Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Blood blisters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanessa
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2000 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have read a few of the discussion threads here and I noticed that you said not to pop blood blisters. I have been riddled with blisters lately and recently popped a blood blister. Today I went to the doctor and am now on a course of antibiotics for an infection in my foot (obviously related to the blister)just one week before my half marathon.... (!!)
Hopefully it will clear up and I will be ok to run, although there will be no training for me in the next few days.
a) Why do you say not to pop blood blisters?
b) Do you think there is any disadvantage in taking a course of antibiotics a week before my race?? (ok this is a stupid question as wihout them I will be unable to run at all!). But I was wondering if you know anything about adverse affects of medication before a race??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2000 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are fun, huh? Smile

I was told long ago that the reason not to pop blood blisters is that unlike regular blisters, they are a direct line to the blood stream, for lack of a better term. Also, the feet tend to not be the cleanest place...

As far as medication, tough to say. I could see it going either way. After all, regular ol' drugs hinder performance but performance enhancing drugs aid it. I'm not sure where antiobiotics fit into that picture. It probably varies somewhat with each drug.

Best of luck with your recovery, upcoming race, and recovery! Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vanessa
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesson learned:
I ran my half marathon and felt a fair amount of pain in my foot and a lot less enjoyment than I had anticipated. At the end of the race I took off my shoe to discover a monstrous blood blister on the ball of my foot and an extremely painful one under the nail of my big toe.
Ouch.
I went to Red Cross who said I had to go to hospital and ran me there in an ambulance! It was in Berlin and I don't speak much German so fortunately the 'wound' spoke for itself.... needless to say I now have to lay off the running for a while and I think I might invest in new shoes too.....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, that sounds like a completely un-fun experience. Smile Although, you'll probably look back on it and laugh in a few years.

Shoes can make a huge difference with blisters, as can good socks. Definitely worth looking into.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: