Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Training and sports drink question for the experts.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Training and sports drink question for the experts. Reply with quote

My first question is about ankle pain. About ten years ago I tore the tendons in my left ankle (i landed on someones foot playing basketball.) I run 3-5 miles 3x a week and when I hit around the three mile mark, my ankle begins to tighten to the point that sometimes I have to slow to a walk. I normally run on paved trails but when I trail run it doesn't hurt as much but I can still feel the tightening of my ankle. I stretch my ankle by doing ankle rotations before running. I recently purchased cushioned sole inserts and that has seemed to help a little, but not totally. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or can give me advise on how to prevent or lessen my ankle tightness?

My second question is does anyone use/recommend using Accelorade or Endurox as a sports drink?

Thanks everybody,
Ron
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, I'm cringing just thinking back to the time I landed badly on someone's foot playing basketball and could hardly walk for 6 weeks... Sad

I always recommend the ProStretch for any lower leg tightness issues. That silly looking thing works wonders! I had a lateral compartment problem (achilles area) that exhibited similar symptoms to your ankle tightness; usually kicked in after about a mile and a half. The two things that I found worked best were daily ProStretch'ing and loosening my laces enough to relax any undue tension.

As for sport drinks, I think they're mostly a gimmick. They taste good, but water pretty much does everything you need for during-exercise, and it won't upset your stomach.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Sore Ankle and Wahtah is Betah Reply with quote

Dear Ron: If it aggravates your ankle to run three mile, three times a week, why don't you try alternating 2 3/4 and 2 1/2 miles five times a week.

Once you get used to that, you could start easing towards the three mile mark, and tentatively trying to pass it (then regressing slightly). Eventually, if all's well with the world, you will be able to run long miles without pain Very Happy .

As far as replacement drinks go, I'm completely in accord with Dan - they are mostly hype :t-: : a pinch of salt in flavored water.

If you'd like to make your own Powerade-like drink, just cut "Surge" with no-name mineral water until the flavor is almost gone -voila! Both Surge and Powerade are made by Coke, the formulas are similar, but Surge is more concentrated and far cheaper. Dr.(Mad Dog Mike) Schreiber www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, where've you been???

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of loosening the laces on your shoes. Another thing you can try is lacing your shoes so that the laces are one or possilbly two holes lower than they usually are, depending on the shoe. This should have a similar affect to loosening the laces without loosening the entire shoe.

As for sports drinks I've read several things and have actually had a nutritionist tell me that some sports drinks are better than water. Although only slightly. If my memory is correct adding in about a 1.5%-3% solution allows for the absorbsion of carbohydrates without significant slowing in the rate of water absorbsion. The exact percentages may be off put it's about the amount that you find in gatorade, powerade ect. But as far as any kind of big time benefit of a drink over good old fashioned water I haven't seen anything that I would run out and pay much money for. So in my opinion go out and buy the generic sports drink mix at the local grocery store, or try Mad Dog's recepie.

Correction make that Dr. Mad Dog. I knew you had your Ph.D (or at least that's what I thought you had) what has inspired you to start signing with it?
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Why the title Reply with quote

Dear Dan, I've actually been out running Surprised ! Running too much, as it turned out. I over-trained on the hills, peaked too early, burnt-out and am nursing an iffy hamstring Confused .

You'd think that after all these years, I would have learned to take my own advice...but nooooo, not me Rolling Eyes .

Dear DG: Duh, I didn't realize I was doing it - my little wooden head isn't what it used to be Sad . Mad Dog Mike [/url]www.training2run.com[url][/url]
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the ankle pain you might try visiting a physical therapist who is familiar with sports injuries. I had a great experience doing that after being plagued with stress fractures. He measured me for orthotics and they have worked wonders.

Water is probably as good as you can get for anything under a 2 hour run. If you start going over that and especially in warm weather then the sports drinks can be beneficial.

Good luck and feel free to jump into our other discussions. Some times we get down right lively. Very Happy
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A physical therapist!! That's a great idea, (which explains why I didn't think of it) and much better than just taking advice from a bunch of guys over the internet who can't see, feel or measure the mobility and strength of the joint. Bravo Micah Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's a great idea, (which explains why I didn't think of it)

That's a classic line!! Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: