Distance Den
WESTERN STATES 100 - 2004

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Ultras Reply with quote

Too many long runs wear me out. My back to backs look more like 20/15 and at times the 20 can be at sub 6:30 pace and at other times 8:30 pace. I take what the day gives me. I am not a proto-type runner. I weigh 170 pounds on a 5'10" frame. I was as much as 210 pounds in 1998 when I started back after a 14 year lay off. My resting heart rate is in the 60's. Training is like a set of tires on a car. You can work them hard, or try and get some years out of them. Either way the engine is what governs the life span. To answer your pace question, I've done it all. I've charged out and won and charged out and died. I've came from way back and I've just had bad days period. Eventually you wear out those tires and need to go in for a new set. That's my position now.

For Ice Age, I am more successful going out steady. I don't try and peak for Ice Age as I usually have other things going on around then. I just had a terrible 100k two weeks ago, so Ice Age will definately be a cruise control ultra. Having some leg problems, so just hoping to rest up and have a good day.

Last year I used Ice Age as a training run for the 100. I was about 16-17th at 21, 7th after 33, and 3rd by 40. It's a battle of attrition. I ran the last 9.9 in about 1:19 so I was running my fastest at the end of the day. That is a rare occurence. I've also ran as slow as 1:29 for the last 10k of an ultra. Tough to read the tea leaves at times. When racing I tend to lay it out there. That's not as successful as I would like it to be, but if your gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.

I train to run fast. I think this is necessary at any distance. Before the World Championships 100k, I was able to use Chicago as a workout in 2:48. I was able to get my 8k speed down to 27:03 in the middle of training. However, that's nothing compared to most of my teammates. Many could run around 24-25 for the 8k. I only made it because of luck and I was able to go out fast at nationals (5:58:04 at 80k) and not die as bad as some others.

Didn't make it this year, but I ran and finished in a royal crash and burn of epic proportions. That's life. Running has been good to me. God has gifted me in unique ways. It's all about and doing the best you can do. I'm better if I compete against myself. The rah-rah attitude in ultras doesn't get you past 30 miles very well.

Sorry for the rant.

Double
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there was a lot of wisdom there, thanks.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double, I don't know how I missed your reply this long. Paul is right about a lot of wisdom being there. I love "if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly". I'll use that! Very Happy

Another interesting entrant to WS on the women's side. Jennifer Phiefer won the American River 50 this year and appears to be in good shape. She has run WS before so she knows what to expect.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wierd, I missed it, too.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Way Too Cool 50K, American River 50 mile and the Miwok Trail 100K are all considered to be good lead up races to Western States. Ann Trason has won all three races in past years but she did not run in any of them this year.

I don't want to read too much into that but I would have thought she would have raced one or two of them as she got ready for this year's WS. I haven't heard of any injury problems. Has anyone else?

Of course she could just be training and not racing at all right now.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if she finds herself not recovering as fast as in previous years.

Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be the case. She is 42 or 43 now so she may just be training and resting and concentrating on WS only.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Raia is reporting in his Endurance Sports Newsletter that Ann Trason will NOT run in this years WS 100. Raia is well connected to the ultra world so I would believe his news. This would explain her abscence from the races I mentioned earlier and it would open the women's race up to a very interesting competition.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly changes things. Who becomes the favorite, both due to Trason's absence and the advance knowledge of not having to strategize around her being up front?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....I am going to have to look back at the entrant list to see who all is going to be there. Emma Davies and Luann Park come to mind immediately because they have both finished in the top three at WS so they have the experience and knowledge of the course.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason given for her absence?? I find it hard to believe she would stiff what she knows is a terrific fan base. Unless she has suffered a serious injury.

Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Ann's abscence has to be due to injury because she hasn't been in any of the races this year that she normally runs. Now who are the front runners this year with her gone?

Last year Luann Park finished 2nd, Emma Davies 3rd and Suzi Leon 4th. They have the experience and know the trail so they have to be taken seriously. Also Jen Pfeifer who has run WS before and who won the American River 50 this year. Connie Gardner has run some very good 24 hour races and finished 8th last year. But her best runs seem to be on flatter courses. Park took 2nd at Way Too Cool 50K this year but Davies was only 8th at the Miwok 100K.

The easterners would be led by Nikki Kimball who was the female Ultrarunner of the year last year. She ran a 6:32 at the American River 50 last year which is one of the fastest times ever. But I don't know if she has run a 100 before. Janice Anderson has won a ton of races in her career, in fact she is second only to Trason in number of wins. But she hasn't won a major ultra in a while. Still, she was in the top ten last year and could pull a surpise. I also like Bethany Hunter in spite of her inexperience at WS.

With all things considered I would say Luann Park and Nikki Kimball would be the early favorites but look out for any of the women mentioned above.

What say you Double?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, ever consider a career in ultra color commentary? Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it....I will have to do something when I retire. Very Happy

As far as the men go Scott Jurek has to be the favorite until someone beats him. I'm going to take a closer look at the entrant list and see who the contenders might be. Dave Mackey, Jorge Pacheco and Joe Kulak come to mind first.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One name that slipped my mind is Steve Peterson. He took third last year and has also won the Leadville 100 in Colorado. Pacheco was second at WS last year and has won the Angeles Crest 100 in southern California. Joe Kulak holds the record for the lowest combined times for the Grand Slam of ultrarunning...WS, Leadville, the Vermont 100 and the Wasatch Front 100 in Utah. You have to do all four in one year and I believe Kulak won Vermont and Wasatch in the process. He won the Old Dominion 100 in VA also.

Mackey is an up and comer who went under 6 hours at the JFK 50 last year but I do not think he has run a 100 yet.

Bet on Jurek but if he has an off day Pacheco, Peterson or Kulak could come through. Also don't be suprised if Tim Twietmeyer has one more win up his sleeve or Dean Karnazes puts it all together and sneaks in for a win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: