Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Young 800m runner

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is 11 and runs the 800m. Her best time is 2:51. She just started racing a couple months ago. (but she runs all the time in play.)

We have been doing 200m repititions at about 40 seconds with plenty of rest in between. Somewhere between 4 and 6.

She does 400m walk and 400m light run (2:00) to warm up.

And on the warm down, she does what she wants. Usually 800m in about 4 min.

The workout varies, based on what she wants to do. I encourage her to stop before she gets too tired.

On Thursday before the race, she runs no more than 800m total.

She hates running more than 1600m at once and I won't force her. Is there a problem with this?

Since there are only 2 weeks left in the season, I won't change the workout now, but what should we be doing in the offseason before the start of indoor in November.

My thoughts were to work up to 400m repititions instead of 200. And we would work on the 3 main parts of the race.

1. Upwind cruise
2. Downwind easy glide
3. Finishing surge.

At her age, I think this is mainly a question of technique

When it is windy, we will do 2 x 200m repeats upwind and 2 downwind.

At the end of the workout, I'll have her practice a final surge one time starting a few feet before where we started last time. The idea will be to allow her to start this final surge earlier in the race. Perhaps in one practice a week, we will do it maybe 2 or 3 times. But never to the point of exhaustion.

If you would like to email me, my address is gary_thaller@hotmail.com

thanks for your inputs.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'gary thaller']
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you should get her to run some distance, not too long, but maybe a few 2-3 mile runs a week. These runs help jsut as much as interval training, they make your heart stronger, your muscles more efficient, and a whole lot of good stuff.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that some longer runs will help her all around, but at that age, I prefer to see kids running for enjoyment than for serious training. If she really doesn't want to run longer than a mile continuous, then don't force her. She'll get a lot more out of the sport if she's doing it because she wants to. I think your general approach is good, but I would be cautious about not overdoing it on the serious stuff. Teach proper form and let her know how it will help her.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
gary_thaller
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan and mjs

Thanks for your inputs. At this point, my primary goal for my daughter is to have fun. On the "serious" stuff, she is going at her own pace.

She picks her own workouts from a list of options with gentle suggestions. I have her slow down alot. I don't believe in running at more than about 80% capacity. This prevents injuries and adds to enjoyment.

We discuss how she is feeling quite a bit. She never runs until she is uncomfortably winded and we discuss her legs quite a bit. If they are tired, she stops.

The interesting thing that has happened as a result of this is she is able to adjust to how she feels during a race. Last race, she started out a little too fast. But adjusted in the backstretch and got rested so she finished strong. (She ran a pr on this race.)

As I'm writting, she has decided on her own to go out an run with my wife.

An interesting workout for kids. Goto the park and kick a soccerball around. Just kick it up and down the hills.

Perhaps my methods won't produce records. But that is not the goal. A love for running is. Once she becomes passionate about it, the records will come if that is her destiny.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

It sounds like you've got a good handle on keeping things at the proper balance of work and enjoyment. This might sound crazy, but let me add one more caution from personal experience. Awareness of how you feel, what you are doing, etc., is definitely a good thing, but overthinking is a bad thing. It's a very fine line that is difficult to correct once you have gone over it. I imagine it's something that becomes ingrained into you at an early age...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: