Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Health Food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Health Food Reply with quote

Listen up, everybody!!!!! This is from Men's Health, a Rodale publication. They have a new cookbook out, A Man, A Can, A Plan. One ingredient they are high on is SpaghettiO's!! I am not making this up. I even checked the grocery store myself to verify the labels. A regular can has 12 grams protein, 64 grams carbs, 3 grams fat,and 6 grams of fiber. Even the meatballs variety has 14 grams protein, 64 carbs, 8 fat, and 6 fiber, still bringing it in line with the 40-30-30 rule. Plus its made with tomato puree, not sauce, so its very high in lycopene,a major phytochemical that protects against prostrate cancer, boosts the immune system, and fights atherosclerosis. Surprised Surprised I knew you'd all want this information as soon as possible!! Laughing

Is this site on the cutting edge of technology, or what!! Rolling Eyes Cool Surprised Very Happy

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to pick that book up. Do they have any dishes that inculde what's in my kitchen, spam, ramen noodles, mac n cheese, and empty beer cans? Wink
runner77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem with spaghettios i believe is that they are EXTREMELY high in sodium... am i correct?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most canned foods are high in sodium. In fact, a whole can of SpaghettiO's has close to 2000 mg of sodium. There are a number of low sodium beans and cheeses. If sodium intake is a problem, then, of course, the canned food needs to be limited. But runners can deplete a lot of salt on a hot day run. Sodium can also be balanced with other minerals that tend to help flush salt from the body.

DG: A lot of recipes with reduced fat shredded cheese, beans, chili, all kinds of canned vegetables, Pillsbury canned bread dough, and a whole section on cooking with beer!! Seriously, I can't see why spam couldn't be substituted in a number of those recipes. Rolling Eyes Surprised

I have already penciled in my menu for the next decade. bon appetit, bon vivant, etc. Cool

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I still have too many problems with the 40-30-30 theory to see that as a valid basis for choosing a healthy meal... Also, wouldn't SpaghettiO's and any similar product be largely processed (enriched/bleached) flours with virtually no nutritional value beyond the cheap and largely ineffective vitamins pumped back in?

Dan
- yep, I'm back Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about grits and cornbread?

Glad you're back Dan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: