Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Wow Bowerman Mile Field

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Wow Bowerman Mile Field Reply with quote

Check out the field for the Bowerman Mile at the PreClassic - should be a good one!

MILE
Bernard Lagat
Rachid Ramzi (Bahrain)
Alex Kipchirchir (Kenya)
Alan Webb
Nate Brannen (Canada)
Jason Lunn
Laban Rotich (Kenya)
Elkanah Angwenyi (Kenya)
Kevin Sullivan (Canada)
Mo Farah (Great Britain)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the usual cast of misfits they bring in for that race... I'd guess it'll be about a 3:52 for the win.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Webb's show of strength over the 10,000 ??? Don't you think that will help him in this race ??? My guess is that he is going to try and take it out a tad faster than usual and hold on ... I think he is capable of under 3:30 if he runs the right pace ... What do you think ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be shocked if he's in 3:2x (1500m) form this early. As for Oregon conditions right now, we've been having some rather windy weather that'll make for slow distance races.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but we're about 3 weeks out right now ... Conditions will be much better for Pre, and Webb will have had time to sharpen ... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he isn't sharpening by then, otherwise he's repeating his early peak mistake from a couple years ago.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps ... But couldn't he sharpen for this meet; train through Nationals (since there is really no team to make) then be prepared to peak in Europe ???

This would be his BIG domestic appearance and he could give the fans what they want ... And then still be prepared to do his thing on the circuit ... I'm just thinkin that with the time he just dropped in the 10K, now would be a great opportunity for him to really try the hard run in the 1500 to see how he fares - before he gets over to Europe ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That argument was put out there before and I claimed it couldn't be done to that extent ... and he failed to pull it off. Neutral

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately, the weather has been good, but it gets tempermental at times in Oregon. The meet is on a Sunday this year. Last year Webb set the American Record for 2 miles.

There's been talk of up to 3 Americans dipping under 13:00 for 5K this year. Webb has certainly shown that he has great range. The record he beat for a first time 10K was Pre's, by the way.

Dan, you were in Eugene for XO. What did you think of the new warmup track, and splitting up the track and sprint areas.

Twilight, Saturday, Pac-10 next week, State HS the week after, Pre the week after that!! What a May. Very Happy

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather was so nasty for X/O, I hardly left the bleachers the whole meet! I never even ventured over to the warmup track, although I heard it's been redone and is once again nice like it was 10 years ago. (When I say nasty, I mean 40 degrees, relentless rain, and consistent 30 mph headwinds. Gotta love repeat winter storms in April.)

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're up early! Yes, that weekend was wretched. The Pepsi Meet the week before wasn't bad.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was so exhausted after practice that I lay down for a brief nap at 8:30 ... woke up at 2:30 am! I've been doing some work around the house the past couple hours... Probably just as well my sleep schedule is out of wack, as we're going down to Grants Pass on Saturday, leaving at 5:15 am and spending 4+ hours on the bus. I figure it'll be easier to take an evening nap and stay up the rest of the night, then sleep on the bus, rather than trying to wake up early and being groggy for the whole drive.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got back to your emails. How is the health of your athletes?? Is Ricky going to compete? Read all the comments on the Coach's firing. It might just be you and Ed Ford next year.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a tiny bit less crazy this week... Ricky's bouncing back well after last week's knee flare-up. I rested him quite a bit last week and he had one of his best workouts ever Monday. Unfortunately, that left him quite flat for yesterday's showdown with one of the top 800 guys in the league, and he really struggled. I think he'll be good and strong for Saturday, although it remains to be seen how he'll handle two hard races after the layoff. He's seeded 4th in the 1500 and 2nd in the 3k. I'm hoping to see sub-4:10 and sub-9:00. I believe we have 17 people competing, some in multiple events. Most of the events have pretty strong fields; several kids just missed the cutoffs. Should be nice in terms of not quite so many demands on my attention.

http://www.grantspassrotary.org/track/MenSeed.html
http://www.grantspassrotary.org/track/WomenSeed.html

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: