run so my long runs (sundays) are going to be 30% of my overall mileage and the rest of my week will be my usual winter/spring speed training.

I was wondering what you all thought about this type of training???
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like typical Runners World type training (and I don't mean that as an insult). Generally when you're running less than 45 miles a week your weekly long run should make up about 30% of your weekly mileage. That percentage will go down once you get over about 50 mpw.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer, what is your normal racing distance, and is Easter weekend a race that involves runs over 2 days??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A double marathon weekend? Ouch. Glad it's you and not me. Smile

How serious of a run is that?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually gone on part of that run with him. In New Mexico a big thing on good friday (or easter sunday I forget which) is to walk (or in our case run) to a little church in Chemio. It's an old Spanish mission with a dirt floor. The earth from that floor is supposed to have miraculous healing powers. There are thousands of people from all over the country that make the pilgramage every year over that weekend. When I did it with him two or three years ago I think we went 22-3 miles. The idea is to complete the pilgramage nothing more (at least for me). It's really neat because you run past hundreds maybe thousands of other pilgrams along the route. Everyone is in a good mood and it's very encouraging.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. So, I take it it's a 25 mile journey and Hammer is looking to make it a round trip run?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are usually a one way trip get there and you either have someone pick you up or hich a ride back (people are always more than willing to give you a ride back to town after wards). When I went with him we just parked the car at a predetermined starting point and went from there. Then got a ride back to our car in the bed of a fellow pilgrams truck. I imagine he's just moved back the starting point for this years run.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG is correct about the pilgrimage. This year I am starting from my home and traveling about 1/2 the distance (25 miles) on Thursday and then the rest Santa Fe to Chimayo the next.

I plan to employ the 30% long runs throughout the season, regardless of the amount of overall mileage. That way I can increase my long run weekly and still rest my sore foot early on. I will probably run a test 20miler about a month from Easter to see where I'm at.

And the # of pilgrims usually is in the tens of thousands when you are talking about the entire Easter week.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope for good weather, in northern NM that time of year conditions can change wildly from one hour to the next.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Ease that Sore Tootsy Reply with quote

Dear Hammer: Probably you've already done this, but, if not, you might consider pulling the stock innersoles (sockliners) out of your training flats, and replace them with a more shock absorbing after market pair.

I do this as a matter of course in all my flats, and have been using something called The Sliver Liner. Fortunately I bought a bunch at one time, because the company seems to have been taken over by Sorbothane, and dissappeared.

Not sure which brand I'll go for the next time, but I'm sure it won't be the hard-ish black rubber-ish stuff from Sorbothane. However, Sorbothane does make a foam verson that might be okay.

In any case, your fifty miles sounds like fun - and might be even more fun with the new innersoles, and no achy feet. Dr.(Mad Dog Mike) Schreiber, www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like I've joined the 30% club. Last week I got in 20 miles and 7 of them came on my sunday run. I'm shooting for 25 this week and will probably end up with about an 8 or 9 mile sunday run. Plus I'll be getting in a little quaility work as well. I've got a few kids still in town over the break and for most of the quaility workouts I only have one girl. Since it really stinks to run intervals by yourself when you used to having two or three people at about your same speed, I'm going to jump in and help pace her. I just hope that I can keep up Neutral .
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Keeping up with the little girl Reply with quote

Dear DG: I seem to remember reading not too long ago, of some elite European or US marathoners going to a camp in Kenya, and having their clocks cleaned by bunches of 12 year-old kids Surprised . Mad Dog, www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard several rumors like that. Of coarse what I liked even better was when a bunch of Kenyan running for various colleges in the US would get their clocks cleaned by a rather thickly built white guy with a shaved head and a shuffling stride. Moral of these stories; never expect to have it easy wheather your racing a 12 old kenyan or a slow looking American.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: So true, so true! Reply with quote

DG: Correct, don't sell anyone short, or you may be in for a big surprise one day.

Among pretty good, but certainly non-elite marathoners, the major goal is often to break 3 hours.

Yet given the right genetic make-up much is possible that doesn't seem so at first glance. I have seen barely trained Clydsdales, with a footfall that could break concrete, break 3 hours with apparent ease.

So, I am awaiting the outcome of the death match Razz between the little girl and the Guru. Mad Dog www.trainng2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call her a little girl, 21 years old and last year only missed our school record in the 3000 indoor by a few seconds. She did well but I've got the superior speed. We went 5x800 with 3:30 to 4:00 mins rest 2:51, 2:47 (my fault, too fast) 2:54, 2:54, 2:57. The goal time window was 2:54-2:58, of coarse like all coaches that windows set up just a little on the slow side since kids love to go under the time you set up. This workout was indoor and boy did my lungs burn. Normally I would have run outside, it was about 45 degrees, but she's really thin and hates running fast stuff in anything below 65 degrees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: