Distance Den
54.5 hours to go ... getting anxious!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story!! For safety's sake, I may wear galoshes and a raincoat tomorrow. Very Happy Very Happy
Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was going to mention how happy I am about the weather. After hitting 104 here last Tuesday, tomorrow's forecast is for 70 and possible showers. As long as I don't suffer from hypothermia, that should be nice and refreshing! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, Good luck in the race today. I'm looking forward to a detailed race report! Just don't use my race strategy of "start slow, then taper off".
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make sure to embellish wherever I can. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nike - Just Do It .. Good luck Dan ..
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will personally be at the race to give you an unbiased report on the Chief Pontificator. If anyone can think of some really stupid questions for me to ask at the end of the race, ala ESPN, now is the time to pipe up. Rolling Eyes Surprised Very Happy

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh... I'm packed up and ready to head out the door, so I won't have to bear witness to any of this Carol Lewis brainstorming. Surprised

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnb470 wrote:
I will personally be at the race to give you an unbiased report on the Chief Pontificator. If anyone can think of some really stupid questions for me to ask at the end of the race, ala ESPN, now is the time to pipe up. Rolling Eyes Surprised Very Happy

Paul

Question (in the words of dear Carol): Dan you look tired .. Are you tired ?? Was the race really longer than you thought it was ???

Wink
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan my advice is run hard, run so hard that when people see you running they go "wow... that guy is running hard"
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Was the race really longer than you thought it was ???

Funny you should ask that, I think the course really was about a minute long...

Paul, did I beat you back? Wink

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the unbiased and lab-accurate details of the race. Exclamation Exclamation Surprised Weather conditions, dry, about 65, but that seemed cool considering last week's 100+ degree temps all over the state, even on the coast. A very relaxed atmosphere with a new course that hadn't really been marked and tested, and with several tight turns to slow things down even more. The high school coach said this was the course test run. The Chief ran what looked like a solid, even pace throughout (I was in a position to view him 5 times during the race), with a nice finish the last 500m. Dan could have shaved 5 sec a quarter off his time, in my opinion, so this was more of a race to build on. Thumbs Up

DG, Dan didn't join the Breakfast Club today until I mentioned that if he felt he needed a little pick-me-up, I had a six pack of SpaghettiO's in my car. At that point he got a bit green around the gills. Confused Surprised Wink

Oh, he also managed to hold off all but 2 of the girls J.V. Team!! Wink Wink

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Dan!

How'd you do Paul?
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you've done the race now yeah? How did it go? How fast did you do it in? Are you going to start racing more often now?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he also managed to hold off all but 2 of the girls J.V. Team!!

You know the bad thing is, I don't even know if Paul is joking... I finished 12th (out of 40 or so, I would guess) and I know who was 1st, but there literally was no one in sight of me in front other than the guy I ran with the last half to two-thirds of the race.

I wasn't too far off what I was hoping for. My time on the much tougher, but more accurately measured course, last year was 25-something minutes of pure torture. I hit 22:39 yesterday, but I estimate the course was up to a minute long (based on splits and the time of the winner, who I know to be capable of quite a bit faster on that type of course). That would put me in the 21 minute range I was hoping for.

I stuck to the game plan of going out a bit conservative, although I lost sight of that around the 1k mark... A little before halfway, I was fighting a pretty good side ache and having difficulty controlling my breathing. Maintaining pace was a bit tougher at that point, but I was running alongside a high school guy that was pretty consistent. It's just as well I didn't feel good enough to pass him, because if I had, I'd of been in no man's land and probably would have just slowed up for lack of motivation... When we hit the narrow trail section for the final time, less than a mile to go, I was behind him and he slowed up significantly. Probably lost 10-20 seconds there, but it was a welcome break to try and get my breathing under control before the final hill. As I come up over that last hill (also known as the wall -- the hill of my previous story), Paul tells me I've got a quarter to go. I'm thinking, "what the $@#!, that's more like 500-600m!" But like the fool that I am, I try to launch a kick at that point. I maintained it pretty well, actually, steadily increasing the pace and managing to drop the h.s. kid. I was worried he'd mount a charge and my legs wouldn't remember how to respond, but he never came...

Most of the alumns I expected to be there were no-shows, so it was a bit different than alumni runs past. Fun times, though.

Anselm, I don't have any other races scheduled for roughly 364 days... My legs felt surprisingly good yesterday, though, so I may keep that possibility open.

Dan

p.s. I passed on the SpahettiO's. Smile
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Dan! How much training were you doing for that? I've been thinking of maybe trying a 5k soon, as my training is normally in that kind of area. I sprinted too much yesterday and hurt my hip - same old injury Sad d'oh! I'll probably have to take a week or too off.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: