7. Katy Trotter, Northeast
8. Rachel Forish, South
9. Amber Smith, Midwest
10. Heather Wood, West (Los Alamos, NM)
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic but I have a question for the group, in your state how important is Footlocker? For example, in NM it's a pretty big deal every year that are at least 10-15 or more kids running in the footlocker seeded race and many more in each of the class races. Here in Nebraska it's almost like they've never heard of it, I want to say that this year we only had about 6 or so guys in the mid west regional, and of those only two were anywhere near the top of the state. The best runner in the state didn't even go. Which to me seems very strange, I'm almost positive stuff like that doesn't happen in California (since they always host the West Reigional), what about the other states represented on our board, OR, GA or any others people are familiar with. Do I just live in a deadzone for Footlocker or is it just not that big a deal?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to be a huge deal in Oregon. Something to do, but it doesn't get a ton of coverage and I don't recall teammates talking about it all that much.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coverage is something all together different, I don't think it gets to much coverage anywhere. At least in NM where it was a fairly big deal it was pretty much spread all by word of mouth and flyers. But when you've got a footlocker All American on your team you just might be in a postition to hear more about it than most people.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school, there was a guy who as a sophomore placed 6th at the Kinney/Footlocker West Regionals after placing about 4th at state, so he was always mentioned as the guy who ran great at Kinney. Other than that, there was virtually no word of mouth surrounding the meet, at least not that I heard.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NM was kind of strange in that we pretty much only talked about it with the other people on my team, but when I went to the regional meet there were all these people that I knew from racing them. Entire teams did fund raising so they could take everyone that wanted to go, not just the kids running in the elite race but those who were mid packers running in the class races as well.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The daughter ran the Footlocker Regionals in North Carolina twice. She went to high school in VA and there seemed to be a good representation those years from VA. But when I started looking around for teams from GA there just were not very many. Especially outside of the metro Atlanta area.
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: footlocker picks Reply with quote

Okay Hammer, nodody else has given you picks to compare and since you've been kicking my ass in fantasy football, here's my big chance at redemption...

1. Lambie
2. Blood
3. Kaltenbach
4. Harper
5. Nelson...gets pushed hard for the first time all year and cramps!
6. Chock
7. Magill
8. Bryan
9. Trotter
10. Owen

If Heather Wood makes the top ten I will acknowledge you publically on this foum as the "all-powerful and all-seeing Oz of the Footlocker!"

Hey, DG...think our little 'ol schools have a chance at any of the footlocker finalists? I didn't think so...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
think our little 'ol schools have a chance at any of the footlocker finalists? I didn't think so...

That's the kind of optimism it takes to climb to the top of your region! Thumbs Up

Dan
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: optiimism... Reply with quote

Optimism is one thing...realism is another. I think I'm a very optimistic and enthusiastic recruiter for my program.

For years, (probably 4-5), I would send a handwritten note of congratulations to every Footlocker finalist (well, juniors and seniors) in care of their high school coach or program. The note was always personal in some way (I would do a little research about the runner) and would conclude along the lines of.."If you are still considering options for your running future and are interested in a smaller school..."

I never once received an email, call, letter from any athlete so much as saying "thanks for taking the time to write, but no thanks." It took a long time to write those letters by hand. I thought at worst I would be making an impression with coaches down the line sometime. I think what it really was was an exercise in futility.

You need to put scarce resources (in my case, time) to better use. Footlocker finalists aren't looking at DII schools very often.

If your intent was to be critical of my attitude toward recruiting, I take offense. If it was more likely your sarcastic wit...I'll laugh along with you.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it was neither. It didn't occur to me my statement would/could be read that way... Sad I meant it entirely in a positive manner, in all honesty.

Still, I understand what you mean, having been involved in several levels of deciding who to focus recruiting efforts on. It's a fine line between ambitious and futile, to be sure.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was nothing about it in the local paper, even though 2 boys qualified from the Portland area. I have seen very little about the Footlocker except in T&FN and then I didn't pay much attention. I think the reasons the Footlocker got any attention at all in Oregon this year is because of the quality of our runners and Jespersen said he was really gearing for it, having run last year. We have no indoor season to speak of in Oregon.

I don't have enough knowledge to make any predictions, but I think Nelson looks hard core and will take the race on the 2 hills. Jespersen has a lot of speed and will take it in a sprint at the end. Rupp won the State of Oregon meet and will be very tough grinding out the middle section of the race.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachd, I see the source of the confusion. I mis-read your statement and didn't quite catch the gist of the "I didn't think so..." at the end, which sort of changes the meaning. Oops. Embarassed

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess times have changed, coachd. I would have been flattered to receive a letter like that 30 yrs ago.
Back in 1967, I had a chance to go to Lewis & Clark, an NAIA school locally that had an excellent track program. I opted for Oregon State and only spent a year there before transferring to Portland State. Just one of many things I'd like to have a second shot at. Surprised

Paul
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I see what you mean. That does put coachd's post in an entirely different light.

It seems that more of the D1 schools are abandoning the dual meet format to concentrate only on the championships. If an athlete likes a team atmosphere, I would think a good D2 or D3 school would have to be considered.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: