Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Team Guru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have broken a mirror or had a black cat cross my path or something! I've been fortunate to have had a very healthy team all year, that is until yesterday. My number 2 guy was out running yesterday morning, slipped off a curb and the trainer thinks he broke his ankle. On top of that one of my top 5 girls who's been having back spasms isn't making the trip either! Crying or Very sad And just in case I was tempted (which I wasn't) to bring back the kid I suspended, he has mono! Now I'm glad I didn't emphasise running well at this meet.

Wow hows that for a nightmare of a day! Sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that just plain sucks. Sad When do you know for sure about the guy's ankle?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should find out either friday or monday. The doc wasn't in when he got the x-ray, but this is the same ankle he broke last April that kept him out of outdoor. So the chances are that it was still a little weak from that break and that when he sliped it broke again.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was one long trip for a really tough race. It's 11+ hrs one way with three 10,000 foot plus mountain passes between here an Gunnison for the conference meet. Whew what a drive, fortunatly the weather was descent, only seeing a little snow on the way home. Wow are Western's men and Adam's women good! Western put 8 of the top 11 in the mens race and Adams dominated the womens race. My poor kids ran their guts out but were just gasping for air most of the way, the race was run at about 8000 feet! My top girl however ran the greatest race that any runner I've ever coached has run. She finished 15th (which is pretty darn good in this conference) and actually gained on the top girl from NM Highlands (which is an altitude school, 6500 feet) from when they raced a month ago at OSU. My guys really missed there #2 runner who was out with that ankle injury. My top runner had back spasms during the race and ran about 15-25 places lower than I though he would have and actually got beat by the runner who's 3 on the team. The rest of the team really had a hard time with the altitude, with only one of them breaking 32 minutes (and he's usually my 6). So as you might guess I'm very glad to have that trip over.

Now for a little good knews. The girl that sat out this weekend was back at practice today, she ran and said her back was feeling good. And even better my number 2 guy was with the trainer today, he said that his ankle is feeling much better and the trainer thinks he will be able to go for regionals, thank goodness! Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lungs and quads are screaming just thinking about it... Surprised

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to the team. They made it through the nightmare in the mountains. Now when is regionals and what can we expect?
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regionals is November 9th. And as always tell my athletes you can expect the toughest race in the US (possibly the world) on that day. There are always a ton of good teams and individuals and this year looks tougher than usual. Western will win the men's race going away, (they perfect scored finishing 1-5, 7, 9 last year) the women's race won't be that open and shut, I expect Western to press Adams harder than they did last weekend. As for my kids, the ladies have all pretty much been there done that. They know that it's a really tough really fast race that required a lot of bravado and guts. The course is flat and narrow so it's crucial to get out well and then just hang on for dear life, if you get out poorly the leaders are too fast to run down from behind and the coarse has enough narrow spots and tight turns to make passing difficult. I think my top female runner will do well, she learned a lot running on this course two weeks ago and she'll use that knowledge. The rest of my ladies really need to all run well and have a team or two ahead of us slip in order to grab one of the top 5 national quailifing spots. A difficult but not impossible goal. The men will learn a lot. If my senior (#2) comes back from his bum ankle he will race well, he's that kind of a kid. I also think that my #3 will run well, he's a kid with more guts than brains, so this is a race that he can do well in, especially since he isn't shy about making space for himself in a tight spot. My number 1 can run well if he runs smart and is healthy, however I'm very concerned however after his back problems this week. Behind that my young guys will probably end up a little dumb founded, they've never seen a race with this many top notch runners, I'm just hoping they can run tough the entire race and learn as much as possible.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Jumping Jehosaphat Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I am an instant fan of your #3 guy. How can you not like a guy with that kind of discription? Very Happy

With more guts than brains he is well on the way to being an ultrarunner.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can personally vouch for more guts than brains working much better than more brains than guts when it comes to running...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as a coach and a fan it's hard not to like my number 3. Get this, he was so slow in high school that as a freshman in college my predissesor told him that he couldn't even walk on and that he'd never be a college level runner. That made him a little upset so he trained hard with the local high school (a power house) and when I joined the team he walked on. He has gone from an 11:10 3200 runner in high school to a 26:55 8k runner in college (cross country). For those scoring at home that means he's now running his best 8k's 13 seconds per mile faster than his high school best 3200 Exclamation He's a little more passionate than the rest of my guys which sometimes lead to outbursts that can annoy the other guys, but I don't mind because if he gets mad it just makes him work harder. Besides as I'm sure coachd will attest I had more than my share of profanity laced outburst when I was in college.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy looks like a classic example of a runner who developed way past what his high school times predicted. It would be nice to see him develop even more. Good luck to all the runners in the upcoming regionals.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we leave for regionals tommorow. And for any of you that don't know the week before the biggest meet of the season for a coach has more drama than an enitre years worth of "All My Children." We've had athletes coming off injuries to worry about, transportation, rooms (it's pheasent season in Kansas and that means hunters take all the rooms runners don't.) meals and just about every thing else you can think of.

On the injury and illness front, both the girl and guy that missed conference two weeks ago will be back and running. The girl is still having some back problems although not as badly. The guy, well he's running on a hair line fracture of the fibula. But he's one tough individual, I just hopre he doesn't hurt himself worse. But he's a senior and he is bound and determined to run. And if that wasn't enough my top girl, who's been rock solid for me all year started getting hives last week. She went to the doctor and they told her she tested positive for mono. Sad Although since she had that as a sophmore (at least the way I understand it) if you've had mono in the past two or three years you can get a false positive test result when ever your under stress. So here's hoping for a false posititive. Of coarse with this girl, a little mono should barely make her think twice, especially after that awesome race she ran at Gunnison, in the thin air.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got your hands full ... best of luck!!! Thumbs Up

Oh, and make sure that guy has signed all his release forms before running him on a fractured fibula...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the season has come to an end. My men ran about as well as I thought we would finishing, 13th out of about 22 schools. The women finished 11th out of 26. Which is actually not bad considering my top girl was sick and actually ran slower than she did two weeks ago at 7,700 feet on a tougher course and my number two girl fell in the second mile wrenching her knee and was unable to finish. We were helped by a solid performance from the girl that is usually third (as she was again this week) and the best run of the year by my girl who usually runs 6, she was second on the team. As for Guru vs coachd my men finished one spot better than his men who were 14th and his women finished 9th two spots ahead of my girls.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a successful season to both of our resident coaches. Tough to end a season on an injury... Your top two women still have eligibility, right?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: