Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
10/10 cycle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
googlebot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: 10/10 cycle Reply with quote

If you train 10-14 sessions pr week, I have heard/read that the 10/10 cycle is the best to follow. Yhy? Because when you are training, your testo values gradually goes down, and it needs 10 days before it is normal again. Therefore you should train 80 % of normal in the easy week. And after 10 days it is normal again and you can traing hard. Marius Bakken
13.09 5k is using this method, and he says it works great!
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good, although I've never read of this method. If you know where I could find an article or book on this method and the theory behind it I'd sure appreciate it.

The technique is a little on the conservative side, but 80% isn't a huge drop and, as much as it pains me to say this, it is probably better to be too conservative than two aggressive. But all and all I can't find any real problems with using the technique. At least until I read more about it. Wink
googlebot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something interesting Distance Guru!
Quote from Marius Bakken 13.09 5k

"The ten days on ten days off cycle is based on the hormonal activity in the body. Testo values goes up and down in cycles together with other hormones. The East Germans - with drugs in their body made it a science to find out these changes. Later, Western scientists have backed this up with studies of 1) overtraining 2) perfect recovery ("full" recovery both in teso values, Urea and resting values on lactate and HR) 3) altitude periodization. Interestingly when doing altitude, everything in your body gets "more clear". You train too hard and you have to recover longer. You train optimal, you get faster results. Everything is extreme when doing altitude training, and your body responds extreme also. So the same with periodization. After altitude, you feel crappy for 10 days.....and there you go, the 10 days thing again....suddenly you feel great !!!

As for running two GREAT races in a row....BINGO....I have - like the East Germans on this racing thing, found out that you need 10 days to fully recover......as for REALLY hard workouts before a race...one of the best cross-country skiers in the world...well....10 days before a race, hard workout....it all goes in 10 days...personally I use 12 days hard 9 days easy, which works the same way.

Easy weeks basically means 80 % of what you are doing in the hard week - plus letting yourself ship 1 full day of workouts or two half days Smile

Marius

ps : I am giving you some good stuff. These things work."

Also visit his homepage, with a lot of good training info!!
Kenyan training, morrocan, potuguese, message board. etc...
www.mariusbakken.com

googlebot
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: How much altitude? Reply with quote

Dear GB: Any idea when the altitude factor enters the equation?: 5,000, 6,000, 7,000, 8,000 feet or more

I'm training and living at 6,500 / 7,000, and wonder if this is high enough to be a consideration?

I had been training hard/easy weeks - actually leap frogging: advance a step, back half a step, then up a step and a half.

For the past four weeks I've been increasing mileage/hours at a (small but) steady rate every week, and don't seem to be fully recovering. The Mad Dog is tired www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting sounding system, but I'm sure a lot of the blanks haven't been filled in above. Is the percentage of the max workload the only thing that changes in the easy periods, or do workouts vary as well?

10 day cycles may work well for a post-collegiate, but I can't imagine it meeting with much, if any, success in a structured team environment.

Mike, not happy with your user account anymore?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Mad Dog Mike forgot to log in!! Smile

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the people working on this system were from altitude or moved up to altitude from lower elevations. Until the last 10 months I had lived my entire life (and running career) at over a mile high. I wonder if that would have any bearing on the rate of recovery. I am also always sceptical of systems that are based around biorythms. At the University I attended there was a proffessor that was really big into that stuff. He wrote a couple of books on the subject that were, in my ever so humble opinion, huge steaming piles of garbage. Now maybe this is not the case with the 10/10 system, which again on the surface seems to be more or less logical. I'll have to spend a little time on the other web site to see what it's all about.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Ooooops Reply with quote

Cleaned the kooookies off my computer, and it must have dis-logged me. Am I back on now? Mad Dog (who still lives in the 15th century) www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: