Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
calf strains

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megaman
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have questioned lower leg pain in the past and felt that it might be shin splints. Through rest and massage therapy I recovered.Until now. The pain is now in my left leg and goes from my calf to behind the knee and into my hamstring.Again this came on out of no where in the middle of a run.What to do? Seek medical help or just stay off of it and swim and bike for a week?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a muscle strain, so a bit of rest will probably do it good. If it doesn't subside after a few days, you might want to have it looked at.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: General Discomfort and Injury Rules Reply with quote

As a general rule, if you get a (not horible) pain during a run, stop and walk for a short bit, then try again.

Do this several times. If the pain doesn't go away, go home.

Another general rule is, if a pain lessens gradually through a run, keep at it. If it steadily gets worse, stop and go home.

If you get injured while running, don't cut back on running, stop running altogether until you're better - but you should do something else to keep your fitness level.

When I was suffering from multiple stress fractures, I continued to go to the track. I put my heels up on the coping, and performed partial knee bends while my partners were running.

When I was finally able to run again, I found (to my great surprise) that I was in better shape than I had been before the injury.

If you have any specific questions along this line, please feel free to contact me through my website. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
PoseRunner
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: If pain is consistent, it could be improper running techniqu Reply with quote

Dear megaman, the massage therapy was a very good idea. But it only bandaged the wound. The real problem could be your Running Technique!. Most runners have different styles of running. But in truth there is only one way to run properly. It's beautifully illustrated, by world class running coach Dr. Nicholas Romanov. Check out his website for help with your injuries and proper running form! Good Luck... [url]DrRomanov.com[/url]!
________
MR Wagon

Last edited by PoseRunner on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see:

http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=804

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: