Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
1.5 miles in 14.15

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2000 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

I am going out for the police department and need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 14 minutes and 15 seconds. I have been aerobically training every other day by running around the track. I am up to 12 laps, three miles in 32-33 minutes. I really need some advice on what I need to do to get my speed up. I am lost and don't know where to turn. Thanks for the initial help.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Matt Koch']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2000 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

You obviously have enough endurance to complete the required 1.5 miles, but you might lack the pace (speed is not the correct term, as I've had it ingrained upon me Smile ). What you need is to develop the ability to run a tempo for a mile or so a little faster than the 9:30 pace. Have you tried running an even paced mile around 9:00-9:20? This would probably be a good place to start. If you can handle that, gradually increase the distance until you are up to a mile and a half. If you can't run that pace initially for a full mile, start shorter and build up.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2000 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

thanks.

I know that I could run, right now, all out for a 1/4 of a mile and come in around 2:15 or 2:20. I would however, have shot the wad, and have nothing left. If this is the way to start, fine. How / when, etc. should I start introducing this new very necessary addition into my training regime. In adddition, I would like to at the same time, if possible, keep working in my endurance. My wife likes what this is doing to my body. I kind of like it too.

Thanks,
Matt

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Matt Koch']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2000 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a quarter mile is the longest you can hold the pace, then it's probably a little too fast to start with. Whatever pace you can hold for a half mile is probably a better place to start. To develop a little more speed, keep the longer running you are currently doing and add 4x100m strides (relaxed accelerations) at the end of the workouts.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lond do you have before you have to run the test? I would recomend that you go for runs about 45 minutes long. If you can not run the whole time, its ok to take a minute break every 10 minutes or so. But anything over 45 minutes is excellent for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: