Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
How many miles for the 5k?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 29 year old runner who has been running for 5 years. My 5K PR is 17:29 but I would like to get my times down into the 16's. I currently run about 35 miles a week but most of the people I talk to who run in the 15 to 16 minute range tell me they run 60 or more miles a week. My question is, how many miles should I run if I want to run my best 5K. I do a weekly speed work out and a tempo run with a long run of 10 miles. I also work about 45 hours a week, but am in the process of switching to a desk job so I am not on my feet most of the day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave Bailey']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I don't think there's any proper mileage for any given race. However, each person has a mileage level that will work best for them. I would put a 5k at about 50-60 miles a week, but I know people can do well on 40 and others require 100.

I have actually found that desk jobs are MUCH harder on the body than physical standing jobs. All the sitting down is incredibly detrimental to running at the end of the day. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response to my question. I have found that when I have attempted 50 mile weeks in the past I have felt tired and sluggish. Probably because my easy days were not easy enough. I think I will gradually increase my mileage to about 50 but make sure to run real easy on my easy days. Also, I have started to alternate mile training with my 5k training. I did this in the hopes of increasing my speed. As a result my last 2 5Ks have been PRs. Is this a good idea or should I just stick to 5K race pace. I've read that to train for the 5K you should not run your repeats to fast or you are training your aneorobic(sp.) system but not doing anything to increase your VO2 max. which you need to do for anything over 3000 meters. Any ideas?

By the way, great site!

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Gradual is definitely key! Too much too soon leads to too little later... What sort of mile training are you mixing in? I don't see anything wrong with doing that, although you will need to pick one race as your emphasis. Something as simple as 100m strides after a long run can go quite a ways toward developing speed without sacrificing endurance.

Thanks for the compliment! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mile training consists of running quarters between 70 and 75 seconds depending on how I feel. I usually only do about 6 of these since I am concentrating on speed rather than endurance. I also run my tempo run about 20 seconds a mile faster with a break between 10 minute intervals. I alternate mile training weeks with 5k training weeks. You mention strides. How fast should I run these and how many should I run. Also, you mentioned that sitting down all day could have a negative impact on running. I've heard that standing all day causes blood to pool in your legs which can cause some fatigue. And I have noticed I feel more energetic after sitting at my desk all day as oposed to standing for 10 hours. Just a thought.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I have worked jobs where I stand all day, and I have worked jobs where I sit all day, and I would take the standing option without question. Standing may make you tired, but sitting makes my legs disfunctional and very sore at the end of the day.

For strides, they should be close to maximum effort, building up to speed as you go. Four of them is usually sufficient.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2000 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have one more question. I am a small runner even compared to other runners. I'm 5'8 and only 120lbs. Given my small size, I think my biggest weakness is my lack of strength. I would like to do some strength training but I'm not sure what I should do. Should I do endurance type training, low weight high reps or should I try to add a little bulk. It probably wouldn't hurt given my small size, right? And how many days a week should I lift?

Dave

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2000 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely do have a slender build! That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. One only needs to look at the African distance runners to see the advantage to such a body type. I would focus on endurance-oriented lifting at least initially. You can build a lot of strength without increased bulk just by making the muscles work in a new way.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: