Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
The Field House
Old Time Long Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> The Field House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of that, but I figured that landing feet first without flipping would be nearly impossible. And the thought of landing face first and then trying to get your feet to go over your head so as to not lose distance was to painful to recomend.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Carl used was called the double hitch kick ... And the "running" movement is similar to swinging your feet forward when swinging in a swing ... Many of hte best ever jumpers use that method ... One of the few excptions being the Russian (Emmiyan) who used the hang technique - and went 29 feet ... Where I see a lot of "drag" occuring with the flip methos is during the opening up phase where I would imagine a lot of energy would be sent upwards rather than outward as one began ot uncoil to prepare for the landing ... So talking physics and vectors it would seem to me that much forward movement would be displaced during that phase ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Powell also use what would be considered the hang technique?

I've never actually seen the flip method put to use, so it may be that I'm envisioning something different that what is humanly possible... I figure it would require some modification to the take-off angle to take into account what is being done during push-off and in the air.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powell used the double hitch as well ... So did Myricks ... Beamon used the hang ... So as far as 29 footers are concerned there are two with the hang andn two with the double hitch ... But the double hitch has far more "long" jumpers than the hang ... And for the record most women use the hang - the double hitch is very difficult to master ...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Boston used the running in the air double hitch kick method. The key to landing in the long jump is having your arms way back at the landing to facilitate getting your legs out in front of you, then bringing the arms forward to keep your butt from crashing. But that is a very unnatural movement, and hard to accomplish.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> The Field House All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: