Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
taking off running time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicki
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: taking off running time Reply with quote

How does a 15 year old girl take time off her running?She runs everyday(2-3 miles).In her races she runs 2 1/2 miles in 22:00 on an adverage.She is getting very down on herself.Now this summer she is having pain at the side of her knee after she runs.I had her join a gym to ride the bike and to workout on the leg machines.But,the bike makes her knee pop.Should she stop the bike?And what time should she get when running in a meet.Not breaking records ,but just not being last.Thanks so much Laughing
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-3 mile runs put you right in the "rut zone," as I have come to think of it. Just enough to maintain fitness, but not enough to really improve on it. She might do well to try mixing that up a bit, maybe 2 miles one day, 4-5 miles the next, 3 the next, then a day off, then 4, etc.

I haven't found too many people that agree with me, but I've always seen biking as being much tougher on the knees than running. Especially so with exercise bikes, as they're very poorly designed with regards to ergonomics. Their seats are generally positioned much too low, so you should check that her leg is nearly straight at the bottom of the cycle. Otherwise, that's a lot of pressure being put on the knee and no chance to ever straighten out to relieve it.

For your other questions, please refer to my reply to your other post in the Distance Den (and please try to keep it to a single location for a question).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To improve her time she needs to run more. She should work her way from 2-3 miles a day to 4-5-6 miles a day.

It also sounds like she has a case of IT band tendonitis. Biking is a good way to take some of the pressure off the knee but like Dan said you need to make sure the seat is high enough or you'll actually be putting more stress on the knee than running. Also ice down the area both on the knee and above it along the outside of the leg after running. And remeber not to leave an ice pack on for more than 15 minutes.

Also, distance running is a patience oriented sport there are no overnight results. I would often go six weeks or more of very hardtraining without a tiny bit of improvement and then I would have a spurt where everything I ran seemed to be really easy and really fast. So be patient and improvement will come.
PoseRunner
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Time of your PR is no Problem!!! Reply with quote

Dear Vikki, your running times could greatly improve with a proper running technique. In the new age of running, any avid runner needs to have the tools to succeed. Proper running technique is absolutely essential! The Pose Method of Running is the most advanced running technique to date! Find out more at [url]PoseMethod.com[/url]!
________
buy vapir vaporizer

Last edited by PoseRunner on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see:

http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=804

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe how totally shameless Poserunner is!
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: I agree with you Dan, (Tah Dum!) Reply with quote

Dan, I certainly agree with you that biking can be tougher on the knees than running.

This is especially true with exercise bikes where people tend to crank down on the resistance, and pedal relatively slowly, but with great force.

It's much easier on the knees (and gives a much better aerobic workout), if you ease up on the resistance, turn up the RPM and pedal for an extended period of time.

Also, if you raise the seat, so the pressing leg almost (but not completely) fully extends, it will be less damaging to the knees.

However, even with all these changes, Dan is still correct: biking is more likely to cause knee problems than correct running, or treadmill workouts. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Even with a properly adjusted seat height and overall bike position, the knees are still locked into a pretty limited range of motion, though.

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I suffered through a bout with IT Band tendinitus my coach had me use an Aqua Jogger 3 times a week in my training. It still forces the athlete to bend at the knee but the lack of resistance helped me get through the injury, sort of. Later they gave me a cortosone shot to finish the season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: