Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Marathon Training that works the best

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trixietre
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Marathon Training that works the best Reply with quote

Hello, I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on training? I work full time and go to school 3 nights a week. I would like to put a schedule together that suits my needs but i am unsure of how to balance between running, weight lifting and speed training?

If you have any good websites or books you can refer me to or just maybe your schedule so that i can have a pretty good idea of how to begin i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Cool
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I go into specifics of how best for you to train and the balance between, aerobic running, wieght training, and speed work. I need to know your running history, what are you doing now for training, how soon is the race you want to run and how much running have you done in the past.

Generally with your schedule I would generally recommend running either in the mornings before work or in between work and you night classes. As for books it really depends on your level, in my mind the best book out there on how to train as a distance runner is Joe Vigils Road To The Top but if your a beginner your probably not up to the level that book would have you train. If you are a beginning runner (and it pains me to do this) I recommend using Runner's World training website to get you started. I know there are plenty of good books out there for novice marathoners, but I haven't read any books geared in that specific direction so I can't recommend any. Although I'm sure you will be able to find plenty to choose from.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you are a novice, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Jeff Galloway's website for training info. Even though many shun the running with walk breaks philosophy, it is a good way to get started without having to go through the trial and error bit all by yourself. You can also sign up for his free monthly newsletter. Another good book for beginners and working your way into racing would be Alberto Salazar's book on running. If you live in a fair sized city, look for these, and other books at your local library before purchasing.

Well, from your other posts I see your not really a novice, but if you've been running a couple miles here and there "forever", the above paragraph will still be of some help as you step up your discipline to enter your first marathon.

As far as weight training, don't let anyone in a gym talk you into a hour and a half program 3 times a week. Your running is going to take up enough time as it is concerning your present schedule. A simple circuit training program done 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes would be more than adequate.

Besides that, anything you see here from DG, Dan, Micah, or "Mad Dog" Mike should be given careful consideration, they know what they are talking about.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from what you've told me about your training here is a general outline for your training. You've got about 6 months to train. Assuming that right about now you can do a long run of about 6 to 7 miles here is what I would recommend. Begin running now three to four times a week with a long run of 6 to 7 miles. Each week increase your long run by one mile for three weeks in a row and then on the fourth week decrease it to one mile less than what you did at the start of the progression. So for example if you started today this week, week 1, would have a 6 mile long run, week 2, 7 miles, week 3, 8 miles, week 4, 5 miles. Then start the next cycle by adding one mile to the longest run of the previous cycle. In the above senario week 5 would have a long run of 9 miles. If I am doing my math right (I don't have a calender handy) there should be about 7 four week cycles between now and your race. Get a calender and pencil in the distance of your long run for that week, set it up so that you run your longest long run (which should be in the 22-24 mile range) about 14 days prior to your race.

For the first and second cycles I would focus on running steady mileage. You can do some striders during this period but the focus is on aerobic mileage. As for wieghts, do them if you can, squats, crunches, bench press, lat pull, upright rows are some good general exercise for general fitness. But I would not recommend skipping a running work out for wieghts. In by the start of the third four week cycle I'd encourage you to add in a day of cross training to your 4-5 weekly runs. Swimming, biking, roller bladeing are all good, I personally would get an Aqua Jogger and do some pool running, I'd try and set it up so that you can cross train either the day before or after your long run (I personally would do it after). By your fourth 4 week cycle you should begin to do some form of tempo work. Tempo run's and fartleks are what I would start out with. And you can advance to intervals (400's, 800's, Miles ect) by the 5th cycle. Do those once a week during the 5th cycle and twice (preferably one tempo and one interval workout) during the 6th cycle. In your seventh cycle progress as normal for the first two weeks. For the final two weeks, reduce your mileage by 25% the third week of the cycle and by 40% the week prior to the race. Continue doing intervals and tempos as usual through the third week, during the final week do one light tempo early in the week. As for long runs in the final cycle do your biggy in week two, in week three go for one of about 9-12 miles and obviously you won't need one the final week.

I hope the advice I give helps. Remeber this is just a guide so use it but you don't have to live and die by it. And good luck. If you need any further advice let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: