Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Calf pain- help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2000 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a happy, low-mileage (5miles 6x/week) runner until last month, when the long muscles on the front-side of each calf began burning -- and very soon (.25 - .5) into the run, too. They'd hurt every life I lifted each foot (more on the upstride than down). Ten minutes after the run they'd be gone; it was some sort of muscle cramping rather than shin splints. Now, I consider myself fit -- I weight-train heavily, ballroom dance 3-4x/week, and stretch every darned day for 15 minutes -- and none of this is new activity. I eat and drink right. I changed shoes (to ones with more padding) and rested, to no avail. Why this sudden strange injury? And how do I get rid of it?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Sore Legs']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2000 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you change anything about your running, like different terrain or intensity? How long has it been since getting the new shoes? Sometimes it takes a few weeks for changes to kick in. How much do you hydrate (most people's idea of drinking right is highly inadequate)?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2000 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan. I didn't change anything about the run (flat, half-pavement half-grass, slow). The pain started on the two runs before I bought the new, admittedly very necessary shoes (old ones were Avia worn-and-loved-to-shreds, new ones full-support Brooks). I figured it was the old shoes and was quite surprised when with the new shoes, the pain was more constant, worse, and started earlier in the run. Could it be something about my stride, pronation, weight too far back or something -- aggravated by fuller-support shoes? I do drink upwards of 96 oz/day, so I doubt it's water. The only other changes to my routine have been heavier & more sets of squats (but I don't run when I lift legs), and creatine - but that shouldn't matter.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Sore Legs']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2000 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm not sure what to say as far as running stride, as it's rather hard to see through the computer... Supportive shoes, in my experience, lead toward a lot more foot and lower leg pain if the support is not necessary. It could be that you had an aggravation that was made worse by undue support.

You might try toe pointing and the shin splints exercise I recommend on the Running Tips page to work on the aggravated muscle region. Since you are taking creatine, it might be worth drinking as much water as you can handle, then back it off from there to a comfortable level, just to make sure you're not under-hydrated.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Mt calfs would burn like heck. It might be your shoes. I bought new shoes and by calfs started to burn, but after breaking in the shoes it was ok again. It also can be your diet, try eating tons of fruit and a sandwhich 3 hours before you run. It gives you tons of energy tofor your muscles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: