Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
ballin' sprinters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: ballin' sprinters Reply with quote

This was just posted today to the t-and-f list:

Quote:
note in today's transactions that JJ Johnson (Raiders) and John Capel (Chiefs) got cut.

I assume that's the same JJ Johnson that has disappeared from sight on this summer's European circuit. Could explain the double donut (100/200) he's produced on my Fantasy roster...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep ... One and the same ... Sad thing is that both of these guys could make more money running track - Especially Capel !!! One or both of them could own the 200 !!! Oh that's right ... The 200 doesn't pay !!!!!! Will someone send a note to the IAAF ....

Conway
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Jett is the only big time track guy I can think of that was really a success in the NFL. If I remeber right he was a starter for the Raiders for at least a couple of years. Has there ever been any really good sprinter that went to the NFL and then did really well?
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna show my age here but Bob Hayes is the first to spring to mind.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few cross over claims to faim, including Hayes and Jett, Nehemiah, Ron Brown, Michael Carter (not exactly a sprinter Smile ), Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and possibly Deion Sanders. Each met with varying success in the two sports, obviously. I believe we discussed this list at some point previously, and Conway could probably fill in the blanks better than I.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Earl McCullough (spelling?). It has always been my opinion that the HH people have fared the best in the NFL, not excluding Hayes and Walker. How about Lofton? He's now involved in Masters T&F and ran in Portland a couple of years ago when Nike sponsored the World's Masters. Mel Renfro comes to mind. He was a great 2 sport athlete at Univ of Oregon in the early 60's and went on to become 10 times all pro.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to mention college athletes I think Johnathan Ogden (a pro bowler for the Ravens) was an NCAA champ in the shot for UCLA.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !! You guys did great !!! I would add Mel Gray, Cliff Branch, O.J. Simpson, Richmond Flowers, Willie Gault, Mike Miller, Curtis Dickey, Isaac Curtis, Michael Bates, James Trapp, Eric Dickerson, Darrell Green, and Eric Metcalf ...

All of these athletes, as well as those previously mentioned, were Olympic caliber athletes in the sprints hurdles and long jump !!! Hurdlers have done well in teh NFL but there have been far more sprinters that have done so ...

Either way, all were lured away due to the money !!! Imagine Michael Carter who threw the high school shot 81 feet !!!! And while still in college was out over 71 feet and won a silver medal in the Olympics - all before the age of 21 !!! Simpson, Disckerson and Dickey never gave track full attention ... And Dickey ran 10.11 !!! Lofton and Metcalf were 27 foot long jumpers while still in college ... Bates was faster over 200 while still in college (20.01) than either Lewis or Johnson (won '92 silver) ...

Track and Field has lost a ton of talent to the dollars of football ... It needs to try to find a way to retain it !!! Capel and JJ Johnson are just two in a long line that have been attracted by the dollar signs of "another" professional sport !!!

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the discussion we had where DG contended that the sprints are stronger than the distances in this country in part due to sports like bastketball and football adding to the talent pool, while Conway contended that they take away from the sprints more than they add in. Smile

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't follow football that closely, so I forgot all about Branch, Gray, Flowers, Gault and Curtis. By the way, I was at BYU in 1967 for the NCAA's when USC took 4 out of the top six in the 100 yd. Simpson was the 4th USC runner and garnered the 6th place. USC's 440 yd relay team obliterated the world record with 38.6 at the meet. They won by half the straightaway!! Exclamation Surprised Thumbs Up Since Lennox Miller was on the team, it couldn't be ratified, of course. This was before most of you were born, in fact, even Micah was still in grade school! Exclamation Exclamation Wink

Paul

P.S. How many people remember Mel Gray singing backup on Marvin Gaye's What's Going On record??
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
This reminds me of the discussion we had where DG contended that the sprints are stronger than the distances in this country in part due to sports like bastketball and football adding to the talent pool, while Conway contended that they take away from the sprints more than they add in. Smile

Dan

And I only listed guys that were actually stars in track and field !!! guys that would be top 10 ranked in the US !!! there are tons of guys ranked in the top 50 in the sprints, hurdles, long jump, and shot put who opt for the pro football dollars !!! These are guys leaving the sport by the age of 21 who never get to realize their full potential !!!!

Paul I didn't know Mel Gray was a back up singer !!! I presently live in his home town ...

That 4x1 in Utah was legendary ... They were the first to run sub 39.0 .. And they were NOT The favortie at the start of the season as UCLA also had a world class unit ... They are the last collegiate squad to hold the 4x1 WR ... And even today few squads are able to reach that level !!!

Conway

Last edited by Conway on Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was only backup on that one album. Actually, I think Marvin had a number of Detroit Lions in on those sessions.

Paul
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnb470 wrote:
He was only backup on that one album. Actually, I think Marvin had a number of Detroit Lions in on those sessions.

Paul

Still looks good on a resume !!!!!

As do the track exploits of all of the afore named athletes ... Imagine if James Trapp, James Jett, Michael Bates, and Eric Metcalf had NOT gone to football but had stayed in track in the early/mid 90's ... One the US would NOT have fallen into a slump in the long jump as Metcalf was a consistent mid 27 footer ... Two, it is highly likely that we would have had contenders to Linford Christie and Donovan Bailey as Trapp, Jett and Bates were all capable of sub 10.00 ... Three, MJ may NOT have dominated the 200 as Bates was young, a bull as a competitor and was just learning the 200 - @ 20.01 !!!!!

Believe it or not football has had a profound effect on the fortunes of the world of track and field ... Would be interesting to see a "proposed history" of the sport IF certain athletes hadn't left !!! I have no doubt, for example, that the WR in the 110H would be at least around 12.80 right now !!!!

Conway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: