Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
54.5 hours to go ... getting anxious!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: 54.5 hours to go ... getting anxious! Reply with quote

The countdown to my first quasi-race in a year has begun, just over 2 days to go... Considering the dismal running shape I was in for this annual event last year (I was in good basketball and lifting shape, but I had just started running a week or two before the race after taking most of the spring and summer off), it's arguably my first race in two years. My goal is to run 4 minutes faster than last year (different course), but I don't exactly remember last year's time with any accuracy...

138 miles over the past 5 weeks, with this last week being intentionally low... Prior to that stretch, it would have taken me easily 10 weeks to accrue such mileage.

Ok, I'll stop rambling now and get on with the rest of my rest day. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!! Cool

Remeber it's okay to loose to the winner of the women's race. Just don't loose to the winner of the women's 80+ age divison Wink

And as I tell my athletes, the vomit goes on the top of your shoes, not on the bottom!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any of that advice coming from personal experience? Smile The race will be combined male/female, so I'll have to keep an eye out... Especially with my planned strategy of going out extra conservative to try and work into a rhythm instead of blowing up from lack of conditioning like I usually do at these damn events... If I fall behind early and don't know who's ahead, there may well be an 80 year old in front of me. Smile

Quote:
the vomit goes on the top of your shoes, not on the bottom!

Interestingly, the race is being held where the high school course used to be, which was the location of my first ever (and only time there) cross country race. And yes, I did throw up after the race... Sad

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make it a point to be at that race, Tuesday. I'll be wearing a navy blue Western States 100 shade hat, so if you avoid me because I look like a complete buffoon, I'll understand. Surprised

Just hurry up and finish so I can go watch the workout at Lk O with Kevin.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh, expectations... Now I'll have to put on a show. Smile

Quote:
Just hurry up and finish so I can go watch the workout at Lk O with Kevin.

My primary goal is to finish sometime Tuesday...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering what you said in your first post here, I'm expecting a world beater!! Exclamation Exclamation After all, you've been tapering for this for a year, now. Exclamation Surprised Confused Thumbs Up

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapering for a year? If I'm going to look at it that way, I've actually been tapering for 5 years... I figure conditioning lasts for 2-3 weeks max, so I think I'm just beyond the taper threshold. Sad

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UH, so how have your meso-, macro-, and microcycles been going?? Surprised Surprised Wink (Sorry, I tried, but I couldn't stop myself.)

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan all my race advice comes from personal experience Smile I have lost to the first woman in a race (actually it was the first girl Stormy Weber in the 5th grade fun run) but I've never lost to anyone over 80. And as for the vomit quote it's been a mantra of mine for years. When I was in college we actually had what we called the breakfast club (anyone that raced so hard they lost thier breakfast) if you didn't make the breakfast club at least a couple of times a season you were considered a punk.

Good luck and remeber to wear old shoes Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cycles here, I've settled on training squares -- you eventually go full square, but it sure seems like a lot of out and back half the time...

The breakfast club, I like that. Smile

Dan
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What distance is the race? You mentioned you were in "lifting form" - whats that mean? - are you a weightlifter? If so, how much can you bench press?
Good luck!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 5k, XC. That was last summer at this time that I was in better lifting shape than running shape. I haven't done bench press since about '94. I decided it's a fairly useless excercise... The best I managed was 225 pounds (I weighed 150, so I was pretty happy with 50% over my weight). From late spring through mid-November last year, I lifted weights all but maybe 10 days, many of those days lifting multiple times per day. For a stretch of at least a month during the summer, I could hardly lift my arms I was so sore. Smile

Dan
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats really good! Do weights come in pounds in America? Over here they are all measured in kilos. 225 is about 100kg isnt it? I suppose thats free weight isn't it? Because some people use the kind in gyms where you put a pin in to select the weight, and thats easier. I want to be able to lift about 100kg freeweight one day, but it'll be hard as I only weigh about 60kg.
Good luck with your race! What kind of time are you hoping for?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Most weights in the US are marked in both pounds and kilos. 225 pounds is 102 kilograms, so you were quite close (roughly 2.2:1). I always opt for free weights when I have the option, if nothing else because it also works the small muscle groups from balancing the bar. Weight machines tend to have differing resistance throughout the path, too.

I'd be quite happy with 21 minutes tomorrow. Doesn't sound like much (actually, it sounds like a lot, but in the wrong manner Smile ), but I haven't even trained at that pace for more than half a mile or a mile, so it might be overly ambitious...

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, while on my easy tune-up run this afternoon, I remembered some more details from that first-ever XC race of mine on the course I will be running tomorrow... It was my sophomore year, way back in '89. I had run track the previous spring, but that was my first time running as a sport since 4th grade (I played soccer during that time and wanted to get back into track in 7th grade, but my knees were too bad to walk, let alone run Sad ). Needless to say, I didn't know what exactly to expect... The first meet I was eligble to run was on our home course, 2 weeks into the school year. I say eligble, because there was a co-hosted home invite meet the first week that you had to have something like 10 days of practice time to be cleared for, and I didn't go out for the team until the start of school, having been in Canada all summer. Actually, in the previous spring, I had gone to football meetings and was unsure which sport I would go out for...

So, there I am the day of my first ever XC race, not sure what exactly to do. I asked one of our better runners (I think it was our top guy who went on to be state champ, but I'm not positive) how I should run that 3k, and he told just to go out with the leaders on the first of three loops, then try to hold on. I didn't realize what exactly I was in store for with that advice... The team we were up against was the best in the conference that year and was deep enough to take 6 of the top 7 spots in the conference JV race. Unfortunately, those were the guys I was trying to hang with... The course was fairly flat, but there's one good hill at the start of the final loop. I could barely see straight by the top of that hill! I've never had my head spinning that badly before or since... I made it through the chute before throwing up in a nearby bush. From that day forward, I never ate a deli sandwhich for lunch...

So there you have it, that was my first and last experience on that course, and quite a memorable one! 13 years later (is that lucky or what??), I get a chance to redeem myself, and the guy who gave me that godawful advice will probably be in the race. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: