FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Injured again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Injured again Reply with quote

For about the last two weeks I have done little running in order to try and get my old recurring injury to go away. I've only done about 2 3k runs and played football, or "soccer" a few times, but apart from that nothing.
My right hip aches a little all the time, and gets worse after a run of something like that. When I first saw a doctor about it ages ago they said it was an inflammed ligament and would be ok if I rested for about 6 weeks, which I did, and the injury kind of went away for around a year, but not completely, I could always tell it was there. Now it seems to be getting worse - I had started doing 800m intervals each day as well as my normal 3k run, and after about 2 - 3 weeks of this I started to notice the injury. When I saw a doctor about it and tried to get them to refer me to a physio, they said that the physio would probably just give me some stretching exercises to do, and that there would be no point in referring me as I could do these anyway. I remember Dan said something like doctors don't know anything about running injuries once - i agree.
I was thinking of doing the london marathon this year, but I know that after about 2 weeks of that kind of training I'll get injured. How can i get this to go away? I normally do stretches before running. Also, would putting ice on the affected area help? I think this is a relatively minor injury, but it just won't go away. whenever professional footballers get injured with worse things than I've got, they normally start playing again in a month or two, so there must be a way to get this to stop forever.
As well as doing the marathon, I want to start doing more interval training to get better at track running, and I also want to start sprinting ( i really feel the injury after doing sprints). Right now I cant do any of these. All I can really do is a slow run, and even that effects me a bit.
That was rather a long post wasn't it? Smile thanks for reading it and I look forward to your advice.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that problem is still lingering. Sad In addition to saying previously that a lot of doctors don't understand running injuries, I think I also said there's no reason to believe rest would heal an "injury" of that sort without also addressing the cause of the problem...

Quote:
Also, would putting ice on the affected area help?

My preferred system is heat before, ice after. Heat the area before running to increase blood flow and muscle warmth, then ice after to reduce swelling or inflammation.

Quote:
I was thinking of doing the london marathon this year

Whoa, start smaller!!! You've been talking about mile-type running, now a marathon jumps into the picture? How about a build-up diet of 5k's and 10k's to test the waters?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to doing what Dan said, I would go find a doctor that will refer you to a physical therapist. Though I think it is a generalization to say doctors don't know about running injuries I think that it's unfortunatly more often true than untrue. I have also seen physical therapists work wonders. So my advice is a second opinion.
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the marathon, if I could train without getting injured I don't think it would be a problem. It should only take me a month or so to get used to the different kind of training, as for about 6 months one year ago, my average run was 5 miles. I was training for the marathon then but found out that I had to be 18 ( i was 17 then) I did a few 10 mile runs which werent too hard, and even did an 18 mile run ( my longest ever) in exactly 2 hours, which meant I was probably in line for a respectable marathon time of around 3:15 or something.
It had taken me about 9 or 10 months to get to that level after starting running - my 1500 when I started was about 8:10.
I now have the same amount of time until the marathon, and am very fit to start with, so logically, i should be able to get even better than I was then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: