Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
How to beat the heat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2000 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to beat the heat of this summer. I drink at least 5 glasses of water a day before I run. How much difference does eating during the day make? Also should I increase my water intake? I always find it hard to run during the summer, since I'm training for the upcoming XC season. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mark Wilkins']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2000 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Do you mean eating vs. not eating, or what and when to eat? You definitely want to eat during the day, although running in the morning would probably mean not eating till afterward. Five glasses of water is probably insufficient. I would aim for 8-10; err on the side of over hydration and adjust from there. The single biggest thing I find that helps with running in hot weather is your mindset. It's not always easy, but if you stay focused on the running and don't worry about the heat, it's quite possible to run as well as you are used to in cooler temperatures.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the advice. I will try those ideas out. If I find that I'm still getting tired, then I'll write back with what is going on. If anyone else has any tips, please respond.
Mark

mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, this past week, doe to my commitement to driving school, I have been running at night around 9-11PM, and I have been doing great. It is much cooler, therefore you lose less sweat and have more water for your muscles and you can run faster! Later in the day your metabolism is also the highest so that might help you run fast. I also run Cross Country.

I think I will run at night for the rest of the summer, there are almost no cars driving, its cooler, and fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2000 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mjsbossman,
thanks for the tip. i ran at night last night and felt much better than i did earlier on in the day. i'm going to start running at night too. it's so much nicer outside. but i'm going to start doing 2 runs a day pretty soon. so i think i'll go out early in the morning around 6 and then run at around 9 at night. thanks for your help again.
mark

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2000 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like candidates for a midnight mile! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: