Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Race finishes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that unless its the 100m, the guy with the strongest finish has the best chance of winning. I ran the 200m today and had an incredible finish to run a 23.1 hand time. The key for me was relaxing and having somebody to try and catch. Just look at Michael Johnson in the 200 and 400m-he slows down less than everybody else in the end(strong finish). I think that the best 800m runners have the best finishes too-they dont have to go out in the first 400 and be winning the race. The better 800 runner could be either the miler or the 400m runner. I still am leaning toward the 400m runner that has a strong base who does longer intervals-500s minimum. Im trying to do the 800m, but so far I have had trouble pacing myself.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave M']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job.

It's also true for the 100m. Even the top sprinters begin decelerating around 60-70m. I agree that the top runners tend to finish strong and not have to blow it out early, but I think that's a bit deceptive. The top runners are generally where they are because they're the best. That means they have the ability to control the race in a variety of ways. If they are confident in their kick, they will often wait till the end instead of expending unneeded energy running from the front. The main exception is in record attempts.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I ran the 400 in the badger state games. it was hot and as I was warming up I noticed I felt a little sluggish. Once the gun went off I ran hard and made it in 52.04s another pb. I was very surprised, but now I realize that anything can happen in a race.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave M']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on a roll! I've often found that the days I run best are the days I least expect it based on how I feel, and the days I feel great often produce mixed results. I've never understood why that is, but at least it helps for staying positive on days you don't feel so hot. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: