Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Runners don't need coaching ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the track stuff goes - I am not your average Distance Runner so it makes sense for me - I ran a ton of Quarters on mile relays back in the day and was a triple/Long jumper as well - always loved the track always will

Ran 1 5K so far on the track and am looking forward to doing it again this summer, as well as trying to get a couple of steeples in.

50 miles on the track I can say without reservation that I would never do that... Double you are an animal
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, that was a great race for your daughter!! Thumbs Up
I agree with the sentiment that you feel faster on the track. I seem to run much faster with less effort.
I also think the Yasso's are a good workout. They tend to shake out at just a bit slower than 10K pace.

My top workout last year was 10 x 1000 with a 200 jog rest interval. I did this on a Thurday toward the end of August at Lewis and Clark at 7:15 in the morning. Slowest was 4:21, with the last 2 at 4:06 and 3:59. The 200's were done in 70 to 75 secs. Three days later I did my top speed workout: 3 x 600 in 2:05, 2:03, and 2 flat. Jogged 800 between each for an almost full recovery.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you like the 1000 repeats? The Daughter adjusted her Yasso 800s to 1000s during her training for the Richmond race. She is now training for Boston and she and her running partner are doing 1200 repeats. I wonder if she is starting to get her distances a little long for the purpose of the workout?
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have a hard time getting aroun dthe half a lap thing for some reason I have noticed and would rather do 1200 or 800 than 1000 - I don't know why just something I have noticed...

I have found some benefit in the Yassos as well in my training - what I did a lot of is alternate them with Mile repeats...
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say alternate them with mile repeats are you talking about yassos on one day and mile repeats on another?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I like the 1000's. You are running at a pretty good clip for 4-4:30 minutes. Last year, after I started getting over my foot problems, for a month I did 4 x 2000 on Sunday evening from the 8th lane with about a 215 recovery jog after each. My last workout, they were all under 9 minutes, with the last one at something like 8:37. I was looking for something to keep me concentrating for a decent time interval. There is also a lot to be said about developing running economy at your threshold pace. These workouts had a lot to do with my 10K at Stayton shortly afterwords where I ran 43:18.

Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in November, I think, Double mentioned Ingrid Kristiansen's website. I don't know if anyone has visited that, but I found it informative.

http://ingrid-kristiansen.com/holisticfitness/

That is the home page. I think the best article is the Marathon link. She is big on medium paced runs at 45 minutes. The Physical and Running links are OK, but the Marathon link has more practical applications, in my opinion.

AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah - I guess that was a bit ambiguous the way I stated it I was talking more on Alternate weeks - so if the speed workout was the Yasso 800's one week maybe the next week I would do mile repeats -
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaiiiiieeee!! I disagree! After all, no one can be king without some help. (figuratively speaking)
1. Training partners are essential. Without a buddy to run with, times will stink. I noticed this with myself, and my running friends all agree. Training alone does little to help you improve.
2. Coaches are essential to higher goals. Those 31-35 minute 10k guys are hungry to lower their times. They need somebody to guide and counsel them to their goals.
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: I for one think coaches are needed for serious runners... Reply with quote

For various reason that some posters have mentioned and I agree with a coach is definitely needed for serious runners (not neccessarily elite). The additional knowledge of a good coach is a plus as well as the push that coaches can give when athletes may not feel like giving it 100%. The fact that someone is willing to share their knowledge of training with you and believe in you and commit to training you is movitation enough for most athletes to strive to achieve moreso if they were without a coach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: