Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Team Guru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Loper is actually short for Antelope

Coming back to this... Wouldn't the Lopes be more fitting? I don't recall ever hearing of an Anteloper... We've got the Lutes out in this area, but I'm not quite sure what that stands for... At least they had the sensibility not to call themselves the Luters (looters). Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what inspired the change from Lopes to Lopers. We've got lots of old pictures in the halls of our gym and in the back ground of a lot of them you can see Go Lopes signs. I think there was a chancellor back in the 80's that made the change. Although I don't know the whole story on why they made the change.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pre-Season D2 Cross Country Polls were released yesterday. We're in the North Central Region. Which on the women's side has 6 of the top 24 ranked teams and 3 of the top 4 in the national poll on the women's side and 5 of the top 20 including 3 of the top 6 men's teams. Team Guru didn't even make the top ten teams in the men's or women's regional rankings . Sad

We will see UNO and the University of South Dakota this weekend so we'll see how those rankings stack up to reality. On my women's side I expect to surprise some people, but I'm biased.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough region you've got. Makes the DG Darkhorses title all the more fitting!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! Cool

And I wouldn't have it any other way Thumbs Up
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well were off to the South Dakota Invite, we leave shortly. There will be two nationally ranked teams in both the men's (USD 14 and Minn-Mankato 16) and women's (UN-Omaha 24 and USD 16) races. It will be interesting to see how we do. I've heard rumors that USD might not run a full squad but I'll tell you when I get back. Until then nobody start any trouble, that's my job. Wink
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First race, 2 first places Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation My top male and female runners both won their races. The top guy (my D1 transfer) was a man amoung boys. He took the lead at the 3k mark and went on to win my a wide margin. On the women's side the same girl that's been my number one runner for two strait years won, she stayed with the lead pack (her and three other girls) for most of the race and moved with 1k to go and they couldn't respond. Thumbs Up

Overall the times were slow. The coarse, normally pretty fast, had been rained on for two strait days and was soft. Like running on a mattress. Sad There was no official score kept, but just by eyeballing it looks like we got third in the team category in both races, I'll sit down and figure out the scores later. The winning times were 25:59 and 19:07. The rest of the team did pretty well, some runners had better days than others but all in all a good day. Here is USD's site with results and an article on the meet.

My mens team took a small step forward just by having the young guys getting the experience of running against outside compotition for the full 8k distance. They are still learning to race the distance and adapting to the training but I saw some things I liked. As for my vets they ran tough although my number 2 guy was still feeling the effects of a bought of dehydration he had earlier in the week. And my number 4 comming off a cortizon shot in his hip, which has had him sidelined for about two weeks. On the girls side I was very happy for my top runner. Her dad has been having some health problems and was unable to come to the race. It's the first one he's missed in several years. With the rest of the women it was a little up and down but after two very tough weeks in a row that's expected. We've got an accumulation week coming up this weeks so they should be fresher for next weekend, which is a bigger meet.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Coach!

Looks like your teams did real well.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ... Congratulations are in order ... Sounds like your team was well prepared ... Good job ... Looks like a good year is ahead ...

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Now if you can just convince your top individuals that all they have to do is not lose another race this year...

Quote:
I'll sit down and figure out the scores later

C'mon coach, you're supposed to have a running tally of the team scores in your head at every mile split! Smile I never could figure out how Coach Matt (Willamette) could do that for the top 3-4 teams and still find time to pay attention to his 30+ guys in the race...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try but all I end up with is a headache, Confused I think that is one of those things that takes a few years of coaching CC before you can do with any accuracy. Here are the team scores for the top three teams on each side. Women Team Guru 62, UNO 35, USD 38. Men Team Guru 76, USD 43, Mankato 43.

I don't know if I'll get my top runners to go undefeated, but the fact that there each of them proved that they are better than any runner on two nationally ranked teams speaks well for their chances of getting to the national meet as individuals should the team not quailfy, but that's getting ahead of myself. We still have a lot of ground to cover before I should start talking about nationals.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Guru Update: We ran at the Woody Greeno Invite saturday. That's a home meet for both the University of Nebraska and Neb. Wesleyan.

On the men's side we did well. My numder one and number two runners were both around the same times that they ran last week on a much tougher coarse. And my young guys continue to progress, I still need my number four runner to get healthy, (they just changed his diagnosis form IT band to bursitis this week resulting in a change in treatment that I think should help). And my freshman are slowly starting to come around although they are still running better in workouts than in the races. Probably because the workouts are broken up and it's a lot easier to focus for one interval at a time as opposed to an enitire 5 mile race all at once.

On the women's side we did very well. Although not as good as the results say we did. They have our score with UN-Omaha's name and our name with Omaha's score. So we were fourth instead of second. But still that's pretty darn good when you consider that Concordia (Neb) who beat us by 14 points, but only 3 seconds in cumulative time is ranked fourth in NAIA nationally. And we beat Central Missouri who is ranked nationally as the 15th ranked D2 school as well as Hastings College and Doane College who are ranked 14th and 15th respectively in the NAIA national poll. So we did well. My top girl did loose to the top runner from UNO this week as well as to a very tough runner from Northern Colorado who is in our region. She'll need to beat at least one of those two later on for things to go our way. But all in all I'm pleased. Of coarse it would be nice if this success would translate into a national or at least top 10 regional ranking, but that might be asking too much since pollsters generally don't like to say that a team that right now looks to be fourth in thier conference is one of the top 20 schools in the country Neutral Oh well, that just makes it easier to sneak up on people.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to keep the progress curve steep and steady! Smile Looks like that was a pretty tough course based on times. What do you figure, about a minute slow? You can guess my reason for asking... Wink

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about the adjustment I'd give. Probably about 50 or so seconds for the guys and 35-40 secs for the girls.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Bowler's time was the 15th fastest ever run, I'd guess it was a very tough course!! What is the course record??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: