Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Team Guru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is your thread; I'll let your opinion stand...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Polls came out this week. 7 nationally ranked teams in my region (NC) on both the men's and womens side. sssheeessshhh! Rolling Eyes We are still ranked 9th in the women's regional poll.

National Poll
Regional Poll

Notice that the South Central doesn't have a single ranked team in their region on the women's side. And since we're not ranked and are better than the best teams in that region I'd have to say deservingly so. Still I stronglly think that there should be some at large teams that get to go. Since if regionals hold true to the polls two ranked teams from the NC will be left home while two unranked teams from the SC will be running at nationals. Although again it would still be hard to get in as the 8th place team in a region.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we're off to Ft Hays this morning. My women are the defending champs. The course is flat and if the wind stays down the times should be fast. The compotition should be interesting, several D1's send their B teams down and if Butler CC shows up on the women's side we'll be hard pressed. They finished second to us last week but their top runner was in the D1 race and is an absolute horse. All the guys are excited to get to run on a course where they can finally turn in good times. I never put much stock in times for X-C races, but I know for a fact that this course is acurate to with in about 6 inches and the total rise and fall can't be more than about 12 feet from the highest to th lowest point. So if you want a course where you can judge yourself against the clock this would be the one.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru's girls win for the second week in a row... sort of. We had the top non-D1 team on the womens side, we lost to Air Force in the overall standings 37 to 50. We did beat CU's JV and UM- Kansas City (a small D1) strait up as well as all the D2, NAIA and JC teams which made up our compotition in the college division. Still I really wanted that overall win. It was pretty windy which slowed times slightly. My top girl had as close to an off race as she's had all season and still finished 2nd in 18:59. She lost to a good girl, running on her home course. The rest of the ladies ran well. We went

Place (overall) Time
2.......................18:59
8.......................19:33
12.....................19:42
14.....................19:59
18.....................20:11
19.....................20:12
21.....................20:14
44.....................21:10
68.....................23:46

This is the second week in a row my top girl has broken 19 and my second girl has broken 20 minutes. My 3 and 4 runners also broke 20 for the first time on an X-C coarse, with my number 5 runner (who had trouble with back spasms all week) this week who broke 20 as my 3 last week, that makes a top 5 that have all gone under twenty on legit 5k courses. This weeks 3 and 7 ran the best races of their seasons, 3 set a new X-C personal best and 7 has improved from a 21:45 the first meet of the season. I know using numbers instead of names makes it a little confusing to determine who did what, Confused but I'd rather not go rattling off my athletes names all over the internet for all too see. Besides the people that really want to know can just go to the team site too put names with numbers. Thumbs Up
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The men ran pretty well. You could tell the young guys had raced well last week, they had a little bit of a let down race. But they are still running much better than they ran at the begining of the season. My top runner ran the fastest race of his season, inspite of taking the lead straight into a head wind early. Although I can hardly blame him he lead the field through the 800 in only 2:30 so it wasn't like he was blitzing from the start. We went

Place(overall)...................Time
7.....................................25:53
17...................................26:36
34...................................27:13
82...................................29:07
83...................................29:09
92...................................30:24

The older guys are just cruising along right now waiting for the big races to roll around. I think the young guys felt that a little. Also this coarse has a ton of long straitaways and tight turns that if you don't really bare down on mentally can cost you a lot of time. And with young runner focusing for the length of the race is the hardest thing for them to do. Still we looked offly thin out there. I'm sure going to have to hit the recruiting trail pretty hard this year (and get improvement out of my young guys) if I want a men's team on par with my womens in the next year or two.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!! I SHOULD WRITE A BOOK AFTER THIS Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I was just surfing around a check this out, everyone here knows by now that CU (who was there today, even if it was only there JV squad) is coached my Mark Wetmore, but I just saw that UM-Kansas City is coached by none other than Irv Ray!!!! How many people can claim to have beaten two coaches of such high reputation on the same day. Although they both got me back in the men's race, but who cares. How this for career head to head coaching stats. Women's teams head to head Guru 2 Wetmore 0, Guru 1 Ray 0! Although if you figure in the men I'm only 500. And we'll just forget that it's CU's JV were racing Wink

After this I may have to call it a career and live off the royalties from my book deal Wink Wink

And if anyone's worried about me getting a big head don't. Our next race, two weeks from now, is the conference championships at an altitude of 8000 feet against the toughest conference in D2, which are almost exclusivly altitude schools. Not to be negative but realisticly speaking we're going to get hammered. Sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break out the champagne!!! Smile Way to show those sorry excuses of coaches the way it's done out in Nebraska. Thumbs Up

We'll all be holding our breath for your conference report, and I'm sure you'll feel like you're holding yours, being in that thin air and all...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG, sounds like you are having a good season. But I really hate that your conference meet is at 8K altitude. That has got to be tough on your guys. What elevation is UNK?

Does the elevation factor have a psychological effect on your runners? Can you go there early enough to be able to aclimate at all? I imagine it would be tough to do that with class schedules and budget restrictions. Good luck though. We will be wishing you the best. You can even tell your teams they have fans as far away as the swamps of south Georgia!! Very Happy
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck with the book!! If you were to just throw a few sheets together with some workouts on them, I'd buy it!! Exclamation Exclamation Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Congrats on an excellent, but tough week!!

Paul
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New recruiting ploy?? "If you wanted to run for a big D1 school, but keep getting ignored by them, come to UNK where you'll have the chance to routinely hand their asses back to them on a platter!!" Surprised

Hmmm, that might be a bit over the top!! Confused Embarassed Rolling Eyes Wink

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's a ploy used by almost every small school coach that has a time worth beans. Especailly since most of the rank and file schools in D1 are pretty much no better than the top third or so of smaller schools. And as Western and Abiline have been demonstraiting lately the top schools really aren't that far apart either.

The altitude here is somewhere in 1000 to 1200 foot range. The highest point in the state is only 5400 feet so we'd have to cross state lines to do any kind of real altitiude training. Lydiard wrote that if you did a ton of lactate threshold running you could prepare yourself for racing at altitude. Of coarse he also said that altitude training was worthless, something I know from personal experience is untrue. Also with regionals and nationals mandated never to be held higher than 3000 feet I wouldn't take time and energy away from our regular training plan to prepare for what is essentially a meaningless meet. (Conference championships have no baring on anything and when you have no hope of winning you don't sweat them much).

So what I'm doing is telling the kids we're basiclly going for a fun trip, the run is going to hurt, but they really can run as hard or as easy as they like. I just ask that they run the last mile hard. And that they keep in mind that this meet means nothing. The thing that sucks is that this is by far the most expensive trip we'll take this year (about a 12 hr van ride). So not only are we going to have a tough unimportant race, we get to pay an arm and a leg to do so. Confused
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your philosophy going into the conference meet is a bit strange sounding to me. I would think that you want to win the conference. That seems to be a major goal in most sports and with most teams.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most D2 schools don't have to race against a team that put 9 runners in front of the defending D1 national champs 5th runner. Sad

One thing about this sport that is both nice and cruel at the same time is you usually know almost exactly where you stand against the compotition. And here we are good team on the women's side and a very green team on the men's side. We are up against the two and three time defending national champions (Westerns men 3 women 2) that are both currently ranked number 1 in the nation and might actually be better than last year. Oh and did I mention were going up in elevation to 8000 feet to race them at their place :question: The goal for conference is to keep the team from being horribly demoralized going into regionals. Which is where you quailify for the national meet, which is our goal. In this case I'm sacraficing one meet in order to run well at the one that counts. Sometimes even I have to be realistic.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes even I have to be realistic.

Must ... exercise ... restraint ... Crying or Very sad

Dan
- this is torture!
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense when you put it that way DG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: