Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Top 5 Greatest 100m Performances Of All-Time...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Top 5 Greatest 100m Performances Of All-Time... Reply with quote

These are my picks for the Top 5.

Men
1.Maurice Greene(USA)9.82s, Edmonton World Championships 2001.
RT:0.132s, Wind:-0.2m/s. Disadvantages:Inflamation of Tendinitis in his Left Knee, Tore his Right Quadricept, Pulled his Right Hamstring and had to run into -0.2m/s headwind.

2.Robert Lee 'Bob' Hayes(USA)10.06s, Tokyo Olympic Games 1964.
RT:???, Wind:+1.3m/s. Disadvantages: Had to run in a chewed up raked up Lane,He ran in borrowed Spikes!!! The Track World of 1964 didn't have the advantages in which we have today(e.g. Performance enhancing drugs,synthetic track, specially made spikes desinged for hitting the track at the right angles etc...)

3.Ben Johnson(CAN)9.79s, Seoul Olympic Games 1988.
RT:0.132s, Wind:+1.1m/s. Disadvantages:Celebrated 5m early from the line easing down in the last 10m.

4.Maurice Greene(USA)9.80s, Sevilla World Championships 1999.
RT:0.132s, Wind:+0.2m/s. Disadvantages: Stumbled in the first 10m of the race, this affected his acceleration phase(10m-20m:1.03s(!) 30-40m:0.88s)

5.Ben Johnson(CAN)10.03s, Zurich Grand Prix meeting 1986.
RT:???, Wind:-1.3m/s. Disadvantages: Eased down in the last 15m resulting in a last 10m Split of 1.00s(!) After a reported 10m Split of 0.81s taken by Charlie Francis from his VideoTapes in the 60-70m section.

What are yours...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are a few others, but I would probably pick Tim's 9.78 or Donovan's 9.84 before Ben's 10.03. Overall, very good picks, though. Thumbs Up

By the way, I recently got the Tokyo Olympiad Criterion Collection DVD with great footage of Bob Hayes' 100m and relay runs. Excellent viewing. If anyone's passing through the area... Smile

Dan
X King
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about those collections. Do they have Criterion collections of every Olympic Games???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's the only one. Criterion doesn't actually make the movies, they just prepare extra special editions of films they deem important enough for their treatment.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much was that collection?? Does it have good footage of Schul and Mills. I suppose I should hold off for the entire Barco-Fosgate system to be installed before I invite myself down to view it. Wink And, of course, there's Hill Training to think about. Surprised
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it has very good Mills footage. That was fun to see, because it brought back memories of the very entertaining presentation he gave a few years back when I was at OSU. I think there was some Schul footage, but I'm not positive. Nearly half the movie is dedicated to T&F, which was a pleasant surprise.

Retail on the movie is $40. Typically sells for $30-36, but I got mine for $24 or $25 new on eBay (after watching lots of them go by for closer to $30).

The Barco is scheduled to arrive Saturday... And the hills aren't going anywhere. Smile

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can relate to that. I haven't been going anywhere, myself!! Confused Very Happy Surprised
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still recovering from the Lake Run?

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knees and legs still sore, but getting better. Will go over to LO tonight but will just jog some, no intervals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: