Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Faster running, is it all in the head?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this could be the case. I ran a new pr today in the 400-52.23 hand and 52.57 auto. I ran the race basically all by myself because it was the slow heat-the only reason I ran that time was because I believed I could do it. Another factor was that I have reduced my training on the track to 4 days a week and 2 weight workouts a week. I felt smoother and the race felt very easy. Any thoughts on the mental approach to running?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave M']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, nice job! Smile A lot of running is mental, but the toughest-minded runner in the world couldn't do jack weighing 300 pounds and running on a broken leg. In other words, the body has to be able to handle what the mind convinces it to do.

Four days on the track is still quite a lot. How many were you at before? At every level, from beginner to world class, it is common for people to report their best races as being almost effortless. It's that rare occasion where preparation and relaxation come together beautifully. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2000 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another 400m race today and I ran it the hard way because I went out a little slow. I was out in lane 6 with nobody outside me to catch so I ran ok the first 100m then didn't maintain it. I reached the 200m mark in around 25.7 or so, then I ran the fastest second half of a 400 ever and did another pr of 52.44s. It was very painful, but a relief after I heard the time. I think that my mental approach was very different than my last race because of a long wait for my race today. Last Wednesday I did a good workout and it included a 300m interval in 38.4 seconds, so I know that I can go faster, but it wont happen unless I improve my focus mentally.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave Murphy']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2000 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I'd say your mental approach is pretty good, based on what you've said. Many people have given up on themselves before toeing the line if they get a "bad" lane draw. It's important to develop the ability to run well in different conditions, because you can never count on things being favorable for a big race. It sounds like you took what the race had to offer, stayed well within yourself, and had something to burn when you had to. That's good!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: