Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Adidas / Home Depot - thoughts …

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Adidas / Home Depot - thoughts … Reply with quote

Nationals is going to be one hell of a fast meet !!!!! One because it is clear that this is a fast track, as I mentioned last week … Seriously fast … And Two because the athletes are starting to peak nicely …

But, back to yesterday's meet … Gotta start with VC …. Veronica is the truth !!!! Period … I only see a couple of sprinters out there that can run with her right now … And if she does something with that start she may end up being untouchable in the 100 !!! That was every bit as dominant a performance as Marion was putting down about 5 years ago …

Men's 100 was exciting and disappointing … First the disappointment … Obviously that was Mo … But, for whatever reason, MO is having a lot of difficulty with his blocks … He kept adjusting them last year at almost every meet … And was doing the same yesterday … Blocks slipped on a couple of the false starts … And then again in the actual race … And for the first time it seemed to mentally affect him as he never appeared to get "into" the race … To his credit, he nothing of it in his interview … And if history is a guide you can bet that he and Smith will focus on this …

Now to the exciting … Leonard Scott … Scott is the real deal and is going to make it hard to make the sprint team at Nationals …. That start was the same one he had when I saw him in Modesto … Folks wanted to call it a flyer then, but it is clear that he is now THE #1 starter out there … And, unfortunately for Mo, Scott is now running Mo's race - great drive, good transition, and serious power in the latter stages - which is why Mo was taken out of the race with that start, he was running against himself !!!!! The only thing needs fixing with Scott is the same thing I said after Modesto - his arm action … That slight cross arm swing makes him tighten a bit late … That will cost him in a race where Mo doesn't slip, or Gat, Crawford, Obikwelu or Powell are in the race … Cause none of them will allow it to happen without capitalizing on it …

Another athlete that I saw at Modesto, that I said at the time seemed to be on track - was POOKIE !!!! He looked control and relaxed in Modesto, and was vintage '04 in this meet … Moves right back to the head of the class with that race … And not because of the time … Because of the control - his ability to perfectly execute his race plan … Merritt, Tyree, Willie, Clement (should he run the race in Europe), all will have to run optimum races to have a shot at Wariner … I've only seen 3 other quarter milers that could go out and simply run their race no matter what - Michael Johnson, Quincy Watts, and John Smith !!! Nationals will be a race of talent vs execution … Right now I am betting on execution …

Speaking of execution, the men's 400H !!! Bershawn Jackson finally looked like he had a stride pattern that he was executing … Put that with his flat out speed and voila - 47.62 !!! I can't wait to see him and Clement at Nationals … I dare say that a time of 47.25 or better could be needed to win if they both click !!!

And keeping with the 400 theme you can't ignore the control of Sanya Richards … Another race plan executed to perfection … She has clearly become America's top quarter miler … And she looks like she may be ready to challenge Ana and Tonique !!!!

And the most exciting race of the day for me was the women's deuce … Most exciting because:

a) Latasha Colander showed that she is equal to last year's form at this time of year … Which means she should show up to Nationals ready to go …
b) Lauryn Williams PR's at 22.27 … Hellaceous turn !!! Great speed and strength … She and VC will have an awesome race when they next meet over 100 !!!!
c) Felix looked awesome … Again the word control has to be used … 22.14 from lane 3 !!! Never flinched … Never wavered … Smooth and fluid from start to finish … Watching her reminded me of Katrin Krabbe … Tall, statuesque, and smooth smooth smooth !!!!! Baring injury Felix WILL go sub 22 this year … I have no doubt about it … That picture that I said was being painted a couple of weeks ago is turning out to be a masterpiece !!!!
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the announcers said that our current group of men's 400 runners are the best in US history. I don't have the historical knowledge the rest of you do. Is he close to a truth there or just too much hyperbole?
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an awesome collection of 400 meter talent right now on the men's side … But the statement made yesterday by Larry Rawson about it being the greatest collection EVER was a tad bit premature … Consider that the following quartermilers all competed at the same time/era (between '67-'72):

Lee Evans (43.86) Olympic gold
Larry James (43.97) Olympic Silver
Vince Matthews (44.2) Olympic gold
Ron Freeman (44.41) Olympic Bronze
Tommie Smith (44.5 in part time duty) Olympic gold in 200
Wayne Collett (44.1) Olympic Silver
John Smith (44.2)
Fred Newhouse (44.2/44.40) Olympic Silver
Curtis Mills (44.4)

While we have a lot of talent right now, today's crop has a long way to go to catch up with this pedigree !!!!
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that his proclamation might be a bit premature. That comment needs to be revisited in about 8-10 years.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pookie?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that would be Wariner's nickname ... Didn't you know that ???
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 88 season with Reynolds, Everett and Lewis and 92 with the former three in addition to MJ and Watts were great seasons for american quarter milers. In fact I believe 92 was the last best season for such a profusion of talent.

My view on the adidas meet, well, jacksons 47.62 run was the performance of the meet for me. Will he be able to break garcias dominance over the last few years. The 400m hurdles will be an interesting event this year.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't believe I had heard that nickname.

'92 is pretty darn tough to beat for 400m talent...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that 92 season well - what an amazing group of individuals the 400 should be a very hot event this year on both sides men and women...

Premature - yes for sure but at least i don't think Rawson said v8 engine in a volkswagon body or human hydroplane once that last meet - or did I just tune it out... But back to the talent pool I believe that we have mentioned this before but its possible that in a few years we will look to this year as the beginning of something big in the quarter (yeah I still call it that no matter what) but that reains to be seen...

Bershawn looked amazing! as did Felix she is the real deal just so fluid
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I defintiely think it is the start of something potentially great ... NO doubt about it ... But we're just not there yet ... The two groups we've been discussing are easily the greatest groups ever ... Time will tell us how this current crop will hold up ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: